News   Mar 28, 2024
 610     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 439     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 769     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

It looks like the reason trains haven't been travelling at their maximum speed is because of a lack of ATC. I think Keolis' decision to launch in the summer regardless was the best decision, I just hope they get things fixed by the fall term.

Excellent news that the slow speed is being mitigated

I feel like much of ION was designed with little to no regard for any other mode. Walking, cycling, heck, even connections between it and GRT. Frustrating.
It was a bare-bones system. We paid less than a billion dollars for close to 20 km of light rail line. It makes sense that they cheaped out on things. Hopefully, they'll get fixed nonetheless.

almost 20km? The line is like 16km by my measurement.
I'm going by the region's quoted length (19 km), the distance they used for all the design papers back when the system was being proposed. I checked the distances as well, and the route itself is about 16 km, but when you include the split sections, it increases to 19 km.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 9.47.48 AM.png

ridership update:

During the paid period, average daily ridership is 14K PPD, with an additional 8-10K PPD across the entire system. As expected, ridership dropped by less than 50%.

What is the as-built PPD?
PPD can range from anything, as passengers can get on and off between stops, but assuming that the PPD would be passengers travelling from Conestoga to Fairview,
With the current rolling stock, the maximum would be, assuming the following maximum loads for the Flexity:
130 passengers (Beyond this, a vehicle is considered overcrowded) — 39,000 PPD
170 passengers (Crush Loading) — 51,000 PPD
190 passengers (No room left) — 57,000 PPD

If you're referring to Passengers Per Hour Per Direction (which I think you are), those values would be:
130 passengers/flexity — 975 PPHPD
170 passengers/flexity — 1,275 PPHPD
190 passengers/flexity — 1,425 PPHPD

If we increase frequencies to every 5 minutes and double the length of the trains, those numbers increase to:
130 passengers/flexity — 3,120 PPHPD
170 passengers/flexity — 4,080 PPHPD
190 passengers/flexity — 4,560 PPHPD
250 passengers/flexity — 6,000 PPHPD

I spotted some pedestrian "encouragement" at Northfield station today. The wall on the platform seemed to mostly be respected, but the cones were (clearly) completely ineffective. I'm curious to see what the permanent solution will be here and at the other stations with poor pedestrian accessibility.
20190726_172938.jpg

Last edited:
I spotted some pedestrian "encouragement" at Northfield station today. The wall on the platform seemed to mostly be respected, but the cones were (clearly) completely ineffective. I'm curious to see what the permanent solution will be here and at the other stations with poor pedestrian accessibility.
View attachment 196455 View attachment 196456

A fence?

^When I took my first ride, I was surprised at how little deterrence there was to crossing the road to platforms. Here’s an example - I had no idea that just walking across was discouraged, until I had done so and saw the ‘Emergency Exit’ sign.
If you compare to say the TTC St Clair stop platforms , they are a lot harder to get into than iOn.

- Paul

5964A2B2-FF6F-4FCC-9AA1-3F473196A8DF.jpeg
F371CFFF-B7DD-4234-A08D-5FE75E00FD46.jpeg

Back