Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Work progressing on Port Credit LRT station excavation. I think this was taken on Sunday.
DJI_0884.JPG
DJI_0885.JPG

DJI_0886.JPG
DJI_0888.JPG

June 11
More up on site
Traffic lights working at Hillcrest with the centre medium still to be remove and no work has started on Hurontario yet.

The maintenance complex is almost enclose and installing windows and the remaining siding. Work is well underway for the west end yard with grading taking place. Seawger being install from Kennedy Rd to inside the maintenance. complex.

Back filling taking place for the new road off Kennedy in place of the current one as well more grading to being the whole area up to the same level as the road to Kennedy Rd. Don't know how much of the area to the east of the maintenance complex will be use for the yard at this time.
Fairview
51240684207_97714fe377_b.jpg

John St
51242162059_4acbe9d36e_b.jpg

Hillcrest
51242162024_6b0ac28ccf_b.jpg

Dundas
51241594528_3c0a73f2f4_b.jpg

51241392901_ca6d9a1367_b.jpg

51240683272_61b9d157b3_b.jpg

maintenance complex
51241592758_55f2939cff_b.jpg

51241390881_045f896e35_b.jpg

51240681377_f60d7e0cd2_b.jpg

51240681312_03188e9aba_b.jpg

51241625648_b211af387a_b.jpg

51242191859_b48df9901f_b.jpg

51242476895_dab952a82d_b.jpg

51240713877_ea4c8a3ac7_b.jpg

51240713837_5a2c13890d_b.jpg

Sorry if this is off topic, but one thing that really bothers me about Mississauga is that there are very few viable biking options to get to the lake from North of the QEW. Hurontario is the best option for a lot of people, and it's horrendous. You either risk going under the train tracks on narrow roads where drivers are often speeding, or you have to walk (or as some people unfortunately do, ride) your bike on a narrow sidewalk with pedestrians trying to get through.

Are there any planned cycling infrastructure improvements on hurontario, especially near Port Credit/under the rail line? I've looked at the renderings, and it looks like they're widening the sidewalks, but that there won't be any bike infrastructure. I hope I'm wrong.

This is the rendering I'm referring to: http://www.metrolinx.com/images/greaterregion/projects/hurontario-lrt/Port-Credit-GO-Street-View.jpg

Edit: Writing this comment encouraged me to look further, so I did sort of find an answer in this planning document (http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/hurontario_epr/Appendix_A1_LRT_Infrastructure_Design.pdf). It specifies a "Multi Use Trail" on the West side of Hurontario, but the document is unclear as to how that will be integrated, and whether it'll be asphalt or concrete. It appears that the MUT flows directly into the "Southbound" side of the stop. Is this area going to only be a MUT, considering this is a terminal station?

Last edited:
Sorry if this is off topic, but one thing that really bothers me about Mississauga is that there are very few viable biking options to get to the lake from North of the QEW. Hurontario is the best option for a lot of people, and it's horrendous. You either risk going under the train tracks on narrow roads where drivers are often speeding, or you have to walk (or as some people unfortunately do, ride) your bike on a narrow sidewalk with pedestrians trying to get through.

Are there any planned cycling infrastructure improvements on hurontario, especially near Port Credit/under the rail line? I've looked at the renderings, and it looks like they're widening the sidewalks, but that there won't be any bike infrastructure. I hope I'm wrong.

This is the rendering I'm referring to: http://www.metrolinx.com/images/greaterregion/projects/hurontario-lrt/Port-Credit-GO-Street-View.jpg
Its completely horrendous. The other choice is Mississauga road and it is narrow south of the QEW with traffic that speeds by way above the limit. If you're travelling southbound making the transition from the exit lane to get on the highway to the through lane can be downright dangerous. Go further west and youve got the S***show of Erin Mills Parkway which is even worse. Something needs to be done.

I've biked in some of the most dangerous places in Asia and Africa and it is only been Toronto where I have been hit by cars...twice.

Its completely horrendous. The other choice is Mississauga road and it is narrow south of the QEW with traffic that speeds by way above the limit. If you're travelling southbound making the transition from the exit lane to get on the highway to the through lane can be downright dangerous. Go further west and youve got the S***show of Erin Mills Parkway which is even worse. Something needs to be done.

I've biked in some of the most dangerous places in Asia and Africa and it is only been Toronto where I have been hit by cars...twice.
Thank you!! What's irritating are the two golf courses that take up so much space with no pedestrian/bike bypasses, so the distance between Mississauga Rd. and Hurontario at Dundas is >5km! Mavis (or Glengarry) should've been another road that crosses the Credit River. As you said, all the options are horrendous. I have biked to Port Credit on Mississauga Road exactly ONE time, because it is insane. I don't understand how so many bikers are ok with it. When I drive through the area, I refuse to pass a biker unless the opposing lane is empty and I'm able to cross the yellow line to give the biker space. Many other drivers are not willing to do that and will pass dangerously close!

By the way, I updated my last post as I did a bit of research in the planning documents, and it looks like there is a "MUT" planned for the West side of Hurontario. However, the planning document isn't entirely clear, and it looks like the "MUT" will still be elevated onto the curb and have harsh bumps at every street crossing. In other words, far superior to what currently exists, but a massive lost opportunity to better link Port Credit to the rest of the city for bikers.

Any ramp off an expressway will have the same "problem". Instead of looking at fixing the road design, they blame the cyclist.

Boy dies after being struck by car while riding his bicycle in Markham

From link.

11-year-old boy died in hospital after collision near Highway 407 and Warden Avenue​

Thank you!! What's irritating are the two golf courses that take up so much space with no pedestrian/bike bypasses, so the distance between Mississauga Rd. and Hurontario at Dundas is >5km! Mavis (or Glengarry) should've been another road that crosses the Credit River. As you said, all the options are horrendous. I have biked to Port Credit on Mississauga Road exactly ONE time, because it is insane. I don't understand how so many bikers are ok with it. When I drive through the area, I refuse to pass a biker unless the opposing lane is empty and I'm able to cross the yellow line to give the biker space. Many other drivers are not willing to do that and will pass dangerously close!

By the way, I updated my last post as I did a bit of research in the planning documents, and it looks like there is a "MUT" planned for the West side of Hurontario. However, the planning document isn't entirely clear, and it looks like the "MUT" will still be elevated onto the curb and have harsh bumps at every street crossing. In other words, far superior to what currently exists, but a massive lost opportunity to better link Port Credit to the rest of the city for bikers.
What a disaster the multi use trail on Hurontario south of South Service road is now. It's like five feet from the road on the east side. If you're riding southbound in the morning you're literally in the shadows and southbound cars waiting to turn left into driveways just don't see you. Or, with all the hedges and landscaping at some business, cars don't see you when they pull out because of the obstruction. I used to bike that section on my way to work quite frequently about a decade ago. On my way from Etobicoke, it wasn't the transport traffic on the West Mall (south of Dundas) or sometimes having to run the light at Sherway Drive and Dixie because the stupid traffic light wouldn't change if there was no car in the lane, or trying to bike over the QEW on that weird stretch of Dixie that worried me. It was that stupid multiuse trail. While I was spared as a cyclist, a coworker clipped a cyclist with his car when he was pulling out of the company driveway. Fortunately the cyclist was not badly hurt.

It's almost as bad as that one on Eglinton that crosses the east mall where it ends there. Used to ride that stretch a lot and almost got clipped there. Riding westbound on the trail, the traffic that is on the East Mall and wants to make the right turn on Eglinton doesn't look to their right for cyclists. I stayed on the bike as she just grazed by back tire so I don't count that in my total of being hit.

Somehow I felt safer biking in Saigon and Phnom Penh than I do here in my own city/region. Coincidentally, I hauled out my trusty steed from the garage for the first time in a few years. Now after reading these posts and writing this one, I am really not sure I feel safe riding.

Of all things, there is a cycle committee in Mississauga and they have real impact on new and old paths with money being invested them, yet there is no transit committee.

A 4 year was kill at the top of my street a few weeks ago at Hurontario and not surprise by the rate of speed of cars turning off Hurontario onto Elm. The kid was crossing Elm at the time with the family.

I gave up my bike as its unsafe to ride one in Mississauga these days.

The last I know of, there are to be bike path next to the sidewalk on Hurontario.

Highway ramps are the most dangerous place for pedestrians and cyclists.

The kid is killed on an on ramp to the highway where he was suppose to wait till traffic is clear before crossing. I had the feeling that he was riding on the sidewalk and just cross the ramp without looking and thinking he had right of way, which he doesn't on Ontario freeway ramps. This is not like a right turning ramp at an intersection where vehicles need to yield to pedestrians.

York Region does have a conceptual plan to improve on ramp but needs MTO to step up. It includes installing "wait for gap" signs to let people know they don't have priority and cars don't have to stop for people to cross the ramp.

They should really make cars yield to pedestrians in urban areas.

8 more intersections still need construction traffic lights and 2 to be turn on for full completion of the corridor.

Storm water lines being install where the waterlines was installed.

Drove down Hurontario this morning from Square One to just North of Minneola. It looked like traffic was single lane south of Minneola and it was backed up considerably. Can't imagine how bad this will be during the week.

I am actually surprised more cyclists aren't killed since a lot of them don't follow the rules of the road (or any rules for that matter). Do they not teach bicycle safety in school anymore? I was taught to dismount the bike to cross an intersection. Wear a helmet is also a good rule. For even better safety, wear a safety vest especially at night, dusk or dawn. You would be surprised how many cyclists wear black at night. I have seen a disturbing new trend along Eglinton Ave. and that is the amount of cyclists on the road when there is a perfectly good bike path completely separated from the road. Not sure why they would go on the road. Since I drive a commercial vehicle, I do change lanes to allow cyclists the full lane but there have been several times (downtown Toronto) when a cyclist in a bike lane darts out into my lane for no reason without looking. I think some people are trying to get killed and the speed won't make any difference.

I am actually surprised more cyclists aren't killed since a lot of them don't follow the rules of the road (or any rules for that matter). Do they not teach bicycle safety in school anymore? I was taught to dismount the bike to cross an intersection. Wear a helmet is also a good rule. For even better safety, wear a safety vest especially at night, dusk or dawn. You would be surprised how many cyclists wear black at night. I have seen a disturbing new trend along Eglinton Ave. and that is the amount of cyclists on the road when there is a perfectly good bike path completely separated from the road. Not sure why they would go on the road. Since I drive a commercial vehicle, I do change lanes to allow cyclists the full lane but there have been several times (downtown Toronto) when a cyclist in a bike lane darts out into my lane for no reason without looking. I think some people are trying to get killed and the speed won't make any difference.
Sometimes, bikers don't like the fact that the trails are out of the way, or have a destination on the road. I take parallel, less-busy roads whenever I can - but many people don't. What if there is no alternate route? I would not generalize, because people have unexpected circumstances (many a pothole that a car can drive over, a bike cannot). Do we expect cars to take an inconvenient route to protect bikers because "there's a perfectly good road right next to it"?

I see how some cyclists bike dangerously. But there are also poor drivers. You can't just blame an entire group for something caused by a small portion of it. For this reason, I hesitate to blame drivers 100% of the time - poor road design is probably a larger factor.

Anyways, this is off topic. Could a mod move the last few cycling related posts to a cycling thread or the Vision Zero thread?

Back