News   Apr 24, 2024
 237     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 620     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

So how long does it take for a car once received to be ready on the GRT side? It sounds like a substantial bit of work, so trying to guess when ION would be ready for revenue service

If all have the equipment installed and burn in successful and any deficiencies along the line are addressed, early spring? End of April is the spring/summer schedule change, so that's a logical start date, but who knows.

Last Thursday Nov 15th, ION did its first winter night testing. I caught 509 out around 10:00 p.m. and as I headed home I heard on the radio that it was joined by 507 and 505. Reports are that the trio stayed out until 3:30 a.m. (this is why the anticipated last ever GEXR train up the Waterloo spur never happened). Here's a few shots...

Northbound, turning from Francis onto King:

These photos rock! Thanks for taking the time to post.

I honestly don't expect it anytime soon with Ford at the helm.

And rightfully so. There is zero business case for a LRT in Cambridge. Bus (with some signal priority) is all that is needed for the foreseeable future. It was just promised (and being acted on) so the 3 mayors could be united in their initial application for funding.

And rightfully so. There is zero business case for a LRT in Cambridge. Bus (with some signal priority) is all that is needed for the foreseeable future. It was just promised (and being acted on) so the 3 mayors could be united in their initial application for funding.

So, we are at least 10 years away from it getting announced?

The LRT through Kitchener and Waterloo has relatively low ridership projections, the Cambridge wing is just pure politics with abysmal ridership.

Wynne technically funded it, but it is still in early design processes. I would be surprised if Ford didn't cancel it as it's a pretty large waste of money.

The LRT through Kitchener and Waterloo has relatively low ridership projections, the Cambridge wing is just pure politics with abysmal ridership.

Wynne technically funded it, but it is still in early design processes. I would be surprised if Ford didn't cancel it as it's a pretty large waste of money.

Do you mean shut down the constructed LRT? AFAIK it is almost ready to be opened.

Back