News   Jul 22, 2019
 591     1 
News   Jul 22, 2019
 340     0 

Ion Light Rail (Kitchener-Waterloo) & King/Victoria Transit Terminal

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm surprised by that. Anyone who knows anyone who grew up on a farm knows that it doesn't apply on private property in Ontario ... but I'm surprised that agricultural provinces like Quebec, Saskatchewan, and Alberta would require licence's on private property. Are you sure? I guess I should find out before I let my daughter drive on the private road near the cottage in Quebec ...
Driving farm tractors in Quebec (even on private land) requires a class 8 license (lowest in Quebec, higher is generally acceptable) and a minimum age of 16. AFAIK, it's a written and vision test only.

kps

Member Bio
Reaction score
What parking lot should I use when ION LRT opens on the 21st, if I can't use the GO Train to visit?
Since it's a weekday, I suggest the Fairway stop, which has a small park&ride lot that probably won't be heavily used yet. Failing that, there are various parking garages near the downtown stops, and the Bramm St lot ~5 minutes walk from ‘Central Station’ is free after 5pm.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Since it's a weekday, I suggest the Fairway stop, which has a small park&ride lot that probably won't be heavily used yet. Failing that, there are various parking garages near the downtown stops, and the Bramm St lot ~5 minutes walk from ‘Central Station’ is free after 5pm.
Presumably Conestoga Mall as well.

Gosh, I wonder how may people will be treating the shopping malls as park-and-rides. :)

lenaitch

Member Bio
Reaction score
If they act "criminally" on the right-of-way, then they can be charged under the laws of Canada, not under the laws of Ontario. It would be a "railway".
I'm not sure I follow the direct logic line between a criminal offence and "it would be a railway".

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
The schedules are now up for the revised bus services and for Ion LRT.

I'm really pleased to see the LRT will run no less frequently than every 15 minutes, even late evenings and Sunday, contrary to service plans that specified only 30 minute service during later evening service periods.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Yeah, that's not too bad. I'm surprised it's only once every 10 minutes at peak - for some reason I thought it was going to be every 7.5 minutes.

Gosh, first trains into UW arrive at around 4:30 AM. But last southbound departure at night is just after midnight. I'd have thought shifting that all about an hour later would have worked better. I remember trying to get home at 1 or 2 AM. But never going anywhere at 5 AM!

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yeah, that's not too bad. I'm surprised it's only once every 10 minutes at peak - for some reason I thought it was going to be every 7.5 minutes.

Gosh, first trains into UW arrive at around 4:30 AM. But last southbound departure at night is just after midnight. I'd have thought shifting that all about an hour later would have worked better. I remember trying to get home at 1 or 2 AM. But never going anywhere at 5 AM!
That's probably because of where the storage and maintenance centre is located (north of UW), but I suspect more students are heading northbound late in the evening from Downtown Kitchener and Uptown Waterloo restaurants and bars towards the campus and off-campus housing than the other way around.

It's also good to see extra Route 7 service between Uptown Waterloo and Conestoga Mall during rush hours - probably an acknowledgement that the LRT route doesn't serve WLU and the high-rise off-campus housing cluster at King and University that well.

timio

Member Bio
Reaction score
This schedule is for summer when frequencies and usage are less. It will be more frequent starting in September.

Kyle Campbell

Member Bio
Reaction score
On a different topic, I kinda wish they had chosen not to use the same old TTC door chime on the Ion trains. It would have been nice to have something different, since KW isn't the GTA.

Those chimes seem to be reprogammable after the fact, at least on the Citadis and I assume on Flexities too, so the fact they piggy backed on the metrolinx order shouldn't be a barrier.

knlaruw

Member Bio
Reaction score
Presumably Conestoga Mall as well.

Gosh, I wonder how may people will be treating the shopping malls as park-and-rides. :)
This has been happening at the three malls with iXpress service for ages. I used to drive to Conestoga Mall to take the bus back to UW to save on parking.

knlaruw

Member Bio
Reaction score
On a different topic, I kinda wish they had chosen not to use the same old TTC door chime on the Ion trains. It would have been nice to have something different, since KW isn't the GTA.

Those chimes seem to be reprogammable after the fact, at least on the Citadis and I assume on Flexities too, so the fact they piggy backed on the metrolinx order shouldn't be a barrier.
Dreaming here, but can we have a more aggressive chime like in Asia?

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
There is a certain irony on a transit forum of transit geeks in driving and parking to see a new transit line. @W. K. Lis this gave me a good chuckle.
When I go to the areas that have rail transit, I like to just go for a ride.

Now, If I could figure out how to do a cost effective ride on all the GO trains, I will.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for. Kitchener's musical sound is Oom Pah Pah. :)