News   Jul 31, 2024
 306     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 281     1 

Jack Diamond's Four Seasons Centre inspiration

poomar

Member Bio
Reaction score
For anyone who knows the back streets of far-flung Montreal very well this building may be familiar. If not, it's rather obvious that Jack Diamond gets his inspiration from small buildings in industrial areas in poor cities.

Attachments

• 20-06-07_1835.jpg
    20-06-07_1835.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 20-06-07_1836.jpg
    20-06-07_1836.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 229
  • 20-06-07_1837.jpg
    20-06-07_1837.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 219
I remember walking by that building and thinking: i love it! Where is it--somewhere in plateau or mile end?

What I find most interesting of all these so-called "toronto architects" is that none of them were actually born here. I'm not being snobbish--I wasn't born in Toronto myself--but it is rather interesting--as opposed to montreal architects who were actually born in mtl!

Jack Diamond=south african
Peter Clewes=montreal!
stephen teeple=st thomas ontario (the boondocks;)

The ones actually born in Toronto? yeah they work for Tridel and other blah developers. 'nuf said!

why should you have to be charitable to enjoy the humour associated with this? anyway, the building is situated at Port-Royal and Clark--for those of you not too familiar with montreal it's basically at St. Laurent and Sauvé.

I remember walking by that building and thinking: i love it! Where is it--somewhere in plateau or mile end?

What I find most interesting of all these so-called "toronto architects" is that none of them were actually born here. I'm not being snobbish--I wasn't born in Toronto myself--but it is rather interesting--as opposed to montreal architects who were actually born in mtl!

Jack Diamond=south african
Peter Clewes=montreal!
stephen teeple=st thomas ontario (the boondocks;)

The ones actually born in Toronto? yeah they work for Tridel and other blah developers. 'nuf said!

The ones born in Toronto? You mean like Frank Gehry? Yeah...that's some pretty dull stuff he creates...

why should you have to be charitable to enjoy the humour associated with this?

Maybe because it's lame low humour of the "paint-roller abstraction" variety.

And besides, it's pretty much a self-admitted given and commonplace that a lot of the last century's great architects have drawn inspiration from small/minor buildings, industrial areas, poor cities et al. So, the joke's on you.

Now, if you slam anything that seems "based" on this sort of architecture, better it be those garish plate-glass super-shop-windows that are eviscerating Queen W, et al...

I don't know how telling the observation that those architects are not local is? Over 50 percent of Torontonians are foreign born. If you include migrants from other areas of the province and country how many Toronto residence are not Toronto born? Guessing 75-85 percent? This will no doubt change somewhat as the city ages and the population becomes somewhat more stable.

In an interview in the Post last year, Diamond likened his opera house to a mastaba, a composition of powerful component parts.

"Mastaba"? ... thanks for the new word.

As the poster of the "joke" reference, I should elaborate that I wondered if the first post in the thread was yet a further dig by one of those (numerous on this forum) who did not like the architecture of the Opera House. If so, it seemed a poor way to make the point. But maybe it was just that, a joke.

What is this building? What happens in that room? Why does it require total transparency?

Or is it, unlike Diamond's City Room, done as an act of affectation rather than of practical use - the equivalent of what we'd get if the shipping and receiving area on York Street was designed to look like the City Room?

Walt: There was a small item in the Globe the other day: Christo and Jeanne-Claude plan to build a huge mastaba out of 390,500 oil barrels in the desert of the United Arab Emirates. It'll be 2/3 of the height of the Eiffel Tower and could last for 5,000 years - as will the Four Seasons Centre, if opera fans are lucky.

Back