News   Aug 29, 2024
 42     0 
News   Aug 29, 2024
 290     0 
News   Aug 29, 2024
 310     0 

Is the new norm for houses to have bidding wars?

Skibadee

Member Bio
Reaction score
Im looking to buy my first home in the Scarborough area, specifically near the North York/Scarb boarder. Im noticing that many homes are being priced lower in the area to set up bidding wars, also most homes that are priced right are going for over asking in general

Is this the new norm? does this type of thing happen over the fall and winter months?

Im looking to buy my first home in the Scarborough area, specifically near the North York/Scarb boarder. Im noticing that many homes are being priced lower in the area to set up bidding wars, also most homes that are priced right are going for over asking in general

Is this the new norm? does this type of thing happen over the fall and winter months?
According to what I've read, it's not the new norm yet in that they're not as common as they were two years ago, but nonetheless bidding wars have been much more common recently than they were three months ago. Given your above post, I suspect that the real estate agents are trying to push bidding wars again.

It also depends on your price range. Lower priced homes are more susceptible to price wars, but higher end luxury homes often sit longer on the market and don't as often have bidding wars.

And from the agents' and sellers' perspectives, they can definitely be effective when the market it tilted towards sellers. The slight underpricing generates a lot of foot traffic to see the place. Back near the peak of the market, we priced my 2-bedroom townhouse condo at what I thought was maybe 2% below fair market price. It went for 7% over asking because of a bidding war. My girlfriend's 1-bedroom condo was priced at close to fair market price, maybe 1% under. It went for almost 8% over asking because of a bidding war. It's not just the pricing either. It's way the sales are set up (like fixed bid dates) that partially encourages bidding wars.

Despite the recession, as you know there are two factors working against buyers right now in terms of real estate pricing:

1) Low interest rates. Well, that's not a bad thing for buyers obviously, but it does drive up the demand for housing.
2) Low inventory. I guess a lot sellers got cold feet because of the downturn so homes have been taken off the market, so we're working with reduced inventory now.

The low inventory will change with time, and interest rates may (or may not) increase slightly by next year. OTOH, some wonder if 5-year fixed rates may fall again slightly in the short term.

Note thought that homes tend to sell more poorly in the late fall and winter months, and prices often fall at that time. However, often times lower priced homes don't really fall that much, esp. in the condo market. It's the higher priced homes that seem to fall more during that period.

Last edited:
Note thought that homes tend to sell more poorly in the late fall and winter months, and prices often fall at that time. However, often times lower priced homes don't really fall that much, esp. in the condo market. It's the higher priced homes that seem to fall more during that period.

What do you consider high priced? The really big stuff only tends to move when executive bonus season (late December, early January) rolls around. There aren't very many times in the year when $750k+ is available for a down-payment as a lump sum without a lot of work to align smaller investments to a single date.

Thanks for the reply

I guess in my case im looking at 3 bedroom bungalos in the 285-315k

Im shocked to see that the last 3 or 4 I have looked at have all had 7+ offers
and all went well over asking. I know its the summer and its not the best time for buyers and all Its kinda a kick in the pants, I want to be in this area VP to Kennedy and 401 down to Eglinton but its becoming dishearting.

My agent says normally the markets cool down in the fall/winter months
however with the way the market has been doing ok I wonder if its really going to cool down at all. Plus it seems like everyone says wait till the fall wouldnt this mean that in the fall theres going to be more competition?

According to the agents I've dealt with the $300000 condo market hasn't (usually) dropped very much during winter in recent years, except after that market implosion. From what I've seen, they're probably right. Detached homes in nice areas closer to the $1 million mark may drop a bit in the winter though. I wasn't really talking about say a $2+ million dollar home that might need a $750000 downpayment.

As for $300000 bungalows I'm not sure but my guess is they'd more closely track $300000 condos in terms of winter resale value retention.

P.S. For wartime Scarborough bungalows, if you really, really like a house it may pay to submit a good bid to get it. However it's more likely those houses are similar to many others. Keep that in mind when you're tempted to get into a bidding war. Also for a wartime bungalow, don't be pressured by an agent to submit a bid without conditions. That's a great way getting yourself into trouble.

P.P.S. Speaking of bidding wars...

This house seems nice, but 20% over asking? Ouch:

Little Italy: $601,500
Montrose Ave., just south of College St.

Asking price: $499,900
Selling price: $601,500
Previous selling price: $340,000 (2003)
Size: about 1,700 square feet
Lot: 15 by 102-foot, single-car detached garage, lane drive
Taxes: $2,948 (2008)

This one seems a bit more reasonable:

Bayview Village: $635,000
Leslie St. and Sheppard Ave. E.

Asking price: $628,000
Selling price: $635,000
Previous selling price: N/A
Size: about 2,800 square feet
Lot: 46 by 100-foot, two-car attached garage, private drive
Taxes: $5,354.53 (2008)

Last edited:
Eug said:
This house seems nice, but 20% over asking? Ouch

Yikes!

I wonder how much of this bidding war was due to the record low interest rates offered around May.

the property was re-listed substantially below market value to generate buzz.
it was originally listed in September 2008 for $599K.

if you compare to other properties in the area, you will notice that it sold for what others have listed for around $599K - 649K.

Last edited:
Heh. Good to know.

It's interesting to see it couldn't sell at $599000 but then was listed at $499000 only to sell at over $600000.

Underpricing does work.

Back