Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

A good policy is to eliminate transfers not create new ones. Sure those from north of Nelson are forced to make a transfer but they would be doing that at a regional transit hub which makes more sense than creating a new forced transfer at Shoppers World. Downtown Brampton is a regional transit hub. Shoppers World is a transit hub for Brampton.

Well, hopefully the eventual LRT extension will go straight up to Caledon one shot and be done with it.

Oh god no. It's the same reason some people are weary of more local GO service in Toronto especially during rush hour. The trains are full by the time they reach the city, could see the same thing happening here if it was done. Only way around would be to offer a combination of express regional and local service, but this isn't NYC and we aren't building a double track subway system like theirs.

Last edited by a moderator:
^that is a new one....people from KW having been on train for >hour to get to an LRT to get them to work +/- 30 minutes away were going to interrupt their trip to wander around DT Brampton....really? that is the justification for building an LRT when even the inflated numbers in the study pointed squarely at BRT?

What LRT on Queen? ML has been very clearly using the words RT when talking about some off in the distance rapid transit for Queen......that RT (even though the ridership numbers will far exceed the inflated ridership numbers used to justify the HMLRT) will be BRT in its own lanes. I was never one of the "route is wrong" guys (I was always a "right route, wrong technology" guy) but I think in the course of time what will happen is that the 502 and 501 will end up upgraded to full BRT and that will end up being the right choice for Brampton and will be a much smoother integration/intersection of the Main and Queen RT solutions.

Think of it this way. If you were a business owner who was looking to open a office for 200 employees anywhere in the region of Peel and your employees wanted to access the office by transit (because they are green) where would you locate? You would locate at the place where your employees had access to the most transit options, so they could come from all directions as easily as possible. That is what a Mobility Hub is. Under the Metrolinx plan that hub would have been one strong hub around the Brampton GO station. Under the City's plan you get two half-assed hubs, one at the GO station and one at Steeles. Quite frankly, if I were the business owner in question I might have located in Downtown Brampton but now I would locate in Cooksville.

Think of it this way. If you were a business owner who was looking to open a office for 200 employees anywhere in the region of Peel and your employees wanted to access the office by transit (because they are green) where would you locate? You would locate at the place where your employees had access to the most transit options, so they could come from all directions as easily as possible. That is what a Mobility Hub is. Under the Metrolinx plan that hub would have been one strong hub around the Brampton GO station. Under the City's plan you get two half-assed hubs, one at the GO station and one at Steeles. Quite frankly, if I were the business owner in question I might have located in Downtown Brampton but now I would locate in Cooksville.
But, again, no one at the City level said "lets build two half-assed hubs"....everyone that night agreed the LRT should get to /terminate at the Brampton GO station....only the province was closed minded about how it got there.

That said, I think your hypothetical business was always going to locate at Cooksville...whether the LRT got to Steeles or Nelson.

I wish all business owners were more like you. But in sad reality, when was the last time an office building was built in Cooksville, Mississauga Centre, or any part of Peel region that is even remotely urban or attractive? Instead you have large companies like Canon who choose to build their head office at Steeles & Mississauga Rd, which is pretty much farmland at the moment. It's not even built it up to the sidewalk, instead it will most likely be surrounded by surface parking. Has Brampton and other municipalities learned anything from the mistakes made in the past? Apparently not.

Screen shot 2015-12-12 at 1.56.19 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-12-12 at 1.56.19 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-12-12 at 1.56.19 PM.png
    619 KB · Views: 788
....only the province was closed minded about how it got there.

As someone that live in Mississauga, if I'm honest the LRT to Brampton GO wouldn't have much to service most of that city. But the effect that the province and planners claimed it would have i.e. help stimulate downtown, would've been quite real. More so, the real benefits were regional, the LRT would let people west of Brampton commute to Mississauga for work, that's what the real lost opportunity is here. I'm glad Brampton lost the money now, and I hope the don't get a say in how to extend the Hurontario Line. They can build their own lines if the get money from the province or feds, otherwise they can stick to BRT that Metrolinx is planning for them. Hopefully future Brampton politicians will extend the line to Brampton Go.

Most of Canons parking will be underground actually, with a small surface lot to the south. It's the first of 3 planned office buildings on the site. There is supposed to be a lot of landscaping.

I wish all business owners were more like you. But in sad reality, when was the last time an office building was built in Cooksville, Mississauga Centre, or any part of Peel region that is even remotely urban or attractive? Instead you have large companies like Canon who choose to build their head office at Steeles & Mississauga Rd, which is pretty much farmland at the moment. It's not even built it up to the sidewalk, instead it will most likely be surrounded by surface parking. Has Brampton and other municipalities learned anything from the mistakes made in the past? Apparently not.

View attachment 61765

That's because right now anyone locating in Peel is still car-focused. Anyone transit-focused would locate in NYCC. The whole point of "The Big Move" is to create a regional network of connected rapid transit line that will allow people to get from any part of the GTHA to any other part of the GTHA by transit. If that vision is realized the mobility hubs will become the new economic drivers of the region. It's going to take twenty or thirty years of laying the ground-work before that vision can be realized though.

Yeah, we really want a housing and condo boom up there in the Greenbelt.

/s

- Paul

You misunderstand my point. To the Brampton-Caledon border is not in the greenbelt, it's the well-established suburban community of Snelgrove. So beyond Downtown Brampton, only 6 stops further north would be required up to Mayfield Rd. Maybe a seventh ultimate stop at the 410/Hurontario/Valleywood interchange with park 'n' ride facilities could be established to encourage modal commuting switch from the car to transit; but that's as far north as I think anyone would logically take it.

You misunderstand my point. To the Brampton-Caledon border is not in the greenbelt, it's the well-established suburban community of Snelgrove. So beyond Downtown Brampton, only 6 stops further north would be required up to Mayfield Rd. Maybe a seventh ultimate stop at the 410/Hurontario/Valleywood interchange with park 'n' ride facilities could be established to encourage modal commuting switch from the car to transit; but that's as far north as I think anyone would logically take it.

Now I get you.

I agree, an extension to the north of downtown makes sense - so riders don't need to tranfer to ride thru the hub, and to reduce bus traffic into the downtown.

What I'm less confident about is - how well it would serve the suburbs up around Snelgrove. They are fairly dense close in to Hurontario, so there would be good potential ridership for people living within walking distance of the LRT, but otherwise many people would have to transfer to a bus. At that point, the downtown termination is much less expensive. Once you assume they are doing that, the bus might as well bring them right downtown.

Maybe a mini-hub up at whatever point looks like a better terminus.

- Paul

Most of Canons parking will be underground actually, with a small surface lot to the south. It's the first of 3 planned office buildings on the site. There is supposed to be a lot of landscaping.

How come at a time when new urbanism is supposed to be the wave of the future in suburbia, we're doing the opposite and hiding everything behind extensive landscaping?

How come at a time when new urbanism is supposed to be the wave of the future in suburbia, we're doing the opposite and hiding everything behind extensive landscaping?
It is the suburban challenge that happens when concept/ideal meets reality.

So, in this case, was Brampton a suburban "bedroom community" which is struggling to find the balance between residential development and attracting employment supposed to say "sorry Cannon, your plan for your new head office does not meet our new urbanism goal so if that is the best you can do, please place your head office in another community and we will continue to struggle with our tax base and continue to have all our residents commute out of town for work. We would rather you not be here than be here under your vision. Loblaws and Air Canada, please follow Cannon through the exit door!"

;)

Instead, Brampton has done all it can, really, by recognizing this is going to be a growing business park area and extended their Zum bus system to connect this new area to the rest of the network and two GO train stations.

Back