News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 544     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Ireland Park

I agree... looks awesome. hTO further connects the Central waterfront together by bridging the Music Garden with Harbourfront while Ireland Park extends it West.

Finally something visible improvements on the waterfront. :D

Ireland Park and Island Airport

Riding my bike from the 29 bus thorough the quiet CNE grounds, being prepared for the upcoming auto race sponsored by some strange beer company.

IP1.jpg

Island airport and ferry, including the second-floor waiting areas. Seems a bit much (even "arrivals" and "departures" doors on the mainland side). Your tax dollars at work!

IP2.jpg

IP3.jpg

IP4.jpg

IP6.jpg

Ireland Park, opened last Thursday, is very interesting and its location almost fits its surroundings, particuarly with the Canada Malting Silos there. I write about it here too, but at UT, I can post more and bigger pics.

The park was dedicated to mark the 160th anniversary of the arrival of immigrants fleeing the Irish Famine. It is not easy to find - there's no signage except on the Kilkenny Limestone.

IP5.jpg

IP26.jpg

Five bronze statues stand (and in one case, lie) on a lawn nearby, signifying the mixed emotions and experience of the new immigrants, in a collective called “The Arrivalâ€. In a similar park in Dublin, there are seven statues collectively called “Departure†– illustrating the loss of many ailing émigrés on the long voyage to Canada.

IP9.jpg

IP12.jpg

IP13.jpg

The silos make for a surprisingly fitting backdrop, which seems to be built into the park, the glass brick tower seemingly making reference to the silos behind it.

IP21.jpg

IP14.jpg

IP22.jpg

Nearby, “emigrant sheds†were established to receive the 38,560 Irish that arrived in Toronto in 1847. Of those, over 1,100 died, while 675 names are known and displayed between the limestone slabs.

IP18.jpg

IP24.jpg

IP19.jpg

IP20.jpg

IP11.jpg

The views of the skyline are quite nice from the park.

HtO Park:

IP8.jpg

IP7.jpg

IP10.jpg

That is the wackiest park I have ever seen. Quite the strange assortment of elements. What is on the new poles in a row next to silos? In the one picture it looks like a red light and an alarm bell.

those silos are in bad shape.

i have to agree that it is an amazing park.

p.s, is that the land that they wanted to build the island bridge infront of?

IP12.jpg

Whoa...just imagine walking there alone at night.......eeek

It represents a beacon of hope and it echoes the shape and proportion of the silos. Diamond designed one for the Corus office building but it appears to have been dropped; Foster designed beacons at the end of piers extending out into the lake for his waterfront design entry last year; the central waterfront promenade design of a few years ago included light beacons at intervals all along the boardwalk that were never built. I expect they'll crop up from time to time in other waterfront designs.

I worked at Canada Malting for three summers during my school years. Police used to come down to this spot to sleep while on duty. Nice place to hide except one full time employee had a problem with the police. Seems he'd been caught a bunch of times for drinking and driving. Decided it was payback time. Called the police on the sleeping police. One morning two supervisor police cars showed up and surprised the sleeping police. That was the last time we saw the police cars parked there.

Call me crazy (and some do), but I rode my bike here the other night and I couldn't find the park. One the east side there was a locked gate just south of that harbourfront school and on the west side I couldn't find any logical place as to where the entrance to the park is.

Back