1.1K     1 
News   Feb 27, 2020
 2.2K     3 

Ion Light Rail (Kitchener-Waterloo) & King/Victoria Transit Terminal

Bytor

Member Bio
Reaction score
But they can be used by transit buses.
The vertical bar, when it's part on a signal mast meant for the road, as in your video, OK. But that's not we're talking about here.

Your original comment was about the horizontal bar on the tram signal masts. Those are completely irrelevant to drivers on the road, it doesn't matter what they are. Thus, they do not need to be in the drivers handbook

KevinT

Member Bio
Reaction score
I can't imagine what the driver/passengers or the poor guy's family is going through.
Ideally there were no passengers as the first southbound revenue trip departs Conestoga at 5:06 a.m. and the first northbound from Fairway at 5:30 a.m.

My thoughts are definitely with the operator and the pedestrian's family though. I never thought it would happen this soon.

tmlittle

Member Bio
Reaction score
It has finally happened up by the university.

I can't imagine what the driver/passengers or the poor guy's family is going through.
Not where I expected at all as Columbia doesn't have a lot of pedestrian traffic, especially I imagine at 5am. Sad to say but it was probably intentional.

bgb_ca

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not where I expected at all as Columbia doesn't have a lot of pedestrian traffic, especially I imagine at 5am. Sad to say but it was probably intentional.
It was actually not at the intersection but about 150m north of the intersection, so this person would have been intentionally walking down the tracks.

KevinT

Member Bio
Reaction score
It was actually not at the intersection but about 150m north of the intersection, so this person would have been intentionally walking down the tracks.
Also of note is that the Laurel Trail runs parallel to these tracks just 20 meters to the west, and a series of linked parking lots 20 meters to the east. There's no practical reason for a person even to have been on the tracks, as they're not a shortcut to anything in the area. :(

Last edited:

jje1000

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wonder- in light of the issues around intermodality and the shift in platform location in the newest schemes, would it make sense to add a stairwell+elevator to the eastbound LRT platforms, and reuse the platform on the track level as a walkway to the main station building?

tmlittle

Member Bio
Reaction score
Finally. I think the Region's obstinacy has been a problem with this from the beginning. They clearly made no effort to identify pre-existing pedestrian desire paths and how having a line with no crossings there would hurt walkability in the neighbourhood. Then they only started working on the crossing after launch, when the people cutting holes in the fences became more noticeable. There's similar issues at Charles / Eby, lots of people jaywalk there because the distance to the nearest pedestrian crossings (at Queen and at Cedar) are just too far.