News   Jul 26, 2024
 258     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 279     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 320     0 

Illegalsigns.ca - Illegal Outdoor Ads Tracker

what's wrong with putting a sign on your property? is it a safety issue (securing of the sign) (visual distraction)?

what would be the reasons for people putting up illegal signs? is it too expensive to get a permit? why would a permit be rejected?

I have yet to understand how spacing can be against corporate advertising, but all for postering/flyering of parking meters & lamp posts.

What Spacing is against is the message, not the medium. If you were to fill up Dundas Square with anti-consumerist propaganda they wouldn't object to it.

see_your_ad_here.jpg

:eek

spacing.ca/wire/?p=1522

UPDATE: Just to be clear, Illegalsigns.ca is not a project of Spacing. We’ve had a few people ask us if we are running the site, but we’re not. Illegalsigns.ca is an independent organization and is run by a group of volunteers.

What a clever initiative. Identifying examples of visual pollution as being illegal, so that public space can be returned to the public, is a worthwhile public service.

I think these guys are genius, and I give them a lot of credit for their efforts.

public space can be returned to the public, is a worthwhile public service.

Except none of it is public space. It's all private property.

...but the discussion of the exterior presence of private property makes up a great bulk of the debate on this forum: I believe that indicates most here consider private property rights to carry public realm responsibilities too, and that societally we want space constraints on advertising.

public 42

We embrace it in general, yes, but the fact that laws are apparently been broken by the placement of advertising signs indicates that reasonable limits have been placed on it too.

Society has deemed these signs to be illegal.

As a property owner, you are restricted as to what you can do with your property. For example, as a property owner, I can not (at least a hypothetical me, my condo corporation has the responsibility for some of these):

- Operate a grow-op.
- Operate a sweatshop in the basement.
- Have an unlicenced basement apartment.
- Turn my backyard into a scrap yard.
- Pave over the lawn for parking.
- Turn my lot into a 100 floor condo without due approvals
- Put up any type of exterior signage or advertising without due approval.

And I must
- Clear snow in a timely fashion
- Pay all due property taxes

I'm also sure that society embraces seeing those gawddamn Telus monkeys or Bell Beavers all over the city. Society, while supposedly embracing advertising, has also chosen governments that restrict advertising.

Back