305     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 555     0 

Interesting subway train rollsign

W

wyliepoon

This was the front of the subway train I took on my evening commute today...

P1060523.jpg

A closeup on that destination sign...

P1060524.jpg

Pretty cool sign - but please re-size your enormous pics next time before posting!

That's odd. "Downtown" is really supposed to be a sign for the Y-U-S (basically, going Downtown, and terminating somewhere like Osgoode or Queen or Bloor/Yonge.

I have a pre-2002 subway rollsign in my collection in my locker (the Sheppard Subway exposures are "Yonge Street" and "Don Mills", not "Sheppard-Yonge" - I think Union Station and St. George are still destinations at this point, and it does have "Downtown."

I have never seen that exposure used in revenue service.

How possible is it that this is a relic of the 60's? I could have sworn "Downtown" was actually a destination when Interlining existed...

The interlining-era signs were different - Eglinton via Downtown, Woodbine via Downtown, Keele via Downtown I think is what the signs said. Anyway, there were signs that said "via Downtown" instead.

Interesting. The train being an H6 (it appears to be one anyway), I don't think it's a relic from the 60's, although I think I may have seen old pictures of G1s and H1s with that roll sign. Vague signs like that were pretty common. St. Clair cars in the 1970s used to just have St.Clair-SUBWAY on their rollsigns. The old "via Downtown" signs were a hold over of the coil system (those old flip-up signs that are still in the stations) that would change their destination based on the position of the coils on the front of the approaching train. You'd have short turns at Eglinton, or Museum (and St. Clair West, which is still a scheduled short-turn). And as Sean said, they are a holdover from the interlining era as well. This train may be preparing to short-turn, but my guess is those signs are being put in place on Bloor trains in anticipation of the diversions through Lower Bay next month.

Personally, I'd love to see the return of "Garage" on the buses, rather than the namby-pamby, Sorry, not in service. Bleh.

But Fiendish, I would assume that "garage" means the bus is still in revenue service to the garage and try to board. "Sorry Not In Service" is a nice catch-all.

Sorry, I can't be bothered to pick you up even though you and the three dozen suckers have been waiting for a bus for 30 minutes. Sorry, while the bus in service, there's no room to load you on this crappy Orion. Sorry, this brand new "the Future is here" Orion VII broke down, and is not picking anyone up, and is awaiting a tow.

My favourite exposures are the special short-turn designations for the 96 Wilson - 96F to Jane (basically running to Arrow Road Garage in service) and 96H to Wilson Station. I do not think other routes have short-turns (unscheduled or not) that are anything else than the "S"

HSR has the "Mountain Garage" exposure used often - when most of your routes terminate downtown, there's a long deadhead back to the garage at the extreme south end of the city. But at least many or most run in service.

In the old days, garage meant just that, the bus was deadheading to the division. That was it, no apologies.

ttc9170_lansdowne.jpg

Back