News   Jul 23, 2019
 333     0 
News   Jul 23, 2019
 204     0 

Ion Light Rail (Kitchener-Waterloo) & King/Victoria Transit Terminal

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
When I go to the areas that have rail transit, I like to just go for a ride.

Now, If I could figure out how to do a cost effective ride on all the GO trains, I will.
You could do it on New Years when they are free. But only after 8. So it will be dark out and of course some GO trains are unidirectional. However on NYE they have bi directional service.

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Take the VIA train one way, and take GO back. The 7 day/week express 25C runs between Square One and University of Waterloo make the trip much more bearable (the regular 25 route makes so very many stops along the way).

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
There are VIA rail trains however.
A day trip is quite feasible on VIA - and much faster. Depart Union around 11 AM, arrive in Kitchener around 12:30. Shame it didn't stop at Bloor ...

Return at about 9:40 pm arrive Toronto about 11:20 pm. 7 days a week. Only 2 trains a day now.

Shame that the federal Tories cut the service from 5 trains to 3 trains ... and then more recently to 2 trains under Harper.

More expensive of course.
About 19% more expensive if you book ahead ... being a relatively short trip, the pricing isn't horrific. You can get tickets for Sunday for $32 each way. And there's some (late) Saturday tickets left at $23 ... which is what you can normally get a week in advance. GO is $19.40 cash

For frequent travellers, you can get the 20 ride ticket (10 round-trips). At $14.70 that's cheaper than GO ($16.32 with Presto)!

KevinT

Member Bio
Reaction score
On a different topic, I kinda wish they had chosen not to use the same old TTC door chime on the Ion trains. It would have been nice to have something different, since KW isn't the GTA.

Those chimes seem to be reprogammable after the fact, at least on the Citadis and I assume on Flexities too, so the fact they piggy backed on the metrolinx order shouldn't be a barrier.
Lol, until just a few months ago the next stop displays were cycling through Crosstown stop names during their 'walk through an LRV' PR events.

Be careful what you wish for. Kitchener's musical sound is Oom Pah Pah. :)
We moved beyond that in the 90's, now it's the chicken dance...

AndreWW

Member Bio
Reaction score
Some interesting changes to the schedule format:
  • City limits are now shown on express route maps
  • Express routes get a new front page footer, but regular routes don't
  • EasyGO stop numbers have been removed from express schedules
  • Some primarily east-west maps have been flipped upside down
Interesting and unchanged: the schedules promote a BlackBerry app that hasn't been updated since 2015, and a Windows Phone app that (as far as I can tell) doesn't exist anymore.
Routes 59 Christopher and 63 Champlain retain their status as the oldest in-use schedules, dating from April 27, 2015. The oldest schedule to get an update is route 9 Lakeshore, unchanged since January 4, 2016.

kps

Member Bio
Reaction score
Opening day schedule

Opening weekend service hours
  • Friday, June 21 noon to 8 p.m.
  • Saturday, June 22 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Sunday, June 23 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.

For Lis et al, opening day parking is permitted at the adjacent mall and the Cineplex across the street.

jordanmkasla2009

Member Bio
Reaction score
On a different topic, I kinda wish they had chosen not to use the same old TTC door chime on the Ion trains. It would have been nice to have something different, since KW isn't the GTA.

Those chimes seem to be reprogammable after the fact, at least on the Citadis and I assume on Flexities too, so the fact they piggy backed on the metrolinx order shouldn't be a barrier.
Those chimes are used by default on a lot of Bombardier train products. Like the Doppelstockwagen used on DB Regio services in Germany

Kyle Campbell

Member Bio
Reaction score
They are, but they we originally created for the TTC (source article now gives me a 404, but I had read it years ago). The default sound on the Citadis was a boring beeping sound, but in Ottawa it changed a couple of weeks ago to something that sounds vaguely like Vancouver's chime. You can just barely hear it towards the end of this video, if you strain and turn the volume up.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Those chimes are used by default on a lot of Bombardier train products. Like the Doppelstockwagen used on DB Regio services in Germany
The chimes pre-date Bombardier's involvement in Toronto transit projects by many years. They were first used on the SRT - built by UTDC.

For the record, there is an off-the-shelf IC that produces that exact tone and timing, and which is what used to be used in the SRT cars. It wouldn't surprise me to find that it was used elsewhere for the same reason.

Dan