News   Mar 28, 2024
 612     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     0 

is CityPlace really that bad?

neuhaus

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am looking to rent a crashpad downtown for a year or two until my condo is built, so it doesn't need to be big or fancy.
I just need a decent clean 1 or 1+ bedroom (600 s.f. minimum) with a balcony, decent amenities (at least a gym) and possibly parking (nice but not essential). I am in no rush and thinking of renting sometime starting in the summer, possibly earlier.

I was surprised (well not that surprised actually) to see how many units are available for rent in the CityPlace development. I have seen many brand new units available there for less than $1,400/mo which includes parking, utilities (except hydro), and a nice view which seems like a very good deal. The location is ideal for me as it is close to work.
It's funny that I've also seen a few rental postings on Craig's List that prides itself by NOT being at CityPlace (is it really that undesirable?), and I have heard from a couple friends that CityPlace is kind of like a dorm, full of loud obnoxious college kids.

I am wondering if any of this is really true and is CityPlace really that bad?
Granted I am just renting temporarily and not buying there, so little details don't really matter to me since the place is not mine. I am relatively young (35) and like to have fun once in a while, but I enjoy my peace and quiet time when I get home from a long day at the office.

Anyone here living in CityPlace care to share their opinions/experiences?
Which buildings at CityPlace are better or not so good? Panorama looks pretty decent, and there's even one building that's already going through a major remodelling.
I appreciate your input.

Last edited:
Cityplace is great if you're young. If you're older and like peace and quiet and tend to stay home a lot, you probably wouldn't like it.

I have a few friends who live there. Most of the feedback has been positive (they're 30 though). I don't think I've seen anyone above the age of 35 there....and I've been in those buildings at least 100 times.

Cityplace has had quality issues, but that seems par for the course with a lot of newer buildings in the downown core. The difference is there are a crapload of new buildings there so take a handful of issues and multiply them by 5 or so buildings.

The problem is the damage is already done. Perception is reality, and unfortunately for Cityplace, it's a giant poo-hole. Do I agree with that? No. But when you have realtors rolling their eyes when you mention "Cityplace" that's not a good thing.

I live in Cityplace. Love it.

Most courteous neighbours I've ever had anywhere, things are kept clean, facilities are handy.

Literally the only thing that'd keep me from moving to my current apt for the rest of my life is the noise from the QEW. But hey, it makes rent cheaper so I can't complain too much.

Cityplace fucked up by having 'chunks of buildings' being administered together... if each building was responsible for itself and only for itself their reputation would be more or less intact.

I don't know about the 30's only residents. At one of the building BBQ party I went to, there was a couple of retired Torontonians who lived in the building. So they are fairly elderly. I've seen other people over 30's in my building too. I don't know if they are renters or owners though.

Regarding the building administration. Each building has their own management if that's what you mean. The board of director can choose to change management after the first year. Who you pick for the board of director or who runs for it is another matter. The management and the BOD will affect how the building is managed. The people or neighbours who live there will affect your experiences at your location no matter where you live.

If you're just renting, just pick a place you feel comfortable living in. If you don't like it, you can always move to another building after the first year. You can even get a change of scenery or view. Since you aren't buying, you're not forced to stay at one location for so long. I think on average, unless you have really annoying neighbours, the place is not bad. Just don't expect it to be a luxury hotel. If you want a fancy unit (washroom and kitchen are impressive) that looks better than average, parade's standard unit is good. The downgraded ones don't look as good. I think Parade has the best looking units so far out of the all the built buildings I've seen. It's not perfect but it looks pretty good.

In regards to the building being renovated. I can't say I am not too happy with the money wasted. Even though it's going under major remodeling, it was perfectly fine before except for the carpet being dirty. All they needed to do was change to a darker carpet, but because of the carpet colour matching maybe, they seemed to renovate the whole building in dark colour. I personally prefer lighter colours, especially white walls.

Last edited:
Cityplace is boring, with no real retail in much of it. In some ways the complex is an urban concrete and glass wasteland, with no character.

That said, as part of it's boringness, it's clean and safe. If you're renting, it's fine.

Cityplace is boring, with no real retail in much of it.

I suppose if your excitement is derived solely from retail stores in the base of condo buildings, then yes it is 'boring'.

It really isn't that bad.

Moved into Luna back in December and haven't had a single major issue. There were some noise issues the first month, but calls to management were answered and we have not had these issues since.

As for the location, I love it! Close to Queen/King west, Chinatown, and of course, the waterfront. Im really looking forward to spending the summer by the water.

Cityplace is great if you're young. If you're older and like peace and quiet and tend to stay home a lot, you probably wouldn't like it.

I have a few friends who live there. Most of the feedback has been positive (they're 30 though). I don't think I've seen anyone above the age of 35 there....and I've been in those buildings at least 100 times.

Cityplace has had quality issues, but that seems par for the course with a lot of newer buildings in the downown core. The difference is there are a crapload of new buildings there so take a handful of issues and multiply them by 5 or so buildings.

The problem is the damage is already done. Perception is reality, and unfortunately for Cityplace, it's a giant poo-hole. Do I agree with that? No. But when you have realtors rolling their eyes when you mention "Cityplace" that's not a good thing.

You have me in stitches.

I think it also depends what building you live in. I've lived at 15 Fort York and the building is a big mess. From my experience it was very noisy on Friday and Saturday nights and most people I've encountered were rude. I live in Panorama now and the building is amazing. The finishes are all upgraded and the people that live here seem to be older and more mature and respectful. Try getting a unit on the 8th floor. It's got 11' foot ceilings and most of them have terraces!

From folks I know ... I've heard nothing but positives - heck they weren't even aware of the negative connotation that seems to exist.

I think you're right though and it very much depends on the building ... taking it fuhrer ... your floor and the specific experience. They mentioned it can get loud on the weekends ... but honestly that can be said about many areas that have a high concentrations of renters - which exists in many inner city neighborhoods.

City Place feels weird, cold, sterile. There's nothing to see, do, no place to shop.
However, it's a convenient location, and some of the apartments have great layouts and views ... but ... I hear lots of the buildings are having major issues which are going to result in either special assessments for the owners, or drastically higher maintenance fees, or both ... and some real estate lawyers are now beginning to mention this upon review of City Place status certificates.
Overall, it's a good place to rent an apartment from one of the many overseas investors, but it's a nightmare place to live if you want to buy an apartment there.

City Place feels weird, cold, sterile. There's nothing to see, do, no place to shop.
However, it's a convenient location, and some of the apartments have great layouts and views ... but ... I hear lots of the buildings are having major issues which are going to result in either special assessments for the owners, or drastically higher maintenance fees, or both ... and some real estate lawyers are now beginning to mention this upon review of City Place status certificates.
Overall, it's a good place to rent an apartment from one of the many overseas investors, but it's a nightmare place to live if you want to buy an apartment there.

A nightmare according to who? I own here and it has been anything but a nightmare. Cityplace is more than one building, so the problems that affect one don't affect them all.

If you are renting, I think it really doesn't matter that much as long as it is quiet and clean, and affordable.
If buying, I myself will stay away from anything south of Gardiner Expressway. Those condo buildings there are somewhat isolated. There is no neighbourhoods to speak of, nor is there much life or street level activity. You see cars passing by and that's it. It does have the convenience of being close to the waterfront, if it is that more important to you than close to other things.
As to cityplace, it is simply an OK and cheap place to live for young people who can't afford anything nicer. The fact that it is $1300 with parking shows that there is a lot of supply, as you can obviously see from the number of the buildings and the ones to come. Most of the condos are for investment purposes and the owners never thought for a second of living there, which pretty much says a lot of that area.

CityPlace will never turn out to be something desirable in Toronto. It will never even be up-and-coming either. It will remain a cheap renting condo blocks. There is little opportunity of price increase either judged by the quality and the scale of the entire project. In 10 0r 20 years, I would not be surprised if it turns to be another St Jamestown or Regent Park. Be somewhat close to King West adds little value to it, just like St Jamestown's proximity to Yorkville never makes the former upscale.

Be selective about which unit/building to rent as it is a huge project and one differs a lot from another. There are good units which are well worth its price.

Last edited:

Back