Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I live in Mississauga not far from that intersection and I've never heard it referred to by that name.

Though you do find some people who refer to Hurontario as highway 10 (particularly north of the 401), I have never met anyone who refers to the Mississauga section of Dundas as highway 5.

I think if you ask random 100 young people (say under 30) in Mississauga where the 10&5 intersection is, over 90 of them would have no clue.

Maybe because no one in Mississauga refers to that intersection that way? Older folks still remember those designations but wouldn’t call the streets using them anymore.

Ha! Tell that to my Sauga buddies. And with a proper branding campaign, something as reflexive as "5 & 10" would quickly catch on. "Hurontario & Dundas" is just a mouthful and too clunky. Any hoo, I don't know why intersections in Manhattan have up to 5 subway lines serving it with stations all with the same name, with no sense to have to give each an individual distinct moniker, yet we are so obsessed with telling apart a LRT stop in Mississauga from bona fide subway stations at "Dundas West" and/or "Dundas" in Toronto. How dumb do planners take the average commuter for not to know the difference? That's what we ought to ask ourselves.

I've lived in Mississauga my whole life. It was only much, much later in life that I ever heard of Dundas being referred to as Highway 5.

So no, 5 & 10 is not gonna happen, no matter how much some people would like it to happen.

Do some people still call Hurontario Hwy 10? Yes, but there are NO signs that say Hwy 10 in Mississauga, and there hasn't been for years. Add to that, no regional roads in Mississauga or Brampton have the regional road number on the street signs. There are separate regional road markers randomly on the regional roads, but not on the street signs.

TBH I have no idea why Apple Maps decided to redesignate Hurontario as Hwy 10, when it was downloaded decades before Apple Maps was even created.

"Highway 10" is common because it is easier to say than "Hurontario Street", but there is no reason to say "Highway 5" instead a much more simple "Dundas".

I like that Hurontario has a colloquial name. It's in people's mind as something more than just Hurontario. To formalize it like with a station name kind of ruins it.

"Dundas-Hurontario" is fine. No need for the even longer "Dundas and Hurontario", which doesn't fit the subway naming conventions anyways.

"Highway 10" is common because it is easier to say than "Hurontario Street", but there is no reason to say "Highway 5" instead a much more simple "Dundas".

I think people say Hwy. 10 because Hurontario has no history as a street in a prewar city.

April 22
Had to see the Doc today and decided to do some before construction shots of Hurontario as well a video of where the elevated T connection is to go. The line will be on the west side of Hurontario and less than 100' to the support columns.

The way I see it, the south direction track to Station Gates will start at the on ramp for 403 and head toward the dump truck by City View where it will be still elevated until it gets pass the west city of the road. The curve to go south and connect to the through track will start just east of City View and will connect to the through track around Rathburn Rd.

The north elevated end will start to move to the centre of the road just before the on ramp to the 403 is.

What I am not sure of since there was very little detail for it as well talk, will the south end be elevated going over Sq One Dr and Hurontario or will be at grade at this point. If it elevated, not enough room to get it to grade by Robert Speck on the north side under 5% grade. It will be a pain for everyone if the tracks are at grade crossing Sq One Dr as well both crossing for Hurontario.

Looks like most of those centre trees will be cut down, as they have a red dot on them.

Here is a video of where the elevated T will be and post later some photos of what I shot today.

I think people say Hwy. 10 because Hurontario has no history as a street in a prewar city.
It was also the terminus of the 403 for many years while parts further east were constructed and Highway 10 was well known because of that terminus.
"You take the 403 to Number 10, then go north/south to Five/Seven" would be the directions.

In laws live at Hurontario and burnamthorpe. My wife’s family never refers to it as highway 10. Even if some people still do isn’t Mississauga attempting to have their own version of Yonge street and trying to be more urban. A numbered highway doesn’t scream urban and eventually the people who used to know it as highway 10 will die off.

Back