Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

A lot of mid-sized American cities have successful LRT (and other transit) systems built over the past decade but nooo, Canada is just somehow so much better than AmeriKKKa at everything

A lot of mid-sized American cities have successful LRT (and other transit) systems built over the past decade but nooo, Canada is just somehow so much better than AmeriKKKa at everything
I guess whether that statement is true or not depends on what your definitions are of:

1. A lot
  2. Mid-sized
  3. Successful
;)

I have used Phoenix as the poster child for LRT since its first year of operation for a number of reason. It has exceeded ridership at various stages decades ahead of schedule; 66% of ridership is supposed to be off peak; bidding war to get an extension and down X street; expansion is happening years and decade sooner; development is popping up along the corridor or near that wasn't plan for in the first place.

So far, Cincinnati has fail to meet its goal and a lot has to do with the city government, enforcing no parking and a line that needs to go beyond the current location. Even the Tide is a failure in my eyes after ridding it in Norfolk, especially poor service hours and where it doesn't running to.

Doing some drive repairs and rebuilding a system, I came upon a page for a draft report I was writing in 2003 and I call for a BRT then on Hurnontario. No idea how it got into something else. Try to upload the pages, but not allow. Doing a cut and paste for since a few people have requested what I wrote back then. I forgot my recommend options back then.

BRT Hurontario Street

It is proposed that in the short run that a BRT system is built on Hurontario Street from the South Service Road to Shoppers World Mall in Brampton.

This will involved the removal of the curb lane that is presently used by all traffic at present time. Also, all layovers will be eliminated.

This will involve the removal and relocating approximately .8 meter of existing curb, drainage and paving the .8 meter the full length of the BRT route as well adding a .9 meter barrier separating the BRT system from rest of the roadway.

Only standard 40DLF buses will uses for this system with 5 minute head time or less depending on the time of day and passenger load. 40DLF Double Deck buses can also be use sparely.

By using this method, it allows MT to maintain the current location of major bus stops. A few bus stops will need to be move.

There will be lights on the barriers for both buses and regular traffic allowing buses to travel with less restriction using priority system.

The barriers will be cut back at intersections that require transport trucks to turn in the first place.

Any vehicles caught in the busway are subject to $1,500 fine other than police and emergency vehicle.

The biggest issues to build this busway is between Hillcrest Ave and Queensway because of the strip plazas and various properties. Also, cannot put a barrier south of South Service Rd because of the number of residentially homes in this area as well widening the road in the first place.

Over the next 20 years, passenger loads between Brampton and Mississauga will increase to the point that buses will not be able to handle the passenger loads. Is will require a better vehicle compare not only to a 40 foot bus but also 60 foot articulated buses. This will require moving too a 2 or 3 cars LVR or Monorail system.

If a LRT system is to be use, overhead wire will be required that will be supported by poles along the route. The wiring system will not be like TTC that they use at present time. Also, the roadway will have to be torn up to install a concrete roadbed as well as a slab containing rail to carry the LVR. There will be a need for a maintain facility as well as a yard to store the LVR some where in the industrial area between 401 and Derry Rd.

By moving to this system it will become an environment friendly system with clean air.

It is recommend that the city look at building a Monorail up the center of Hurontario Street with stops only at Port Credit GO Station, QEW, Paisley Rd, Dundas Street, Cooksville GO Station, Central Parkway, Burnhamthorpe Rd, Square One, Kingsbridge, Eglinton Ave, a stop between Trailwood Ave and Ceremonial Dr, Bristol Rd, Matheson Blvd, Trader Blvd, Britannia Rd, Countery Park, America Dr, Derry Rd, Ray Lawson and Shoppers World Mall.

Stations are to be build over the roadway with a center platform connect to the ground by stairs, elevators and escalators. Construction is to be precast beams and columns as this will be the fast method to build the system.

After all footing are install and beams and columns manufacture, it will take 1 year to install the full system and cause the less inconvenient to traffic. Only sections of the road will be subject to road closures for short period of time until the columns and beams are installed.

Buses will still be use to service stops not service by Monorail.

This system is based on present day system in operation in Vancouver BC, Seattle Washington and Malaysia.

Again a yard and maintenance facility will be required some where between the 401 and Derry Rd.

Cost to build this BRT is $30 Million per kilometer for a total cost of $600 Million

Cost to build this LRT is $45 Million per kilometer for a total cost of $900 Million

Cost to build a Monorail is $80 Million per kilometer for a total cost of $1.6 Billion

Cost to build this BRT is $30 Million per kilometer for a total cost of $600 Million

Cost to build this LRT is $45 Million per kilometer for a total cost of $900 Million

Cost to build a Monorail is $80 Million per kilometer for a total cost of $1.6 Billion
Your numbers are very optimistic. From what I've seen in Canada the cost per KM for surface LRT is around $100 million, subways generally $300 million.

Your numbers are very optimistic. From what I've seen in Canada the cost per KM for surface LRT is around $100 million, subways generally $300 million.
Those are 2003 numbers and 15 years outdated.

Curious to know when you put "Monorail" as an option, do you literally mean a true monorail? Or is that simply used as a general catch-all term for an elevated subway/light rail line (which is a more realistic option than an actual monorail)?

Curious to know when you put "Monorail" as an option, do you literally mean a true monorail? Or is that simply used as a general catch-all term for an elevated subway/light rail line (which is a more realistic option than an actual monorail)?
Was a true Monorail and it was in the 2003 report. I rule it out by 2004, as well today.

Last edited:
Brampton politics is funny and confusing......the entire municipal election was trying to weed out the candidates that did not support this Vision 2040 thing.....if you did not fully support vision 2040 you had no chance of being elected for any position above dog catcher.......you know what was a hugely important part of Vision 2040? Yep, LRT on both Kennedy and McLaughlin.....but particularly Kennedy which was to see the current Brampton Golf Course lands and Powerade Centre lands redeveloped as a hub of commerce and entertainment. What words are contained in the first motion passed by the new council? Yep, you got it:

View attachment 166420

So the way the motion reads is that BRT will go on Kennedy and McLaughlin, with LRT on Main. That way those corridors still get RT. From the motion:

That staff be directed to revise the Brampton LRT Extension Study to (a) make any minor updates to the HMLRT EA, (b) use Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) as the technology for Kennedy Road and McLaughlin Road and consider extending those alignments further north and/or south, (c) study rapid transit options from the Brampton GO Station to Mayfield Road on Main Street as contemplated in the TTMP, and (d) report back on an implementation strategy for a downtown Mobility Hub;

^ HuLRT ends at Steeles. They are talking studying the Main Street portion of the original HMLRT.

It's all semantics really to be fair. North of Bovaird it's called Hurontario again and now even that area is apart of the plans for consideration. If 70% of the line follows Hurontario, referring to the line as such is not a big deal.

What route or line number will the Hurontario LRT be given?

In Mississauga, route 1 is DUNDAS. In Brampton, route 1 is QUEEN. Who knows what the Town of Caledon has? (Toronto has dibs on Line 1.)

Maybe use a letter "A" for the Hurontario LRT? "B", "C", etc. for short turns?

Last edited:
Brampton's downtown LRT is back on track — but part of it might now go underground

I totally missed that Brampton is now re-examining tunnelling part of the HuLRT.

HuLRT should be treated like the Eglinton Crosstown with several grade-separated sections. In particular:

- From Lakeshore to the QEW and the QEW crossing
- Dundas
- From south of Burnhamthorpe, Square One area and 403 crossing
- 401 crossing
- 407 crossing
- Steeles/Brampton Gateway
- From Nanwood to Vodden
- Bovaird

What route or line number will the Hurontario LRT be given?

In Mississauga, route 1 is DUNDAS. In Brampton, route 1 is QUEEN. Who knows what the Town of Caledon has? (Toronto has dibs on Line 1.)

I think (guessing) that Metrolinx will come up with a numbering/naming system for the GO and LRT network once it all rolls out. And if when the subway gets uploaded to them, I assume the there will be one map with the subway + GO rail + LRTs, and a new numbering methodology.

Back