Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

When was that road in Mississauga named Duke of York? Edit - I did some deep searches, and the earliest I could find is a couple of casual mentions in 1989 in the Toronto Star - it didn't appear to be new then. But then I could find no further mentions until the mid-1990s! Easier since then with all the condo ads ...

Andrew didn't become Duke of York until 1986 - I'd assumed the road pre-dated that, and would have been named for his grandfather - our last King.
The road was built about the same time as Mississauga City Hall. The road was named after Andrew, and was unveiled when he and his new wife Sarah Ferguson came for a royal visit. They opened city hall, if I recall correctly.

Some MSF interior shots.

1630522901956.png

1630522909869.png

Driveway closures in Port Credit beginning next week. Got the notification from work yesterday.

Attachments

• Notice of Temporary Closures.pdf
    34.9 KB · Views: 177
What's the minimum parking by-laws along Hurontario Street (Main Street in Brampton)? If they want passengers to use the Hurontario LRT, then minimum parking should be encouraged for residential, commercial, and offices within at least 1+ km of the LRT.

How the Twin Cities Abolished Parking Minimums (And How Your City Can, Too)

From link.
The Twin Cities’ victory over mandatory parking minimums was won by smart, persistent organizing among advocates and well-informed electeds — and other large U.S. communities should be bold in considering similar policies, the architects of the reform say.

In a 6-1 city council vote, the city of St. Paul said it would “fully eliminate off-street parking minimums for real estate developments … modernizing [their] zoning codes and aligning them with best practices for land use while reducing administrative burdens for small businesses and developers.”

That seismic shift came on the heels of a similar announcement from sister city Minneapolis, whose own council unanimously voted in May to stop subsidizing the storage of private automobiles. The city had previously identified parking minimums as a barrier to achieving is goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions 80 percent by 2040 and committed to eliminating them at some point, but did not actually enact the ban city-wide until now.
With a combined population of nearly 725,000, the Twin Cities region is now the largest metro in the U.S. to introduce the progressive reform. The smaller communities of Buffalo and Hartford both made the move in 2017, and hundreds of other smaller municipalities have eliminated minimums in designated districts.

Here are four lessons on how they did it, from some of the advocates and city officials who were most instrumental in the effort.

Make parking policy personal

The residents of the Twin Cities didn’t simply wake up one day and decide that parking minimums needed to go. Instead, they were convinced by advocates that parking reform could be a useful tool in accomplishing a range of other community goals — especially when it came to ending climate change.

“You can approach parking reform from so many angles,” said Chris Meyer, an early proponent of the issue in the region. “Historic preservationists connect with it because of how it creates neighborhood character, affordable housing proponents like to talk about how it increases the housing supply, conservatives can make a market case for it…But in central cities like ours, the best angle to target is climate.”

Meyer was among the many Twin Cities advocates who recognized that the region’s greenhouse gas reduction goals simply couldn’t be met without addressing how free and cheap car storage incentivizes driving. With the help of then-council aide (now-Rep.) Ilhan Omar, he helped the 13 members of the Minneapolis City council to make that connection in 2015 when he gifted each of them a copy of Donald Shoup’s seminal book The High Cost of Free Parking — an easy self-described “stunt” that he encourages other advocates to borrow in their own towns.

(If your region’s campaign finance laws restricts you from giving gifts to candidates, Meyer recommends making yours to the council person’s office, rather than the elected him, her, or themself.)

Organize, organize, organize

Meyer’s Shoup stunt paid off, but achieving parking reform at scale had to wait.

After Minneapolis eliminated parking requirements in less-than-50-unit buildings within a half-mile radius of transit stations, advocates set their sights on a more far-reaching ban, this time leveraging an upcoming election to encourage candidates to put parking reform on their platforms.

Meyer himself was eventually elected to the Parks and Recreation board, which lead to a spot on the local planning commission, too. But he stresses that any advocate can use the campaign cycle to help propel big changes, whether or not she runs for office herself; the candidates he helped lobby as an election delegate, for instance, were instrumental in getting parking reform included in the city’s far-reaching climate action plan, Minneapolis 2040.

“The difference between 2015 and what we did in May is kind of like the difference between civil unions and marriage equality,” jokes Meyer. “We have enough transit in Minneapolis that most of the most substantial effects of [the policy] were already in place the first time around, but it still wasn’t good enough. We really wanted to establish the principle that we should not force people to build auto infrastructure against their will — period.”

Point to other cities’ success

Minneapolis’s incremental progress was frustrating, but it was progress — and in the meantime, it inspired its sister city speed up its own efforts.

St. Paul’s own parking reform advocates were quick to encourage their own electeds to follow the Mini-Apple’s lead and expand exemptions for parking requirements beyond the areas adjacent to city’s famous Green Line light rail stations, where the city had already eliminated minimums roughly a decade before.

City leaders say that policy succeeded in reducing parking at projects in that region almost 30 percent while encouraging a flurry of new development, but leaders had dragged their feet on instituting wider reforms.
“It got to the point where almost every new development outside the Green Line seemed to be coming at us with one parking variance or another,” said Nathaniel Hood, a planning commissioner for St. Paul. “We’re talking about, for instance, under-funded daycares that were being forced to provide 28 parking spots for a staff of 12 people. … It felt so onerous to have to deal with this every single time, and eventually the city council just said, ‘If we don’t build a single new parking spot for the next five years, we’ll still have an tremendous amount…This policy isn’t doing us any good.'”

I believe Mississauga is considering reducing (but not eliminating) parking minimums in chunks of the city.

It’s out for public consultation, so may yet be nerfed.

Is the pedestrian tunnel from the Port Credit north lot to the south platform open at the moment or blocked for construction?

Is the pedestrian tunnel from the Port Credit north lot to the south platform open at the moment or blocked for construction?
The last I saw, it was open with access to the east end only of the north parking lot as they were working where the temporary bridge was. Watch out for the speeding cycles as I have been hit once by them and have come close a number of other times.

As for reduce parking, being calling for it close to 2 decades with 50% or less along Hurontario for new development as well around Sq One. The city did reduce the parking to 1:1 for units, but it has climb again. The joke at council was that when one moved into the city core that call for 1 parking spots, 3 cars would show up with 2 trying to find a place to park free.

City staff has gone against council wishes by pushing reduce parking and had their hands slap.

Last edited:
The last I saw, it was open with access to the east end only of the north parking lot as they were working where the temporary bridge was. Watch out for the speeding cycles as I have been hit once by them and have come close a number of other times.

As for reduce parking, being calling for it close to 2 decades with 50% or less along Hurontario for new development as well around Sq One. The city did reduce the parking to 1:1 for units, but it has climb again. The joke at council was that when one moved into the city core that call for 1 parking spots, 3 cars would show up with 2 trying to find a place to park free.

City staff has gone against council wishes by pushing reduce parking and had their hands slap.
Around the hospitals in Mississauga, there is paid parking. What happens is that some end up parking for free at shopping malls, maybe across the intersection or a couple of blocks away, and walking the rest (if visitors, of course). That's one reason for ending free parking everywhere.

Sorry there was a plan to put the sports complex downtown at one point?

I don't having an arena for junior hockey is a good thing in the city centre. With all the Toronto sports teams, junior hockey isn't well followed in the GTA and it would be a white elephant.

I don't having an arena for junior hockey is a good thing in the city centre. With all the Toronto sports teams, junior hockey isn't well followed in the GTA and it would be a white elephant.
I guess I think it could be used for multiple things. Smaller concerts. WNBA. The raptors 905 leads the d league in attendance and has some of the leagues highest ticket prices and that’s at a run down stadium which isn’t central.

Don't we already effectively have one at Maple Leaf Gardens.

Not to mention the Ricoh Centre, depending on your definition of downtown (and with a new subway station built across the street it might as well be downtown, 4 stops from University Avenue on subway and one stop from Union on GO).

The popularity of Raptors 905 absolutely shows that Mississauga could support a larger indoor stadium. Something with ~10000 seats (like Budweiser Gardens in London, Place Bell in Laval, or Scotiabank Centre in Halifax) built with the ability to easily expand to 15000+ in the future would be perfect. There are plenty of other potential occupants through some of our fledgling fast-expanding leagues (NLL and CEBL), the ECHL, WNBA, etc, not to mention NBA-G and the OHL, in addition to being used for more concerts and events.

I'm pretty confident we will see public interest grow very quickly for a new arena downtown after the Hurontario LRT is online.

Last edited:
Don't we already effectively have one at Maple Leaf Gardens.

Not to mention the Ricoh Centre, depending on your definition of downtown (and with a new subway station built across the street it might as well be downtown, 4 stops from University Avenue on subway and one stop from Union on GO).
Sorry I was advocating for Mississauga to attempt and be a bit of its own city.

The popularity of Raptors 905 absolutely shows that Mississauga could support a larger indoor stadium. Something with ~10000 seats (like Budweiser Gardens in London, Place Bell in Laval, or Scotiabank Centre in Halifax) built with the ability to easily expand to 15000+ in the future would be perfect. There are plenty of other potential occupants through some of our fledgling fast-expanding leagues (NLL and CEBL), the ECHL, WNBA, etc, not to mention NBA-G and the OHL, in addition to being used for more concerts and events.

I'm pretty confident we will see public interest grow very quickly for a new arena downtown after the Hurontario LRT is online.
Would be better for Mississauga if they build it near a public transit hub. This is NOT the United States of Automobiles.

Back