News   Apr 16, 2024
 517     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 423     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 783     0 

Is the west side of Toronto more prominent than the east side?

My East End is Durham; West End is Halton-Hamilton. You have to think globally and act locally...or whatever. (North of the 401 isn't a real place)

As per the OP, I find that the areas of Toronto that gentrified the earliest became the go-to places. So, the question would be, why did they gentrify earlier?

My East End is Durham; West End is Halton-Hamilton. You have to think globally and act locally...or whatever. (North of the 401 isn't a real place)

As per the OP, I find that the areas of Toronto that gentrified the earliest became the go-to places. So, the question would be, why did they gentrify earlier?

I also don't think it is a coincidence that the nicer neighborhoods in East York are original streetcar suburbs.

Wow. That's at least a 15 min drive with no traffic. Amalgamation has definitely changed the city.

No York and Barrie for you?

Barrie, yes, for it exists on a lake and north of the dead zone. The dead zone being suburbia far from The Lake.
I don't go up there for any reason, have no friends in the northern suburbs, find it soul-crushing, and hate the odd contract we get up there. Call me melodramatic, but I swear, York Region suburbia is where people go to have their life's essence sucked out of them. *shudder*

My East End is Durham; West End is Halton-Hamilton.
People in Hamilton say they live in west end Toronto? People in Newcastle say they live in east end Toronto?

I live in east end Toronto. I'm far enough from Scarborough that I wouldn't walk that far west, unless I really wanted some exercise.

People in Hamilton say they live in west end Toronto? People in Newcastle say they live in east end Toronto?

I live in east end Toronto. I'm far enough from Scarborough that I wouldn't walk that far west, unless I really wanted some exercise.

My group of friends is very geographically dispersed about the Golden Horseshoe and so we always refer to 'west' and 'east' in terms relating to the greater urban area that we have here and not to specific cities or towns unless we are specifically speaking about said city or town in the context of relating a location within said city or town.

For example: (Speaking to a friend in Oakville about a party in Oshawa) "You going to Ryan's in the east end?"
As opposed to: (Speaking to a friend about a restaurant in Pickering while visiting them in Major Oaks, Pickering) "Let's hit up that breakfast place in the west end."

While not being ignorant of the sometimes monumental differences between various municipalities in the GH, we tend to view the whole urban mess as one. I mean, really, it IS one gigantic city. Why put up walls? (Except those northerners....don't know any, they must be dangerous ;) )

Last edited:
I think TigerMaster made a very compelling argument for the presence as a Don as highly influential in the historical development of the city.

I'm curious, for those of you that remember it, was this lop-sided situation also true in decades past? I'm thinking in the 70's, 80's and 90's, were the neighbourhoods west of Yonge always more cool/hip/happening than those east of Yonge? When the center of gravity began to shift away from Yonge Street, where did it go, initially?

Has Queen West not been "the place" for at least 30 years now? (I'm 29, so I actually don't know. I know it was when I was 15)

Back