News   Oct 21, 2020
 312     0 
News   Oct 21, 2020
 376     0 

Ion Light Rail (Kitchener-Waterloo) & King/Victoria Transit Terminal

kEiThZ

Member Bio
Reaction score
For Toronto in the 2010s. Ottawa had signed onto Presto long before this ever came up.
Not to get too far off-topic...but I recall this:

And whether it was public or not, I long suspect that there was at least an implicit requirement to adopt Presto for LRT funding. The strange part here is that Ottawa is so far from the GTA, while KWC is in the commuter shed of Toronto and GRT was not compelled to do so.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
Remember operating presto does cost an arm and a leg. What did ML want? Something like 10-15% of the fare plus really expensive fare readers that aren't reliable. I think any city isn't forced to use it will opt out.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Not to get too far off-topic...but I recall this:

And whether it was public or not, I long suspect that there was at least an implicit requirement to adopt Presto for LRT funding. The strange part here is that Ottawa is so far from the GTA, while KWC is in the commuter shed of Toronto and GRT was not compelled to do so.
Though this was years after OC Transpo started pursuing Presto - I expect the minister was twisting things slightly. Ottawa was only partially funded by Ontario, just like the Waterloo Ion and Toronto Line 1 extension - neither of which required signing on to Presto.

kEiThZ

Member Bio
Reaction score
Though this was years after OC Transpo started pursuing Presto - I expect the minister was twisting things slightly. Ottawa was only partially funded by Ontario, just like the Waterloo Ion and Toronto Line 1 extension - neither of which required signing on to Presto.
Remember operating presto does cost an arm and a leg. What did ML want? Something like 10-15% of the fare plus really expensive fare readers that aren't reliable. I think any city isn't forced to use it will opt out.
Agreed. I really don't think Ottawa would have signed on if it had any real say on the matter. It just makes no sense. All that said, it makes even less sense to not have it imposed on transit services (with transition paid for my Queen's Park) on transit services within a 3 hr radius of Union like Barrie, London, Kingston and Waterloo.

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score
Agreed. I really don't think Ottawa would have signed on if it had any real say on the matter. It just makes no sense. All that said, it makes even less sense to not have it imposed on transit services (with transition paid for my Queen's Park) on transit services within a 3 hr radius of Union like Barrie, London, Kingston and Waterloo.
Integration is key. If you want people to use transit when they travel, you better make it convenient for them. Having all the transit systems under 1 fare payment method is only a good thing: it will allow users to use their transit cards anywhere in the region, thereby making transit a much more attractive alternative.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Agreed. I really don't think Ottawa would have signed on if it had any real say on the matter.
That's not the impression we had when we were discussing Ottawa's recommendation to join Presto in 2007, in the Presto thread.

It looks entirely voluntary to me. It was called the Greater Toronto Area Fare System back then. What indication was there in 2007 that this was not voluntary.

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score

It looks like the reason trains haven't been travelling at their maximum speed is because of a lack of ATC. I think Keolis' decision to launch in the summer regardless was the best decision, I just hope they get things fixed by the fall term.
Excellent news that the slow speed is being mitigated

E•MO•TION

Member Bio
Reaction score

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score
I feel like much of ION was designed with little to no regard for any other mode. Walking, cycling, heck, even connections between it and GRT. Frustrating.
It was a bare-bones system. We paid less than a billion dollars for close to 20 km of light rail line. It makes sense that they cheaped out on things. Hopefully, they'll get fixed nonetheless.

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score
almost 20km? The line is like 16km by my measurement.
I'm going by the region's quoted length (19 km), the distance they used for all the design papers back when the system was being proposed. I checked the distances as well, and the route itself is about 16 km, but when you include the split sections, it increases to 19 km.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 9.47.48 AM.png