News   Apr 18, 2024
 602     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Two other observations: being double ended, the iOn cars have a horn at both ends.
How is this different than the single-ended TTC Flexity streetcars? When you are sitting at the back of the streetcar, and they honk the horn, it sounds like it's coming from very close by.

In Ottawa when the Otrain was originally introduced in 2001 people were horribly confused about the door open button, but after a few months it was rare to see anybody confounded by it, now it's about the same ratio as people you see on a bus who don't know how to open the back door to get off.

How is this different than the single-ended TTC Flexity streetcars? When you are sitting at the back of the streetcar, and they honk the horn, it sounds like it's coming from very close by.

Probably the same placement and wiring, although I have never noticed that on a TTC Flexity before.

- Paul

I also noticed issues with the door sensors when I rode the system on the weekend. A passenger using a motorized wheelchair had the doors close on his (probably very expensive) chair as he was trying to exit the train and he did not look happy about it. I also saw the door close on at least one passenger walking out of the train. It looked to me like the door sensors were not working at all.

Oddly enough, door sensor issues like that are one of the delaying factors on the confederation line. It was considered too much of a safety risk.

On a different topic, how is the smoothness of the ride on Ion compared to a TTC streetcar? I'm curious if there's a noticeable difference

On a different topic, how is the smoothness of the ride on Ion compared to a TTC streetcar? I'm curious if there's a noticeable difference

The ride is smoother, but I think that's more because of the track and operating environment. If a TTC streetcar was compatible with and running on the ION tracks, it would probably be the exact same. The ION LRVs have wider curves, 2-point track switches, and don't have to accelerate and decelerate so abruptly around car traffic. They also start and stop a lot less thanks to the signal priority.

The ride is smoother, but I think that's more because of the track and operating environment. If a TTC streetcar was compatible with and running on the ION tracks, it would probably be the exact same. The ION LRVs have wider curves, 2-point track switches, and don't have to accelerate and decelerate so abruptly around car traffic. They also start and stop a lot less thanks to the signal priority.
Though the speeds at the street running sections are identical to the streetcars.

Though the speeds at the street running sections are identical to the streetcars.

While the speeds are similar due to congestion in Toronto, the TTC streetcars do not have a 20km/h speed limit. Ive been on a streetcar going 40kmh on road, the posted speed for the road.

The ION has a 20kmh limit on all on-road sections. Slower than the vehicular speed limit.

While the speeds are similar due to congestion in Toronto, the TTC streetcars do not have a 20km/h speed limit. Ive been on a streetcar going 40kmh on road, the posted speed for the road.
40? I've easily seen 60 km/hr. I swear they've occasionally hit over 70 on Queen or Gerrard when it's straight, at 3 AM, all the lights are green, and there are no stops to make.

Surely that's an exaggeration and 20 km/hr is the average, not the limit!

The ION has a 20kmh limit on all on-road sections. Slower than the vehicular speed limit.
20kmh limit? That is insane. How is this rapid transit?

Back