News   Apr 22, 2024
 781     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 260     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 665     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Some interesting changes to the schedule format:
  • City limits are now shown on express route maps
  • Express routes get a new front page footer, but regular routes don't
  • EasyGO stop numbers have been removed from express schedules
  • Some primarily east-west maps have been flipped upside down
Interesting and unchanged: the schedules promote a BlackBerry app that hasn't been updated since 2015, and a Windows Phone app that (as far as I can tell) doesn't exist anymore.
Routes 59 Christopher and 63 Champlain retain their status as the oldest in-use schedules, dating from April 27, 2015. The oldest schedule to get an update is route 9 Lakeshore, unchanged since January 4, 2016.

Opening day schedule

Opening weekend service hours
  • Friday, June 21 noon to 8 p.m.
  • Saturday, June 22 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Sunday, June 23 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.

For Lis et al, opening day parking is permitted at the adjacent mall and the Cineplex across the street.

On a different topic, I kinda wish they had chosen not to use the same old TTC door chime on the Ion trains. It would have been nice to have something different, since KW isn't the GTA.

Those chimes seem to be reprogammable after the fact, at least on the Citadis and I assume on Flexities too, so the fact they piggy backed on the metrolinx order shouldn't be a barrier.
Those chimes are used by default on a lot of Bombardier train products. Like the Doppelstockwagen used on DB Regio services in Germany

They are, but they we originally created for the TTC (source article now gives me a 404, but I had read it years ago). The default sound on the Citadis was a boring beeping sound, but in Ottawa it changed a couple of weeks ago to something that sounds vaguely like Vancouver's chime. You can just barely hear it towards the end of this video, if you strain and turn the volume up.

Those chimes are used by default on a lot of Bombardier train products. Like the Doppelstockwagen used on DB Regio services in Germany

The chimes pre-date Bombardier's involvement in Toronto transit projects by many years. They were first used on the SRT - built by UTDC.

For the record, there is an off-the-shelf IC that produces that exact tone and timing, and which is what used to be used in the SRT cars. It wouldn't surprise me to find that it was used elsewhere for the same reason.

Dan

The chimes pre-date Bombardier's involvement in Toronto transit projects by many years. They were first used on the SRT - built by UTDC.

For the record, there is an off-the-shelf IC that produces that exact tone and timing, and which is what used to be used in the SRT cars. It wouldn't surprise me to find that it was used elsewhere for the same reason.

Dan

Well that explains why Bombardier adopted it when they absorbed UTDC

We still have signal heads bagged and crossover switches being thrown manually out here.

The bags came off of the signal heads at the embedded crossover at Green St on Sunday, and off of those at the Cameron St embedded crossover yesterday. While ten days before the start of service seems to be cutting it awfully close, in hindsight they could probably have started operations with these crossovers still operated manually. Had an incident occurred which required segmenting the system, the points at one end could be left flipped with a Line Officer posted at the other to move them back and forth under radio contact with the approaching and departing LRVs. That said, I am glad that they've got all of the automation functional ahead of the launch. It bodes well for a smooth launch day service.

#3 :(

CTV News: Collision between car, LRT snarls traffic in Kitchener

"I didn't know what a No Left Turn sign meant, then it hit me."
The article says it was at the intersection of Green and King - but it isn't. It's the driveway for Central Meat Market in front of KWCVI. Which begs the question why it even got a crossing over the tracks in the first place - some nearby streets don't get a crossing - but a store does?

Looking at the location in Google Streetview. Yeah, there's a no left-turn sign. But why does the traffic light just show a circular green, rather than directional arrows? That could have helped. And why no U-Turn sign (which is what they was doing)?

The article says it was at the intersection of Green and King - but it isn't. It's the driveway for Central Meat Market in front of KWCVI. Which begs the question why it even got a crossing over the tracks in the first place - some nearby streets don't get a crossing - but a store does?

Looking at the location in Google Streetview. Yeah, there's a no left-turn sign. But why does the traffic light just show a circular green, rather than directional arrows? That could have helped. And why no U-Turn sign (which is what they was doing)?

View attachment 190361
The streetview for this particular intersection is from October 2018. Since then, a no U-turn sign was installed there and is clearly visible in this tweet. As for why it's a round light, right turns are permitted into the driveway.

Back