News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 773     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Ideas for a vacated Elizabeth Street Bus Terminal site

The most recent plan was to move it to 90 Harbour Street and link it up with a covered walkway to Union Station.

Actually the most recent studies by Metrolinx/GO seem to have rejected the 90 Harbour Street location and they are continuing to look at expanding the Union Station bus station

I'd rather see two structures, just to make the redevelopment less monotonous. I'd also hope that the terminal building itself is given a meaningful preservation. Not just a facadectomy, but a real preservation/conversion. I'm not sure what the space would be good for (a restaurant? spa? really ostentatious lobby?).

It would be great if those two blocks of Dundas storefronts could also be cleaned up at the same time. Again, some of those buildings are gems that I'd hate to lose (the buildings on the NW corner of Bay/Dundas and the NE corner of Dundas/Elizabeth come to mind), and most of the storefronts are pretty disposable, tho a couple I would rather see moved to the Edward side of a new development (we could have a mini ersatz historical facade district along Edward, with the relocated storefronts lined up beside the preserved coach terminal).

I'm not sure what sort of height the city will allow back there because of the NPS view corridor thing that they're worried about, but I'd like to see something at least as tall as Atrium on Bay, if not taller. And then I'd like it to be something that continues the Yonge/Dundas vibe. It doesn't necessarily have to be all covered in LEDs (the Ryerson Business Building does an okay job of continuing the stretch, and it's pretty mundane), but it should have either mixed uses, or an entertainment component, or have an interesting design.

Actually the most recent studies by Metrolinx/GO seem to have rejected the 90 Harbour Street location and they are continuing to look at expanding the Union Station bus station

Good as 90 Harbour would be the perfect place for a new city tallest (not including CN)

Are they really going to limit the height north of Dundas because of City Hall's view corridor? It seems like any area within spitting distance of NPS, north or south, is off-limits to highrises.

Why must the core be straight-jacketed on all sides?

The whole block around the terminal seems ready for intensification. Not just the terminal spaces and empty parking lot, but that drear Faculty of Dentistry building. A few years ago the faculty was considering moving closer to main campus, but I have no idea if that project is coming to fruition.

I'd like to see a second Sick Kids research building on the site, preferably taking in all of the strip along the north side of Dundas from Bay to Elizabeth.

Would this fall under Build Toronto's jurisdiction?

BUILD TORONTO’s approach to development is to create greater financial and City-Building value from the City’s underutilized real estate assets.
Through a City-run process, a selection of sites that are underutilized and surplus to the City’s needs, are identified to be transferred to BUILD TORONTO’s portfolio.

When a site is identified, our team, which includes experts in development, construction, planning and approvals, legal, environmental, leasing and marketing, undertakes a comprehensive review to understand a site’s individual challenges, in order to begin to identify opportunities for development.

Back