Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I would have died laughing trying to write this report.

More than 110 encroachments were identified by staff. The great majority of property owners
and/or tenants were cooperative and removed encroachments by the end of 2018. However,
enforcement did issue subsequent notices to some property owners with a final deadline of May
3, 2019 to remove encroachments. By that deadline, 15 encroachments remain, including signs,
walkways, benches, concrete barriers and submarine.

?

No way this project is gonna be done in 2022 ey? Does 2023 seems reasonable?
Based on what I have seen for the surface section of the Eglinton Crosstown Line, late 2023 is when the Hurontario Line could see service. Then Hurontario will not be wide as Eglinton once completed. Since a tunnel at Port Credit has to be built as well a bridge over 403 and an elevated line to the current transit area at Sq One, these will be done in 2020/2021.

The contractor will set the date in their bid/contract as to when the line will go into service, not Metrolinx.

If the extension into Brampton is to take place now, it could be done as a phase and open after the current plan line is to open.

Until the contract is awarded, a guessing game on various things at this time.

Cross post with Mississauga thread:

Our latest video talks about why Mississauga actually might have pretty good transit, watch here:

Don't forget to share, like and subscribe for more!
I was actually quite impressed that they offer night service. I always flirt with the idea of Line 2 being extended to Square one...but density not there.

Last edited:
I was actually quite impressed that they offer night service. I was flirt with the idea of Line 2 being extended to Square one...but density not there.
Its only taken 16 years to do this after I proposed all night service on 11 routes plus within a waking distance of 15-20 minutes. Route 1 was the closes route to 24 hr for weekday.

After seeing 4 US systems so far on my trip, they are lucky to see 15 minutes 7 days a week and no 24 hr service

Square One itself has a lot of density right now, pretty sure there are multiple towers planned over 200m. I think the bigger issue is the lack of density along the route.

That being said I think a subway could work here but, it needs to be right-sized. Would only want about 4 stops total IMO and each would have significant bus terminals to bring in lots of patronages. You'd also probably want to redesign Missisaugas bus network.

Given the extension would be 12 km we can't justify it now, however maybe in 20 years, it will make sense when there is a more critical mass in Square One. It's surprising when you think that there is not currently a planned high quality transit link from the core of Toronto to the core of Mississauga.

8 stops over the 12 kilometres makes more sense.
  1. East Mall (Cloverdale),
  2. West Mall (Sherway),
  3. Dixie@Dundas,
  4. Tomken@Bloor,
  5. Cawthra@Burnhamthorpe,
  6. Central Pkwy@Burnhamthorpe,
  7. Hurontario@Robert Speck
  8. Square One.

Thank god Mississauga is not part of Toronto and as such can't hold Toronto transit planning hostage with subway extension demands

8 stops over the 12 kilometres makes more sense.
  1. East Mall (Cloverdale),
  2. West Mall (Sherway),
  3. Dixie@Dundas,
  4. Tomken@Bloor,
  5. Cawthra@Burnhamthorpe,
  6. Central Pkwy@Burnhamthorpe,
  7. Hurontario@Robert Speck
  8. Square One.
I think the stops should be:
  1. Orbiter
  2. Spectrum
  3. Tahoe North,
  4. Tahoe West
  5. Dixie
  6. Tomken
  7. Cawthra
  8. Central Pkwy
  9. City Centre (Sq1)
(i.e. Extend Eglinton)

"3. A modern Light Rail Transit on Main Street

• The City of Brampton is assessing various options to extend the LRT on Main Street, north of Steeles Avenue to the Brampton GO station in Downtown Brampton. Options include both surface and sub-surface routes.

• The City of Brampton is seeking approximately $1.7 billion through funding partners in the Federal and Provincial government in order to proceed with a fully-funded Light Rail Transit on Main Street, extending to the Brampton GO station, and a future Downtown Brampton Mobility Hub that connects to the GTHA and beyond."

Thank god Mississauga is not part of Toronto and as such can't hold Toronto transit planning hostage with subway extension demands

Be careful what you ask for!

Is there a length beyond which a subway is “too long”? At some point it must become hugely difficult to avoid bunching and gaps... and operators (short of fully auto operation) need breaks. It may not be desirable to keep extending eurher Line 1 or Line 2 outwards, for operational reasons. Let alone the issues of actually planning and building enough density along the full length to make it justifiable.

The construction cost would likely be better spent on Regional Rail, with HLRT and maybe some further. BRT/LRT linking to it.

And yes, there will be screams unless Line 2 also goes north to Markham.

- Paul

missing link would be a far better investment for the western gta than any line 2 extension. since it now appears that it isn't happening I am open to a subway extension into mississauga but it would be such a shame tunneling right beside a rail corridor

I've always pictured a subway extension to Square One running along the Milton GO corridor on the surface to save costs over such a long distance. Something like:

Cloverdale
Sherway
Dixie (At rail corridor)
Cawthra (at rail corridor)
Cooksville (at GO Station)
Central Parkway / Elm (at Kariya)
Burnhamthorpe (at Kariya)
Square One

Perhaps it could be split into two phases, the first one as a small extension to Sherway. That type of alignment would make it so the 12km would have maybe 5km tunneled and 7km above grade.

The main problem with this would be that travel times would be getting pretty extreme to get downtown. It's already almost 30 minutes to get from Kipling to Bloor-Yonge, plus the new line would add another 18-19 minutes of travel time. Going from Square One to downtown would probably still take an hour on the subway.

Last edited:

Back