News   Sep 26, 2024
 520     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 676     0 

International Walk to School Month is October

I don't think laziness is the route cause, but rather parents being convinced that their kid will be kidnapped by predators if they let them walk to school on their own. It's complete paranoia in the face of statistics and common sense.

And presumably, also, parents scared of being deemed either "impoverished" or "unfit" by letting their kids walk to school on their own...

I would likely be a lazy parent. When I was younger, I did not even pick up the phone if my parents asked where I was. I was like "stop bothering me!!"

I remember one time when my sister was at first year in Univeristy (I was in High School) and my parents called her to see how she was. They tried calling her a dozen times and called her friend and no one knew where she was. So they freaked out and sped to Hamilton from Brampton at 2am at night to find her sleeping in bed.

When I heard that story, I couldn't stop laughing. I make fun of my parents till this date over that incident. Due to the fact she was so sheltered, she lacks any knowledge of the world. She can't tell which way is North from her own house!!!

Like I went to Manhattan without a map and like a hour I easily was able to figure out which way is North, South, East or West. Also watching all those NY based TV shows helped!! :D

Which way is north? 12:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, with the sun overhead at noon, north is where your shadow is pointing. (or 1 P.M. Eastern Daylight Savings Time)

Have an analog watch? Match up your shadow with the little hand. 12 is north. Make adjustment for daylight savings time, if needed (use 1 o'clock for north during daylight savings).

Just like "Gay Pride? What about Straight Pride?", some yahoo should ask "Walk to School Month? What about Drive to School Month?"

Back