News   Apr 18, 2024
 534     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Islington Subway Station

Found the relevant building permits for the above. They ain't demolition!

1623211449346.png

The plan has been to move the existing routes to south end once Mississauga moved out. This will take the pressure off the the floor slab that is the roof of the concourse since it structurally unsound. The work will allow the routes to move in the next few months to the south end without the existing terminal in the way.

Once Mississauga takes over TTC 50 this fall, only need 3 bus bays with one being use as layover for the new terminal. That new terminal will require 2 years of work since there will be elevators in it and TTC not great at getting elevators install fast.

^Hmm very nice investigation work @Northern Light.

I was going to speculate exactly what @drum118 stated above. This is sounding more like prep work to move buses to the south end of the terminal in order for the eventual demolition of the 6 bus bays. I suspect the bus mezzanine level will be closed off afterwards then demolished, and passengers will have to connect to the subway via the street entrance on Islington.

Odd there's no mention on it on the TTC site, nor has there been any mumblings of a phased construction layout.

Another entrance needs to be built as part of the new development and agree all buildings are 5 meters setback from the street edge. It would be nice to see a grocery store as part of the new development for the site as one is badly needed for the area now and other development coming to the area. You could build that grocery store over the new TTC bus terminal area.
There is a new Sobey's built into the Bloor Islington Centre on the NE corner.

Didn't realize they were already tearing these down.

In a weird way I'm disappointed to see them go. At one point I was transferring there often, so there's a certain nostalgia attached to them.
Fond memories of burning the roof of my mouth on a patty while pigeons strolled in to eat up the crumbs.

Didn't realize they were already tearing these down.

In a weird way I'm disappointed to see them go. At one point I was transferring there often, so there's a certain nostalgia attached to them.
Well you've still got time to catch the existing bays in action, there's only 2 of them that are open and in use right now (Bays 3 and 4).

I *think* the plan is to demo the south end of terminal 6, which may also include its roof section as well. From there once everything is safe, move all the buses to the outdoor platforms on the south platform then establish some kind of temporary link to the west station entrance. It's at that point where we'd see the real action with the demolition of the existing bus bays, as well as the bus concourse.

Reactions: syn
1624048176-20210618-islington2.jpg

Apparently this is how it will look. I can't tell what angle this is from. Such a wasted opportunity to have this station as the podium of a taller building.
That shot is an north-west at at new Aberfoyle Dr entrance.

Easier and faster to build the new entrance to met the 2025 time frame and the terminal in 2026 which is dumb

Last edited:
Well you've still got time to catch the existing bays in action, there's only 2 of them that are open and in use right now (Bays 3 and 4).

I *think* the plan is to demo the south end of terminal 6, which may also include its roof section as well. From there once everything is safe, move all the buses to the outdoor platforms on the south platform then establish some kind of temporary link to the west station entrance. It's at that point where we'd see the real action with the demolition of the existing bus bays, as well as the bus concourse.
The plan has been to move TTC off the roof slab for the concourse ASP for the last 10 years and use the south platforms. By removing one or 2 current south bays allows TTC to put up a temporary shelter for the platform with the possibility of using the last cover platform.

The old stair to the south platform still can be use as well bay 6 from the concourse.

If TTC was smart which is not the case these days, they could put the bus bays underground next to the concourse which would free up more land for better use.

There are high voltage powerlines above that part of property, really unable to go too high.

There is a set distance buildings have to be set back from the towers and that doesn't stop things from being tall. There is a thread in the build form for this site that shows the various height of towers and location.

The plan has been to move TTC off the roof slab for the concourse ASP for the last 10 years and use the south platforms. By removing one or 2 current south bays allows TTC to put up a temporary shelter for the platform with the possibility of using the last cover platform.

The old stair to the south platform still can be use as well bay 6 from the concourse.

If TTC was smart which is not the case these days, they could put the bus bays underground next to the concourse which would free up more land for better use.
Im aware of the TTC wanting to move the buses of the roof slab since it's deteriorating rapidly. The question is whether or not they will temporarily use the roof of bus bay 6 along with the south platform as a temporary shelter, or just install temporary shelters and get rid of everything at once while using the south platform at the temporary shelter. The way they are going about the demolition, leads me to believe it's the former and not the latter for now.

But in either case, it's neither here nor there as the whole bus terminal will be gone soon enough. As for using the old stair case of the south platform, I highly doubt they would do that. I would imagine they want to close up the entire bus concourse during the bus terminal demolition.

As for putting the bus bays underground, that idea would've worked for a commercial development. But since we're seeing residential it doesn't really work well. That's not to say they shouldn't have explored incorporating the bus terminal within a development; they should have and both they and the city failed at that concept once again.

Im aware of the TTC wanting to move the buses of the roof slab since it's deteriorating rapidly. The question is whether or not they will temporarily use the roof of bus bay 6 along with the south platform as a temporary shelter, or just install temporary shelters and get rid of everything at once while using the south platform at the temporary shelter. The way they are going about the demolition, leads me to believe it's the former and not the latter for now.

But in either case, it's neither here nor there as the whole bus terminal will be gone soon enough. As for using the old stair case of the south platform, I highly doubt they would do that. I would imagine they want to close up the entire bus concourse during the bus terminal demolition.

As for putting the bus bays underground, that idea would've worked for a commercial development. But since we're seeing residential it doesn't really work well. That's not to say they shouldn't have explored incorporating the bus terminal within a development; they should have and both they and the city failed at that concept once again.
If you read the various comments from TTC and the city, the existing terminal remain until a new terminal is built in 2026 which too late. Until TTC moves the current routes to a new terminal, the concourse area under the terminal will remain open to allowing access to the platform by the south end stair.

There is no other way to get to the surface in TTC zone other than the stairs to all the platforms from the concourse tunnel. Closing all bus bays over the concourse will see the south stairs as the only access to the surface.

Regardless the development is residential, having bus bays underground can work like commercial with some changes.

Back