News   Apr 24, 2024
 109     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 380     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 456     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Sounds insulting to me.

It was, originally, when it was used by non-enthusiasts to describe overly rabid hobbyists. But the enthusiasts seized on the term and started using it to describe themselves.

Now it's somewhere between self deprecating humour and a badge of pride. Geeks are cool these days.

- Paul

It was, originally, when it was used by non-enthusiasts to describe overly rabid hobbyists. But the enthusiasts seized on the term and started using it to describe themselves.

Now it's somewhere between self deprecating humour and a badge of pride. Geeks are cool these days.

I took it as the guy trying to insult us, which is why I found it ironic given his employer. Perhaps I misjudged though, and regardless, I didn't reply. (Kind of regretting that I brought it up here now actually, although that Line 7 video was kinda neat and underscores the 'badge of pride' view.)

^Don't expect people to welcome you if you are passionate about their job, or hanging around pestering them for details.

How many people in retail or fast food have people coming into their workplace to take pictures and video of their cash registers? Or get asked "How are you enjoying the new brand of burger flippers? Don't you wish they made burgers like they did thirty years ago? I read on the Internet that there is a new model of deep fryer that is way better, but Ontario just won't order it". Most people just want to do their job, go home safe, and watch the game. Planners, transit employees and railroaders are the same.

(Although, if you don't come on strong at first and just gradually get to know them, you will be amazed at how many are closet enthusiasts themselves. That's how we get scoop ;-) ).

- Paul

I know there was someone that was wondering in this thread which system would launch first ....Ottawa or KW....well, as of today, Ottawa is November 2018.

https://twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/status/960887717969084416

Haha, you probably mean me!

I'm quite shocked at the extent of that delay, I thought last week or so of June and that they'd move heaven and earth to open it for Canada Day 2018. Apparently not possible. Their eastern stations are making excellent progress, and trains are coming along great, but the downtown tunnel is too far behind.

I'll still say I'm curious which will open first, but with a November date for Ottawa, I expect ION to open first between June and August, prior to September. I was previously 95% sure Ottawa would open first, I'd say I'm now 70% sure ION will open first. We can still see if ION beats the old Ottawa years-old planned opening date of May 24th :)

I'm quite shocked at the extent of that delay, I thought last week or so of June and that they'd move heaven and earth to open it for Canada Day 2018. Apparently not possible. Their eastern stations are making excellent progress, and trains are coming along great, but the downtown tunnel is too far behind.

I'll still say I'm curious which will open first, but with a November date for Ottawa, I expect ION to open first between June and August, prior to September. I was previously 95% sure Ottawa would open first, I'd say I'm now 70% sure ION will open first. We can still see if ION beats the old Ottawa years-old planned opening date of May 24th :)

The city forced RTG to accept the Nov 2 date rather than an earlier date that RTG wanted. I think it's due to optics now, if RTG finishes "early" compared to November it's a win versus if they promised say August and it slipped again into September or October.

It's better to have a sure new date then ION's "I dunno.... Sometime this year we believe"

Today I caught up to it on King at Agnes, where it stopped before reversing back up the southbound track to head home. Here it is departing Agnes northbound:

I caught up to it again at Allen, as it reversed through the counter-flow section (so, not counter flowing this time). I loved getting to walk right alongside it!

I overheard the radio chatter as it came down Caroline St. Once the gates dropped, they cleared it to proceed across the intersection, through the crossover to the northbound track, and directly to the OMSF at 15 km/h, i.e. no further stops!

It may only have been 15 km/h, but without stopping it was hard to catch! I missed it at Seagram, University, and Columbia, finally catching it again at Quiet Place. No issues with the signals this time, they all worked perfectly!

When this thing runs at its rated it speed, it truly will be rapid transit!

The city forced RTG to accept the Nov 2 date rather than an earlier date that RTG wanted. I think it's due to optics now, if RTG finishes "early" compared to November it's a win versus if they promised say August and it slipped again into September or October.

It's better to have a sure new date then ION's "I dunno.... Sometime this year we believe"

Interesting take on it. Yes, hopefully it will open earlier than November. If you can't get a summer opening, Labour Day weekend would be a nice time to hit.

It's interesting though that these two lines are likely going to have different things hampering their opening date: For K-W, it's the vehicles, while for Ottawa, it's the tunnel and underground stations.

Testing on northbound track from Erb/Caroline through King/Victoria today. Although it only made it to Agnes (about 2-3 blocks north of Victoria yesterday)

Interesting take on it. Yes, hopefully it will open earlier than November. If you can't get a summer opening, Labour Day weekend would be a nice time to hit.

It's interesting though that these two lines are likely going to have different things hampering their opening date: For K-W, it's the vehicles, while for Ottawa, it's the tunnel and underground stations.

Vehicles for ION aren't really an issue anymore. There's a bunch of them parked in Kingston essentially waiting for the OK to ship from the Region of Waterloo

My bet is that ION makes it into service before the provincial election. And that Ottawa makes it into service before the municipal election.

At this point, the only thing holding back ION is delivery of LRVs. Sadly, Waterloo has taken this round. Ottawa will win on Stage 2 though!

Vehicles for ION aren't really an issue anymore. There's a bunch of them parked in Kingston essentially waiting for the OK to ship from the Region of Waterloo
Does that mean they'll be shipped all at once by CN?

Back