News   Apr 19, 2024
 2.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Dec 29
Watching out the window as we had Lunch, I said to the other haft "I wonder if they are testing cars today" as we were heading home. No sooner I said that, an LRV show up heading for Fairway Station. It was follow by another LRV some time later. As I drove to the station, another LRV was there and started to move as I near the station.

Parked the car and head to the platform with hope of another LRV showing up. 5 minutes later, 502 was to arrive at the station. Talking to the driver, he said it was the last run for the year.

One thing I noticed that I haven't seen before was a large flashing light as the crossing gates came down and became solid once the gates were down. The LRV crawl up to the road until the light became solid.

As the LRV was departing the station, the same flashing light, but stay that way as a fool driver fail to stop before the gates to the point it landed on its roof. After a few seconds, the fool driver drove cross the tracks and the flashing light became solid.

I also noticed a number of other changes from Highway 8 to Fairway Station that weren't done when I was last there.

Fingers crossed 2019 is the year that ION finally opens!

Shouldn't we be expecting a specific date by now, or at least a month if they're really planning on opening it this year? Their website only says 2019 but their Wiki article says spring 2019 is the expected opening date which seems way too soon

the infrastructure is complete, and they (finally) have all their vehicles. I could see an April opening being very realistic.

I could see them waiting until the school year is nearly completed to open. The summer time will be quieter and allow for testing in anticipation of the ridership increase beginning in September.

OMG!! The light rail vehicles in Waterloo get the right-of-way before the single-occupant automobile making a left or U-turn??!! We can't have that in Toronto!!

The Transportation services department would argue it's much easier to give full right of way to 10 minute rush frequencies (5 minute bi-directional) without causing backlog versus what TTC runs which is closer to 2 minute frequencies on King. It is true that giving absolute priority to Spadina trams would negatively impact TTC service on King, Queen, Dundas, and College.

Last edited:
The Transportation services department would argue it's much easier to give full right of way to 10 minute rush frequencies (5 minute bi-directional) without causing backlog versus what TTC runs which is closer to 2 minute frequencies on King. It is true that giving absolute priority to Spadina trams would negatively impact TTC service on King, Queen, Dundas, and College.

For the suburban light rail lines, like the Crosstown and Finch West LRT's, it shouldn't be a problem. Except for the single-occupant automobiles, of course.

Wk was just referring to Toronto giving advance left turns to cars (I.e. On Spadina and St Clair) instead of waiting for the streetcar to clear the intersection first. That's not the same as absolute priority.
Alternatively, the city could do away with several left turns altogether.

Wk was just referring to Toronto giving advance left turns to cars (I.e. On Spadina and St Clair) instead of waiting for the streetcar to clear the intersection first. That's not the same as absolute priority.
Alternatively, the city could do away with several left turns altogether.
ION has advanced left turns along the route too but LRVs are given priority over car traffic. The only thing with higher priority than LRVs is emergency vehicles.

Back