Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

On one hand, seems poor to be changing it now.

On the other hand, that new route looks much simpler operationally - and faster.

With all of the utility relocation for the City Centre loop already ongoing, I wonder if the feds or Mississauga would be willing to kick in the extra bit to maintain the loop?

Does this mean that there will not be any direct access from the Cooksville LRT stop and the GO station above? Will people wanting to connect between LRT and GO train have to cross Hurontario to do so?

Good question - it looks like the bridge will be moved to the mobility hub study, rather than become part of the LRT itself. Perhaps it would be part of development of the GO property (especially once the parking garage opens) or adjacent lands, such as the Fabricland plaza on the east side of Hurontario. In the short term at least, it appears that yes, transfers might have to be made at grade, crossing the southbound lanes of Hurontario.

^ Embedded example: think of the ROW for Spadina, on what the Crosstown will have on its surface portion on the east side.
Fixated: think of the exposed portion of the Queen streetcar on Queensway, except in the Hurontario LRT's case they will probably use a base layer of concrete. You also see this on the crossover portions on the Waterloo Region LRT near the terminal stations. Picture in UT here.

That's my non-expert understanding.

Open track has its advantages - it's easier to keep traffic off of it and it looks more "rapid transity" - but isn't as nice looking, and it prevents legitimate use by vehicles such as fire/police/ambulance from using it. It also makes it more difficult to cross on foot - not that it should be encouraged anyway.

While eliminating the loop does save travel time - it makes the LRT miss the highest growth and density area of Mississauga, which is quickly turning out to be the western part of Downtown. A 72 storey condo was proposed last week right in front of one of the now eliminated LRT stations.

While eliminating the loop does save travel time - it makes the LRT miss the highest growth and density area of Mississauga, which is quickly turning out to be the western part of Downtown. A 72 storey condo was proposed last week right in front of one of the now eliminated LRT stations.
Maybe the City should plan for a BRT route along Burnhamthorpe, similar to what they are planning along Dundas.

Open track has its advantages - it's easier to keep traffic off of it and it looks more "rapid transity" - but isn't as nice looking, and it prevents legitimate use by vehicles such as fire/police/ambulance from using it. It also makes it more difficult to cross on foot - not that it should be encouraged anyway.

Can fixated track be embedded later?

Like could they at a later date decide to pour and embed in concrete.

Or maybe grass! (one can dream)

Mayor Crombie has put out a statement, here. She seems pretty keen on getting the loop done. Federal funds maybe, as a separate project?

While I understand the financial pressures, the downtown loop is a key component of the Hurontario Light Rail Transit (LRT) and will help us realize the full potential of downtown Mississauga......

....While the downtown loop may not be constructed as quickly as we would like, we will examine other funding opportunities to build it at a future date

Best news I've heard all day.

^ Embedded example: think of the ROW for Spadina, on what the Crosstown will have on its surface portion on the east side.
Fixated: think of the exposed portion of the Queen streetcar on Queensway, except in the Hurontario LRT's case they will probably use a base layer of concrete. You also see this on the crossover portions on the Waterloo Region LRT near the terminal stations. Picture in UT here.

That's my non-expert understanding.

Nice, I hope that's the case. I much prefer visible tracks.

Now the cat is out of the bag and having my hand slap for saying some things that were not to be said considering it was common knowledge for months and since early 2018, I can fill the group in. I was told to remove my posting. This is work in process and most likely change once the tender is close. Metrolinx is following me and the group. No big deal for me.

The line is very strip down from what it was supposed to be. All stations will be scale down and look the same, other Port Credit and Gateway which remain as is. Hwy 407 will not be build at this time since the BRT doesn't exist nor a timetable for it, let alone money. Provision for it will be there if it surface. A few stations will be move to deal with the changes as well business owners. Not sure if Gateway Station will be move back to the original location since Brampton is looking at Main St again. It would remove the cost of the tunnels where it was plan to go before Brampton change its mind.

The "LOOP" has been removed with provision for it under City cost. The line will come off Hurontario onto Rathburn and run along the north side to Station Gate Only as stub tracks to allow for future extension. Love this as it never made sense from day one as well forcing riders to change trains and defeat the goal of getting people to/from the Cooksville GO Station from the north. Still going to add travel time, but not as much as a loop. I still say the new transit terminal should be next to Hurontario and there is room to do it. It would become a standard station on a straight line.

The walkway bridge from the Cooksville GO Station to the LRT Stop has been removed and will be the responsibility of the developer who will be developing the current parking lot.

I raised the issue of grass replacing the concrete and the open track plan and was shot down due to cost and electrify the rails. Give me a break when its done around the world for decades. Then the ROW is not wide enough for emergency vehicles.

Station names as I posted so there is no duplication of stations name under Metrolinx System Map. All Major St names will be use along with Hurontario added to it.

The ramp bridge over 403 will see the line move off Hurontario south of Sq One Drive and cross it before the elevated section takes place to get over the ramps off Hurontario and City View Drive. On the north side of 403, the line will head toward the centre of the road just before the ramp to the 403. What is not known nor said, will there be crossing gates at the 3 crossing or traffic light. Knowing the drivers these days, better have crossing gate.

There is no need for a BRT on Burnhamthorpe due to lack of ridership west of Hurontario or Mavis. Better service is needed 7 days a week, especially east of Hurontario.

Last edited:
Yikes this is become a loooong procurement process. RFP was issued Aug 2017. https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Hurontario-Light-Rail-Transit/

Oh well, as long as it's done right! I don't think the loop is a huge loss. It added some much complexity and time to the overall route. The connection to the bus hub is still there with the additional bridges.

I presume the short listed bidders would have known about removal of the loop for some time now. So hopefully proposals can be finalized soon if they are to meet the 2022 date.

Back