News   Apr 18, 2024
 524     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

And to mark the 1st anniversary....

Someone on Facebook said the car ran a red light and they got it on dashcam.
The fact that this is yet another crash on Ottawa (clearly the fault of the driver of course) makes me sympathize with the TriTAG people saying 10 years ago that there should have just been double tracking on Borden and the road closed to traffic, rather than having one set of tracks on Borden and the other on Ottawa. Ottawa is such a classic mid-century arterial with all the residential streets coming off it full of clueless suburbanites, and the light industrial stuff on the street itself creating a ton of driveways that open out directly onto it.

The fact that this is yet another crash on Ottawa (clearly the fault of the driver of course) makes me sympathize with the TriTAG people saying 10 years ago that there should have just been double tracking on Borden and the road closed to traffic, rather than having one set of tracks on Borden and the other on Ottawa. Ottawa is such a classic mid-century arterial with all the residential streets coming off it full of clueless suburbanites, and the light industrial stuff on the street itself creating a ton of driveways that open out directly onto it.

9 of the 23 collisions I have records for were on Ottawa St... hmm.

RQQ-2019-NAFD-403 : Engineering Services for the King-Victoria Transit Hub

Metrolinx is issuing this Request to Qualify and Quote (RQQ) to retain the services of Vendor to provide the goods and/or services described herein. Metrolinx intends to notify a Proponent of acceptance of its Submission and enter into a Contract through an open, fair and competitive process.
Metrolinx is accepting Submissions for the Engineering Services for the King-Victoria Transit Hub (KVTH) Project, as more particularly described in this Request Document as required by Metrolinx.
The 2009 Georgetown to Kitchener Rail Expansion Environmental Study Report (ESR) (referred to herein as the 2009 ESR) Environmental Assessment - Georgetown to Kitchener - identified a potential to incorporate the exiting Kitchener GO station leased from VIA (now owned by Metrolinx) into the planned Regional Transit Hub plan which included a connection to the LRT facility on King Street.
The existing Kitchener GO Station, constructed in 2012 is currently located between Margaret Avenue and Weber Street on the Guelph Subdivision (mile 62.7). It is currently the terminus station and will be closed once the new KVTH opens.
The existing station provides service to 97,000 riders per year with anticipated growth of 17% per year. VIA also operates from this location. The station consists of a single side platform, accessible platform, a heritage station building, approximately 100 parking spaces and a small bus stop. The future purpose of the existing heritage station building will need to be determined outside the scope of this assignment.
The new KVTH will be located between Duke and King Street in Kitchener (mile 63). The new GO station will be incorporated with the LRT station which will allow for the integration of multiple modes of transportation at one location.
Since October 19, 2017, when the MTO approved funding for the Region’s project, Metrolinx and the Region have been working together to deliver this project. The Region initially developed an AFP approach of delivery, however, late in 2018 the AFP was cancelled.
In July 2018, a consultant was engaged to complete a Reference Concept Design (RCD) for incorporation into the Region’s AFP tender. That assignment was later modified to include the conceptual design and site investigations necessary to complete a detailed design and tender package.
The overall KVTH station will be designed in two parts by the Region of Waterloo and Metrolinx. Generally, the Region’s off-corridor scope will be undertaken by the Region and its contractors. The on-corridor scope will be undertaken by Metrolinx and its contractors.
For purposes of construction of the off and on-corridor parts of the KVTH project, the dividing line between the two parts will generally be the future retaining wall along the south side of the rail corridor.
The Region of Waterloo’s off-corridor scope will include a station building with service spaces, washrooms, a shared passenger pick-up and drop-off (PPUDO), a shared bus loop, 100 parking spaces dedicated to Metrolinx, and provisions for future development.

The car was in for service in Waterloo on Wednesday so I had reason to use ION to travel from end to end. The system is now on ATP, and while that reveals the potential of it they clearly have a long way to go.

Southbound between Northfield Station and Bearinger it got up to quite a clip, but after that it was much the same as it was when purely Line of Sight driven, if not far more cautious through many spots. It still slows considerably near the crossovers by the Perimeter Institute, and was far too cautious approaching the LOS transition at Erb / Caroline, no doubt to the chagrin of drivers blocked in both directions waiting for it to arrive. After the LOS transition it remains manually operated until departing Borden Ave for the Huron Spur, where it seemed equally overcautious approaching Ottawa St. Departing Mill Station there was another exhilarating spike of acceleration and speed until just after the expressway, becoming overcautious again for the bridges over Schneider's Creek. After that it's a total s---show through the Hayward curves, up to Block Line Station and on to Fairway Station. It's no wonder the radio scanner is full of drivers reporting "late into Fairway due to ATP".

Northbound later in the day the train crawled out of Fairway, but it had departed from the non-preferred platform so took the crossover at exit rather than at entry. When watching the trains there last week they seemed to fly out of Fairway and across Wilson, which I'd really been looking forward to. Once clear of Wilson Ave the ATP launched us so quickly that the sanders were rev'ing on dry track to prevent major wheel sleep, shifting me uncomfortably in my stand-up bum seat. (I had my bike with me, so that's where I had to be.) It slowed again for the new (currently unsignalized) pedestrian crossing from Traynor to Fairway, and after that the s---show was mostly repeated until clear of the Hayward S. This time I had a GPS speedometer app running and once clear of Hayward the train launched itself to 65 km/h without any caution over the creek bridges. It was great until clear of the Expressway when it dropped to a crawl for the trailing point crossover and into Mill Station, after which we were back to Line of Sight (manual operation) at Ottawa St. Once back on ATP through Waterloo Park the train didn't seem to get much faster than the old 50 km/h manual limit, and didn't slow for the Perimeter crossovers at all despite the freight one being facing point. That was nice. It didn't seem to go above 50 until after Columbia, braking nicely for R&T Park Station. Out of R&T it briefly hit 65 again, absolutely flying across Quiet Pl and Old Albert, then slowing to well below the old manual speeds to duck under Weber St and pass the OMSF. That was disappointing.

The brief moments of 65 km/h travel were awesome but lasted no more than a few seconds, and on the whole the trip was much slower than when the vehicles were manually operated through the ATP sections. The potential is evident, but it still needs major work. I hope that the tuning continues until all is operating smoothly.

A side note: It really seemed to integrate well with the crossing gates. Except in the troublesome Hayward to Fairway section, the train seemed to arrive at the gates moments after they hit full drop and their lunars went solid white. Car drivers will love this if it remains consistent!

Last edited:
That's the first i'm hearing of that. Care to elaborate?

We don't know what Bombardier might have offered as they didn't really get the chance. In 2015 TTC board was moving to both remove Bombardier as a rolling stock vendor and only go for a cash option to terminate relations with them as quickly as possible. Given Bombardier's history, it would not have been unusual for them to offer additional units instead of cash for a settlement. Vendors typically prefer it as it shows they messed up but that the purchaser continued to have confidence in them.

"On October 28, 2015, a further report was provided to the Board reviewing options to exclude Bombardier from future bidding. At the October 28th, 2015 meeting, the Board adopted staff’s recommendation to commence a claim for liquidated damages against Bombardier. In addition, the Board adopted a number of other motions relating to Bombardier"​

It was speculated, as no detailed report was made public by either side, TTC settled for $35M cash but believed it was legally entitled to about $50M; Bombardier may have offered 8 to 12 LRVs if that option was on the table for them (roughly $50M worth).

Last edited:

Back