Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

View attachment 251599

This has to be one of the most uninspired and ill-planned intermodal station stop I have ever seen.

Like, this is the premiere destination on the LRT, and its an open shelter with a walkway to the adjacent bus stop.

Could they not have at the very least put the LRT station right next to the bus stop and shifted the road to the other side?

But really this deserves a much better treatment. Like a proper enclosed station for buses and LRT with an elevated LRT coming into it.

How we went from an underground bus station for the Transitway to this is embarrassing

That's a really narrow crosswalk for all the transfers that should be expected here.

I was disappointed to see that details for the Brampton Gateway terminal aren't shown. Originally, it was to be a standard centre platform with crosswalks to the terminal at Steeles and at the north bus exit, which at least would have provided two crosswalk connections, rather than the one pictured for MCCT/Square One. Then with the old Brampton council flaking out, the LRT terminal was moved to south of Steeles to allow for whatever fantasy line they were dreaming up, with an underground tunnel connection to the buses. With a new progressive council, the old Main Street route is back on the table, and so the original plan makes sense again.

As for Oxford, they really need to get their act together, especially if they're looking to intensify the parking lots.

I'll be short and frank here; the entire Square One City Centre Terminal needs to be rethought as a whole. Between GO Transit's "terminal" (ie: glorified bus lay-bys), the Mississauga bus terminal, and now this LRT terminal, none of them knit well together at all.

I believe that the City of Mississauga is working behind the scenes to design a new central terminal for the Transitway, LRT, and bus services. I would assume that whatever get proposed would require minimal modifications to the LRT infrastructure, and would be “built around“ the LRT station. But we’ll have to see what gets proposed.

I believe that the City of Mississauga is working behind the scenes to design a new central terminal for the Transitway, LRT, and bus services. I would assume that whatever get proposed would require minimal modifications to the LRT infrastructure, and would be “built around“ the LRT station. But we’ll have to see what gets proposed.

This is exactly what is happening, it's all part of the TPAP for the downtown Mississauga transit terminal and Transitway connection.

I have a couple more images from 2018 that show the plans for it, the new terminal is supposed to be on the site of the Playdium parking lot, with the Transitway looping around it, most likely underground. The transit terminal project and the HuLRT are separate in scope and at completely different stages, which is why we see a crappy looking City Centre station at the moment. I have no doubt that we will see the integration of the stop into a much more comprehensive transit terminal building.

Screenshot_20200616-110826_OneDrive.jpg

Screenshot_20200616-110845_OneDrive.jpg

That's a really narrow crosswalk for all the transfers that should be expected here.

I was disappointed to see that details for the Brampton Gateway terminal aren't shown. Originally, it was to be a standard centre platform with crosswalks to the terminal at Steeles and at the north bus exit, which at least would have provided two crosswalk connections, rather than the one pictured for MCCT/Square One. Then with the old Brampton council flaking out, the LRT terminal was moved to south of Steeles to allow for whatever fantasy line they were dreaming up, with an underground tunnel connection to the buses. With a new progressive council, the old Main Street route is back on the table, and so the original plan makes sense again.

As for Oxford, they really need to get their act together, especially if they're looking to intensify the parking lots.

The current Brampton Council is still trying to see if the Gateway Stop can be moved to the north side.

20200616_122612.jpg

This is exactly what is happening, it's all part of the TPAP for the downtown Mississauga transit terminal and Transitway connection.

I have a couple more images from 2018 that show the plans for it, the new terminal is supposed to be on the site of the Playdium parking lot, with the Transitway looping around it, most likely underground. The transit terminal project and the HuLRT are separate in scope and at completely different stages, which is why we see a crappy looking City Centre station at the moment. I have no doubt that we will see the integration of the stop into a much more comprehensive transit terminal building.

View attachment 251858
View attachment 251859

Thanks for the details! Do you have any more images or links you could share where we could learn more? Thanks!

I have already asked the question about moving the Steeles Stop from the south side to the north side for the future extension to Brampton GO and been told not in the cards at this time. With Brampton now requesting the change, MTO most likely will review it and ask Ford for approval at Brampton cost.

The cost to move the stop north is only the cost of the tracks crossing Steeles as well for the station, since the rest of the cost is already cover by the south side. There maybe the need to relocate utilities and that will have to be pickup by Brampton as well the cost of the tracks and engineering drawings rework for change of location. Still got a year or so before construction starts on that station.

Looking at those 2018 plans, I see they moved the Transitway ROW crossing the 403 from Duke of York to Confederation and wondering why?? Has the city stop looking at building the north service road and if so, why not build the Duke of York bridge since it will be faster that doing Confederation???

I know the Platdium site has been the prefer site for a number of years, but it has to be for the whole site if you are planning a new transit hub for 2040 and beyond since the ridership will be double to triple than it is today. I have no current data, but between CCTT and GO, ridership is close to 60-70,000 today. I know the Chapter site was also been looked at as option 2 based on what Oxford wants price wise and use for the Platdium site. The best option is to put the whole terminal underground that will allow development to take place above it. It ends up as a win win for everyone and riders protected from the weather all year round compare to what takes place today.

Mississauga stills needs to remove a few more routes from the transit terminal today. I am assuming Brampton will terminate the 502 at Gateway Terminal once the LRT is in operation. The other unknown is will route 2 and 17 operate as it does today once the LRT is in service or stay on Hurontario only like the 103, but servicing all existing stops?? If those routes are remove from the CCTT terminal, that will be 2 less bays needed. GO will require a few more bays, as well layover area.

I'm probably super late to this party but I know when this was in discussion that Brampton balked against the idea of bringing this downtown (I believe). Is this going to have real transit connections or impacts on the City of Brampton or will it kind of go to the edge only?

I have to agree with the photo of the station posted recently that it seems they really took the laziest approach to creating that station. It means that riders still need to be wary of vehicles when they are moving around and means that the vehicle is still #1 on that section of road. As someone who is not from Mississauga and doesn't visit often is there no better design available to give riders a little protection in winter and something to look at. Would be nice to see the investment into the facilities as well.

I'm probably super late to this party but I know when this was in discussion that Brampton balked against the idea of bringing this downtown (I believe). Is this going to have real transit connections or impacts on the City of Brampton or will it kind of go to the edge only?

The Hurontario LRT will reach Steeles. That's within the City of Brampton. The Mississauga-Brampton border is just south of the 407.

Also, the MSF is in Brampton (the HuLRT virtual consultation has some preliminary construction pictures), and the LRVs will be made by Alstom in Brampton.

In December 2018 at the first meeting of the 2018-2022 term Brampton Council voted 11-0 to approve the Main St corridor and are doing a study with to look at updating the surface route that was recommended by staff in 2015, do a George Street Loop, or do a tunnel.

See this post (No. 4,372) for the latest including the decision timeline for what's next.

Also, this page on the City's website:

Last edited:
To keep cost within the budget range, everything was scale back along with things been cut 100%. Landscaping will be bare minimum along the whole route.

If the Mississauga and the Region wants things added or upgraded, they must pickup the full cost to do them. At this time, there is no money to do so with the COVID-19 cost on hand.

I expect the city centre station will be upgraded once a firm vision for the new transit terminal has been developed. Having a nice overhead over the station and to the transit terminal would be nice.

The Mississauga was to built a walkway over Hurontario St for Cooksville GO Station years ago and then go pushed to the LRT plan and be part of the cost of building the LRT. It was kill by the province. The city is still trying to get that walkway built not on their dime, but will have to do it sooner or later for better access to the LRT and the GO Station, as well across Hurnontario.

I would be very surprise if Brampton is willing to pickup the full cost of a tunnel, since Metrolinx made it known during the EA they would only fund it with the money that was to build the surface line. That will not even cover 20% of the cost of the tunnel.

Hurontario south of the QEW looking south preconstruction
DJI_0428.JPG

Natural gas line relocation work - looking south.
DJI_0418.JPG

I would be very surprise if Brampton is willing to pickup the full cost of a tunnel, since Metrolinx made it known during the EA they would only fund it with the money that was to build the surface line. That will not even cover 20% of the cost of the tunnel.

They don't seem interested in a tunnel anymore. Since December 2018 they've talked about relocating the station to the north side of Steeles, just like the HMLRT EA had shown it. So it'll be interesting to see what publicly comes out next from that recent reference to design work that was passed by Brampton Council recently.

Back