News   Apr 26, 2024
 199     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 443     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Finally. I think the Region's obstinacy has been a problem with this from the beginning. They clearly made no effort to identify pre-existing pedestrian desire paths and how having a line with no crossings there would hurt walkability in the neighbourhood. Then they only started working on the crossing after launch, when the people cutting holes in the fences became more noticeable. There's similar issues at Charles / Eby, lots of people jaywalk there because the distance to the nearest pedestrian crossings (at Queen and at Cedar) are just too far.

A short feedback survey for the King-Victoria terminal (the two designs shown earlier). Survey closes on February 17th.

If you take the survey, I would suggest listing a possible connection from the East-bound King plaform as a suggestion- so that there's some more noise.

I wonder- in light of the issues around intermodality and the shift in platform location in the newest schemes, would it make sense to add a stairwell+elevator to the eastbound LRT platforms, and reuse the platform on the track level as a walkway to the main station building?

I don't really "get" option 2. It's got some nice landscaping, but other than that it just seems worse than option 1:
  • No ticketing area
  • Smaller waiting area and community room
  • No sheltered access to the rail platform
  • No direct access between the rail platform and the northbound ION platform
  • Looks alright but less visually impressive than option 1

Finally! Took so long because the designers did not live in the area.
It was the biggest stand out issue I saw when construction first started and I noted it on various boards, as well to the Region. I made sure both the city and the region where informed of this coming issue of forcing people to walk a long way to shop that had no access to a car and a short trip for car drivers. If crossing for cycles and pedestrians could be built elsewhere, there wasn't any reason it couldn't be done here as well. Even used photos of the various area to drive home the need for a crossing here.

Now to take a look at this new crossing, as well shoot it.

Have to take a look at some of the locations for Phase 2 when I can.

Hopefully this phase will be shovel ready in time for post pandemic construction funding.

What's the reason for the long distance for stations between Fairway and Pinebush? The LRT will have to stop at a lot of traffic signals which is ridiculous. At least with Eglinton, most traffic signals are at stops anyway.

1587405831190.png

Last edited:
What's the reason for the long distance for stations between Fairway and Pinebush? The LRT will have to stop at a lot of traffic signals which is ridiculous. At least with Eglinton, most traffic signals are at stops anyway.

View attachment 241729
Those stations are all major transfer points. ION uses traffic signal priority so very little stopping at traffic signals. this map also doesn't tell the full story about what the line will look like. There's a lot more grade separation planned for stage 2
Annotation 2020-04-20 150713.jpg

Back