News   Apr 24, 2024
 962     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 623     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Southern extension to Cambridge route proposal here (pdf), renderings here, and link to PDF on Region's website here.
Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 5.15.32 PM.png

Did anyone else notice this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 5.15.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 5.15.32 PM.png
    331.1 KB · Views: 908
By this, I am sure you are referring to the conceptual GO rail alignment to Campbridge.

Was that ever included in Metrolinx's 25 year plans?

that and the GO line to the airport, and the Phase 3 LRT options that the city has never mentioned prior to this.
Also, it might have been in the 2041 draft, but mind you, Sheppard west, extensions to every LRT line, Waterfront, Jane and Steeles LRTs and many other bus rapid transit lines that haven't even started design work were included in that so I doubt it has much merit.

The GO spur line to the Region of Waterloo International Airport (YKF) is quite interesting. It seems like that would be a great idea especially if this airport becomes a viable reliever option for Pearson in the future. If high speed rail becomes a reality in Southwestern Ontario, Waterloo could be a great regional airport...

According to Wikipedia the Region of Waterloo International Airport is part of the city airport system of Toronto.

Oh, I did not catch that spur line to the airport at all.

Now that is a pretty interesting concept. My question though is how (operations wise) and why? Surely a people mover is more practical?

Now that is a pretty interesting concept. My question though is how (operations wise) and why? Surely a people mover is more practical?
I agreed with having a people mover since it will not add time to riders travel time who have no interest in going to the airport in the first place. Ridership would be on the low scale in the first place.

I do question the various options being proposed. Having the line to go south from the downtown Cambridge terminal to CP Station is a long term plan and only good if there is all day service on CP corridor for small GO trains.

The question I will put on the table is taking the line to Hamilton or by the way of Brantford in phases. Has any thought of doing this starting with buses??

One could ask the same question about about bus service between Milton and Georgetown.

Then there is the option taking the line north to St Jacobs with longer headways.

I almost feel like a spur of the LRT along Fairway RD to the airport would be a better alternative.

If it was a higher-demand airport, I could see the merits of a UPX-style shuttle, as long as they didn't repeat the mistakes of implementing stops inbetween; A Kitchener-Waterloo Airport Express, that goes express from Kitchener to Waterloo Airport.

But since it isn't a higher-used airport, an ION line that stopped along the way would be sufficient, from downtown Kitchener, via Victoria and Fountain, to downtown Cambridge. Much of the land along Fairway Rd is marked for agriculture, but I could see a case made for converting lands north, south and west of the airport, within the Countryside Line, as employment.

upload_2018-4-30_14-20-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-30_14-20-21.png
    upload_2018-4-30_14-20-21.png
    550.9 KB · Views: 515
Is it designated Greenbelt? If so, then it can be swapped through Greenbelt expansion elsewhere.

I'm not opposed to smart, sensible, expansion of the urban boundary. If the airport and surrounding farmland can be made a well connected employment and residential hub, then it is not a terrible idea.

I agree with DonValleyRainbow that an ION line that stopped at the airport would be sufficient for the current usage of the airport.
For example in Scotland an LRT called the Edinburgh Tramway opened in 2014 and consists of a 16 station route that uses both existing and new track similarly to ION. The line stretches from Edinburgh Airport which is a medium size international airport that is slightly larger than Waterloo Region Airport to Edinburgh city centre. It is a distance of around 9 miles.

800px-Tram_crossing_and_signal_%28geograph_3738450%29.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Trams

Attachments

• 20170123_tram_map.jpg
    20170123_tram_map.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Is it designated Greenbelt? If so, then it can be swapped through Greenbelt expansion elsewhere.

If you're referring to the provincial greenbelt, a) no, it doesn't expand much past the southern and eastern edges of Wellington County, and b) I'm not sure the legislation provides for swaps?

It is not designated broadly as part of a regional greenbelt, but there are some core environmental features that would need to be protected.

upload_2018-4-30_16-16-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-30_16-16-23.png
    upload_2018-4-30_16-16-23.png
    853.6 KB · Views: 478
I agree with DonValleyRainbow that an ION line that stopped at the airport would be sufficient for the current usage of the airport.
For example in Scotland an LRT called the Edinburgh Tramway opened in 2014 and consists of a 16 station route that uses both existing and new track similarly to ION. The line stretches from Edinburgh Airport which is a medium size international airport that is slightly larger than Waterloo Region Airport to Edinburgh city centre. It is a distance of around 9 miles.

800px-Tram_crossing_and_signal_%28geograph_3738450%29.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Trams

Are we really comparing KW's airport to Edinburgh? I would bet the passenger numbers at Edinburgh (which may not be a large city but is a major tourist city in Europe) are >10X the numbers you would see at KW.

Back