News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 330     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Maybe Eglinton will join the race
I mean, it arguably already is (it was originally supposed to be opened in 2o20, now it's 2021), and so are:

Finch (2020, now 2023)
Sheppard (2020, now never)
Hurontario (2021, now 2023+)
Hamilton (2021, now 2024+)
Every Transit City LRT (2016 I believe... now god knows when)

KW's delays are worse in my opinion. Ottawa had a massive sinkhole to deal with.

To be fair to Waterloo, the majority is not the fault of Grandlinq, that blame goes to Bombardier. Still, I wonder how much that sinkhole was actually responsible for in terms of setbacks for their system.

Last edited:
I mean, it arguably already is (it was originally supposed to be opened in 2o20, now it's 2021), and so are:

Finch (2020, now 2023)
Sheppard (2020, now never)
Hurontario (2021, now 2023+)
Hamilton (2021, now 2024+)
Every Transit City LRT (2016 I believe... now god knows when)

To be fair to Waterloo, the majority is not the fault of Grandlinq, that blame goes to Bombardier. Still, I wonder how much that sinkhole was actually responsible for in terms of setbacks for their system.
Didn't know those lines have been pushed back so far...shame

M
To be fair to Waterloo, the majority is not the fault of Grandlinq, that blame goes to Bombardier.
I still say Mettolnx is to blame for trying to blame bombardier for delays that weren't their fault. Metrolinx didn't need as many LRVs as they bought and handled the whole deal very poorly. If Grandingling and Ion had bought their own instead of piggybacking on an order from Metrolinx they probably would have been up and running by now.

o be fair to Waterloo, the majority is not the fault of Grandlinq, that blame goes to Bombardier.

Excellent point. I should be blaming bomber....

Still, I wonder how much that sinkhole was actually responsible for in terms of setbacks for their system.

6 months for that sinkhole seems reasonable. On their presentation today, they made it clear that on the construction side, Rideau (where the sinkhole happened) is their station that's most behind schedule. I'd put about 2-3 months of the upcoming delays and 2-3 months of the last delay on the contractor.

One of the issues is that Ottawa is really requiring a very high standard of availability and reliability at launch. It's almost a flipped switch from bus to LRT at launch. For this reason, they need all their spare LRTs operational and every station practically completed to a cosmetic level, at launch. That may have been poor planning on the part of OC Transpo.

Regional Councillor Tom Galloway tweeted this morning that "511 shipped Monday from Kingston with local equipment completed." This will be the first vehicle fully equipped with the video, voice, data, position reporting, and track-side communications gear and is critical to completion of the system integration tests.

Some photos from the LRT open showing today at UW

IMG_2210.JPG
IMG_2211.JPG
IMG_2213.JPG

These bars are different, don't recall them being on any other bombardier flexity vehicle.
IMG_2215.JPG

IMG_2216.JPG
IMG_2217.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2210.JPG
    IMG_2210.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_2211.JPG
    IMG_2211.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_2213.JPG
    IMG_2213.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_2215.JPG
    IMG_2215.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_2216.JPG
    IMG_2216.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_2217.JPG
    IMG_2217.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 595
Regional Councillor Tom Galloway tweeted this morning that "511 shipped Monday from Kingston with local equipment completed." This will be the first vehicle fully equipped with the video, voice, data, position reporting, and track-side communications gear and is critical to completion of the system integration tests.

Full details are now online at the region's site:

September 19, 2018 ION Vehicle and Testing Update

On the train to Montreal Friday, I passed by 511 waiting on a sliding with some other freight cars by Millhaven area. I was moving too fast to grab a picture. The flash of white and blue against the backdrop of earth tons and normal coloured freight trains really stood out.

Will be set by the winning contractor in 2019 and Metrolinx will change the current date once the contract is awarded.

Could be 2022-2024.

Most of the line should build pretty quickly. Port Credit railway underpass looks like the most difficult component.

Back