News   Aug 01, 2024
 432     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 550     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 484     0 

Is it realistic for a single 19 year old to live in Toronto?

Colvis

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sorry if this is not in the right section, I'm still getting used to the forums.

First off, I must say this before it comes to anyone elses mind: I am not one of those stupid teenagers who hate their parents and think they can live off of minimum wage and eat fast food every day!

I made a descision not to go to college as I will pursue a career was a blue collar worker, or work with the city. I currently live in Brampton, and recognize that Toronto is where all the oppurtunities lie.

I also must say that I do not want to live an "exciting" lifestyle. I'm the kind of guy who goes to work, comes home and chills out. I don't usually spend my money on things like movies, fast food, Ipods etc. I buy what I need. This means that I only buy clothes that I will wear, food that I will eat, games that I will play etc. Nothing extra.

I am looking at a couple of jobs as a garbage loader, making 12-13 bucks an hour. Yearly, this will equate to about 23,000 to 25,000 dollars before taxes obviously if my math is correct. I have been looking at bachelor apartments that range around 600-800 a month, including utilities/cable and internet (hard to believe I know). Lets say I get a room for 700 a month. That will subtract 8400 from my income so I will be left with around $15,600. Then I have to get a metro pass, subtracting $121 every month so I will be left with around $14,100. Then I must pay for food, costing maybe $300 a month, times 12 is 3600 leaving me with about $10,500. Other things I must pay for are: toothpaste, soap, shampoo, a table, a bed, broom, cell phone, and other small things(cant think of anything else) which will cost me (estimating as I don't know teh exact prices) lets say $2000-3500. Based on this, I should be left with around 6000-7000. This is before taxes of course.

These calculations in my opinion look TOO good to be true, which is why I'm looking for some advice from experienced people. Honestly, I would just need a tv/internet, metro pass, a single room, food, and a phone to live off of. (I live like this now with my parents). Remember, I'm not a guy who likes to spend a lot. I usually shop at the dollar store, buy stuff used and on sale and buy WHAT I NEED not want. I literally eat, sleep, work, and watch TV all year lol.. I go out w/ friends sometimes. I also have money saved up (about 4000) Based on these calculations (after taxes) would I be able to live, and find a decent place to rent?

Last edited:
If you're willing to share a place with someone, there are tons of great rooms and spaces available in the $450-500 mark all over the downtown core. That would max out your accommodation expenses at $6000 and give you an extra $2400. Your math isn't bad at all and is absolutely doable. It's totally possible to have a great life - going out with friends, seeing movies, going to the theatre, opera, dance, live music, galleries, watching tv, playing vids and eating decently for about $14500 a year in downtown Toronto - as a single guy. With your extra income you can save some more or go on a few cuban vacations a year too!

Sorry if this is not in the right section, I'm still getting used to the forums.

First off, I must say this before it comes to anyone elses mind: I am not one of those stupid teenagers who hate their parents and think they can live off of minimum wage and eat fast food every day!

I made a descision not to go to college as I will pursue a career was a blue collar worker, or work with the city. I currently live in Brampton, and recognize that Toronto is where all the oppurtunities lie.

I also must say that I do not want to live an "exciting" lifestyle. I'm the kind of guy who goes to work, comes home and chills out. I don't usually spend my money on things like movies, fast food, Ipods etc. I buy what I need. This means that I only buy clothes that I will wear, food that I will eat, games that I will play etc. Nothing extra.

I am looking at a couple of jobs as a garbage loader, making 12-13 bucks an hour. Yearly, this will equate to about 23,000 to 25,000 dollars before taxes obviously if my math is correct. I have been looking at bachelor apartments that range around 600-800 a month, including utilities/cable and internet (hard to believe I know). Lets say I get a room for 700 a month. That will subtract 8400 from my income so I will be left with around $15,600. Then I have to get a metro pass, subtracting $121 every month so I will be left with around $14,100. Then I must pay for food, costing maybe $300 a month, times 12 is 3600 leaving me with about $10,500. Other things I must pay for are: toothpaste, soap, shampoo, a table, a bed, broom, cell phone, and other small things(cant think of anything else) which will cost me (estimating as I don't know teh exact prices) lets say $2000-3500. Based on this, I should be left with around 6000-7000. This is before taxes of course.

These calculations in my opinion look TOO good to be true, which is why I'm looking for some advice from experienced people. Honestly, I would just need a tv/internet, metro pass, a single room, food, and a phone to live off of. (I live like this now with my parents). Remember, I'm not a guy who likes to spend a lot. I usually shop at the dollar store, buy stuff used and on sale and buy WHAT I NEED not want. I literally eat, sleep, work, and watch TV all year lol.. I go out w/ friends sometimes. I also have money saved up (about 4000) Based on these calculations (after taxes) would I be able to live, and find a decent place to rent?

Get a roommate.

My advice FWIW is stay in school, go to University if possible but Community College if not and learn a skill. It will benefit you immensely for the rest of your life. I don't mean to preach and I respect you are technically an adult but you sound like an intelligent and sincere young man and I would hate to see you missed out on some great career opportunities.

My opinion stay - stay with the folks for a couple of more years and go to school. This will benefit you for the rest of your life. If you ever want a family you'll have a hard time raising one in Toronto on that income. Another alternative would be to come here for school and live in residence or a small (maybe basement) apartment or get a roommate. With student loans and a part time job you would be fine. Sorry to sound preachy but I really do think health and education are the most important things and since you are young and hopefully healthy I suggest education should be your number 1 priority.

I appreciate your research and spending the time to get our opinions here on this forum.

Being young and living in the big city I think is a great experience, there are tons of people in that situation too but most of them are going to school. I think education is extremely important in opening doors and opportunities which you may never expected or dreamed of, so even taking some night or internet courses at a community college would do wonders.

Sounds like you live a simple life and not into material possessions, but there will always be unexpected expenses that will creep up on you and you should put away some money in savings just in case. This may include (God forbid) injury or illness (especially when your work involves physical labour), occasional entertainment (concerts, going out, having friends over), getting involved in a relationship (this takes up a lot of time AND money), expenses during the holidays, travel, etc.
You should calculate your expenses with taxes, as it does eat up a bit of your earnings and spending.

Having roommates will greatly cut down on your living expenses and will provide some company and making new friends, but it's not for everyone and it is often hard to find the perfect roommate that suits your personality and lifestyle. You should take your time finding an ideal roommate, as roommates could make your life a living hell.
Good luck!

If you're willing to share a place with someone, there are tons of great rooms and spaces available in the $450-500 mark all over the downtown core.

+1! It's a great way for a 19 year old to live the urban lifestyle. Spend your money on fun stuff instead of rent!

I appreciate the replies I have gotten, especially about the education factor. However going to college or university will be pointless/very hard for me. I graduated high school with the intensions of working manual labour such as working for the city, garbage man, construction etc or even a job such as a truck/bus driver, or a mailman. All jobs making up to $60,000 annually after you're in for a few years.

In high school I was in a very difficult situation. I prefered writting and "working with paper" rather than my hands and took a bunch of University courses and not courses geared towards college. I eventually found it too hard, got average grades and that made me realize that I would no survive Uni based on that and what my close friends and family say. I decided to take a year off after high school to think about my future and decided that none would be good for me. I don't want to go to University, possibly fail and land a boring office job for 20 years, and I don't want to go to college as 1) My grades arnt good enough and 2) I don't find it necesarry with all the jobs for the "uneducated" pay significantly more than a person with a diploma or a degree would take 5 years to get. And i'm sure as hell not going back for a 5th year of high school, or taking some liberal arts program. A number of my cousins who are closing in on their 30's either live at home or rent a place still trying to pay off thousands of dollars of University debt and stil cannot get a good paying job in their field.

Some people sacrifice their education or are too lazy to get it in order to get good, quick money in a job that no one wants to do. I am not sacrificing my education, nor was I lazy in high school (I studied my ass off every night) I just landed in this situation due to the unfortunate circumstances. I'm the kind of person who will work almost any job as long as it pays well, i'm not picky. Yes, I will stand at the back of a garbage truck, loading trash into the back. Yes I will drive a 40 foot long bus for 8 hours a day. The yare not jobs that the average person would aim for, but I am not a conformist. I just want to be idenpendant and move out, which will hopefully mature me and give me life experience in a good way and get me started in the working world. Roomate is something I considered, however I enjoy my privacy and would not want someone blasting their rap music or bringing annoying ass friends into my space, even if it is my friend.

If you get a long with your parents, and if they don't mind, live with them for at least a few more years and save up. It will give you a great head start in life, money wise at least. If you move out, have at least 10k in the bank for emergency, just in case you get laid off, injury etc. It'll be a lot less stressful.
If you plan to do work in construction, take an apprenticeship and learn a skilled trade. Carpenter, electrician, mason, plumber etc. Pays REALLY well, it is not uncommon to be making 80K+. There is little in class training, 80% is on the job training, and usually takes about 3-4 years to get your papers. Be prepared to bust your ass 5-6 days a week though, it is not for everyone.

very thoughtful responses Colvis.

although i agree with most people here that an education is important, it's not the end all and be all, especially if you can get a good paying gov't job or trade in construction.

while it is true as you say most gov't jobs will pay around $60K after few years, i think it will be around 8 years; however, that is no different than someone with a post-secondary education would be too, except loaded with student debt.

having a post-sec education doesn't guarantee the comfortable lifestyle it did 30-40 years ago

cdr108,

That is true, as I mentioned a lot of my family members are still paying off student loans in excess of 20k after graduating 4-5 years ago. My uncle who is 38 immigrated here 14 years ago, got his degree and is still getting money from my dad to pay off loans. It seems that you need a Masters degree these days to land one of these jobs. But as I said, it looks like I will have to sacrifice education for an unwanted job, which I wouldn't have a problem with.

to klb86,

Yes I will probably live with my parents for a little while longer. Living in Brampton/905 is getting annoying though as 1.) The transit is completely unreliable and comes in 30 minute intervals 2.) everything is so spread out and far 3.) theres wider variety in Toronto. 4.) Yes I don't go out much, in fact rarely but when I do theres always a place to go in Toronto.

Colvis,

You sound like me when I was 19 except you seem much more mature. I wish I could go back and tell myself all the things I know now. I too finished highschool and started working in manual labour for "1 year", then for 2, 3, 4, 5 years , until I realized that I was trapped in a mundayne life. What I never thought of was my future becuase I was living in the now. That is a mistake a lot of young people make. At 24 i realised I need an education which I received in Social Work. Worked in the industry for a few years and hated it. I loved helping people but realised again, I was not thinking of me and my future. I was always thinking of other people, and to obtain things for the now.

The one thing i don't hear from you is what your passion is. You could be making 60,000 a year as a mailman but will you be happy, and when you get to a certain age you start looking back at what you could have done. I always used to say this to my clients, 'the one thing I can't teach you is experience.' Don't lose sight on your passions and desires becuase once that is lost life sometimes isn't that enjoyable.

Like everyone else I dont want to sound preachy but getting into these well paying manual labour jobs is difficult. Don't think that you are going to find a job that pays 60,000 to start, it takes time, relief word and years of applying. That being said, work for a year or two, and see what its like but I can assure you, you might start thinking differently. When i was in highschool I just wanted to work, and now all I want to do is go back to an age where I could do all the things that people told me I couldn't do. Remember the only person you should listen to is yourself. Don't listen to what people tell you because that is there experience and yours will be yours.

People will tell what you shouldn't do, but are they telling you these because they are not happy, they didn't pursue their passions. I am 32 and I wish I was 19 again becuase I would do things diffeently. Since I am not I have decided to pursue a career in real estate. The first time in my life that I am thinking of myself. There are a lot of people who still tell me that its not a good idea, not to mention the hatred for realtors on this site, but I finally don't care. I have been thinking about it for years and I am going to do it whether or not people believe that I can.

It sounds as if you are someone who learns through expereince as I am, and I hope you learn more about yourself and pursue your dreams. Wouldn't be nice to wake up and not worry about money, or buy something expensive that you worked hard for. I know I do. I wish you all the best with your future endeavours, but think about where you want to be, because in most cases an education gives you not only self fullfiment but the money to experience life the way you choose.

Last edited:
Colvis, the best advice I can give you is that you learn from doing. I think it is fantastic that you decided not to go to university at a time when it makes no sense to you. However, it is vitally important that you understand that life long learning and education are imperative to your future success and personal growth. Tackle every experience you have with enthusiasm and remember that every experience is a learning experience. Not going to university is not an excuse to not be learning. Most people at your age find it hard to conceptualize education as something outside the classroom. Education is learning how to interact and understand how to deal with people, education is developing a sense of yourself and your own personal style, education is an intimate relationship, education is learning how to cook and clean and look after yourself, education is learning how to take responsibility and forgive others, education is learning new skills etc...

Experience has taught me that the world infront of our eyes and especially at your age Colvis is largely a mirage. The surface world you think you live in does not exist. By age 25 most people still cannot manage a bank account, do the dishes or recycle. If you can get that stuff handled in a few years your going to do great, your way ahead of a guy in medical school, just don't forget to keep learning.

drewp,

To be honest, I really do not have a passion. I have thought about this on numerous occassions, and I cannot think of something that I LOVE doing, but would also help me to secure a job. I have always wanted to become a police officer, which may be why I want to become independent and mature. As I learnt from family members who work with the OPP, York and Metro police, you need to have life experience, maturity and a stable life to pursure this occupation. This may be why I want to do what I mentioned in the OP. Working, living on my own and living a "mature" lifestyle at age 23, 24 can really look good on my resume along with all the volunteer work I do and such. However, I do realize that not everyone becomes a police officer in their lifetime, so incase I do not get hired I could continue living my life doing my regular job. In other words, in order to work in law enforcement you need to be mature and have significant life experience, something I can achieve through moving out and working. If I do not decide to pursure this career or for whatever reason get denied, I always have a job in another field waiting for me, or still working in. I have friends who think that police foundations diploma or quick volunteer work can guarantee them a job as a cop at age 20. They are in for a big shock when they end up working as security guards. At least I will have options in another field.

I realise that you have to start off from the bottom; i'm not one of those naive kids who think that they can get a degree and start off at 80,000 per year. I realise that a lot of kids make this mistake, however I don't think they quite know how to manage their life/money properly. My dad has taught me A LOT, many things adults do not know. He has taught me how to live without electricity other than turning on your TV, he has taught me how to save hundreds of dollars each month by spending smart, he has taught me how to invest, he has taught me how to deal with people and manage money. Could an education make my future better? possibly. Could working in manual labour such as construction or garbage man or truck/bus driving make me happy now? Yes, and from that I could build on my success that I have achieved currently and move on from there.

As I said, I am not picky; I am willing to work most jobs people hate doing (garbage man) once it pays well/decent and i'm not working crazy hours. Many people including my family members/extended family are really confused by my options. Their idea of a sucessful kid is something who gets a degree and works a white collar job for his entire life. However, I will always go on the advice that my favourite soccer coach gave to me; "Once you do something that you enjoy, is not boring and makes you happy you are sucessful". Working in one of the jobs I mentioned sounds much more appealing than office work.

Tricky Ricky,

I don't quite get what you are saying here; post-sec or learn through experience?

LOL; Sorry if I am acting "sutbborn", I just want people to know more about me, what I like and my plans.

i think Tricky Ricky is saying, just b/c you don't pursue a post secondary education, don't stop learning.

there are many things and ways you can learn - read, listen to other peoples opinions, experiences, etc

Back