Hurontario LRT | Metrolinx

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
To clarify, treating a stop sign as a yield (Idaho stop) does entail waiting your turn. It just means you don't have to come to a complete stop every time, when there is no other vehicle at the intersection when you arrive.

In Paris, France, there are no STOP signs. They use either YIELD signs or traffic signal lights.

Did you know that there are no stop signs on Paris roads?

Parisians aren’t renowned for their considerate driving, but it might just be because they don’t have the necessary street signage; Paris has no stop signs on any of its 6,100 streets. Why is this?

From link.

Whether its the hectic free-for-all that is the Peripherique or the utter chaos of the Etoile roundabout, driving in Paris is not for the most faint-hearted. Maybe it’s a natural side effect of the passion the city’s inhabitants put into their work, arts, culture and cuisine. But it might also have something to do with the fact there are no signs telling drivers to stop and check for oncoming traffic, an entirely normal sight in any other major city.

The city is perhaps the only major capital in the Western world that doesn’t have a single stop sign. Cars do not come to a full stop at any intersection without traffic lights. That wasn’t always the case.

Until a few years ago it had one, lonely sign at the exit of a construction facility driveway going onto the Quai Saint-Exupery in the 16th arrondissement. But in mysterious circumstances, that was removed some time between 2012 and 2014. The culprit (or hero) remains unclear, as does their motivation.

The explanation? Well, the car on the right always has the priority in Paris. But is a rule like that enough?

Does the fact that the only thing stopping collision after collision is a rule of thumb make Paris seem like a more dangerous place to drive? Not according to DEKRA, a German vehicle company which compiled road accident statistics from 2009 to 2012. According to its findings Paris is doing pretty well. Road fatalities are a third of London and a quarter of Rome, comparable cities. Good city planning trumps superior signage, it seems.

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
In Paris, France, there are no STOP signs. They use either YIELD signs or traffic signal lights.

Did you know that there are no stop signs on Paris roads?

Parisians aren’t renowned for their considerate driving, but it might just be because they don’t have the necessary street signage; Paris has no stop signs on any of its 6,100 streets. Why is this?

From link.
Well to be fair to Paris, that's in europe where most people drive around in a manual car, and stuff like stop signs are stuff manual drivers want to ideally avoid as much as possible.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Well to be fair to Paris, that's in europe where most people drive around in a manual car, and stuff like stop signs are stuff manual drivers want to ideally avoid as much as possible.
Same for cyclists. Coming to a full stop is something to be avoided as much as possible.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
I saw lots of STOP signs in France. It was actually a bit amusing, after being used to seeing ARRETE signs in Quebec. However, France is very fond of roundabouts. I can still hear google maps... "In 300m, at the roundabout, take the second exit to continue on Rue de la yadda yadda". You'd hear that every 60 seconds or so.

ProjectEnd

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Having always driven a standard, I'm a little puzzled by why stop signs would be an impediment.

DtTO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Having always driven a standard, I'm a little puzzled by why stop signs would be an impediment.
If you stop fully, it's not really an issue. Sure, shifting down to first is annoying, but that's about it. If you don't stop fully, it's actually more annoying, because you either shift down to first and have that shock, or shift to second and ride the clutch a bit. Because of that, the few people I know who drive manuals tend to blow stop signs at considerable speed. Personally, I'm more likely to FULLY stop in a manual than an automatic, because I shift down to first, and I don't want to deal with that shock when engaging the gear.

Last edited:

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
If you stop fully, it's not really an issue. Sure, shifting down to first is annoying, but that's about it. If you don't stop fully, it's actually more annoying, because you either shift down to first and have that shock, or shift to second and ride the clutch a bit. Because of that, the few people I know who drive manuals tend to blow stop signs at considerable speed. Personally, I'm more likely to FULLY stop in a manual than an automatic, because I shift down to first, and I don't want to deal with that shock when engaging the gear.
Offhand, I don't know what I do. I just do it. It's not like there's any thought involved ... only time that ever starts is when you need to gear down for some special reason (steep hill, or to have extra acceleration available when overtaking or something).

Personally, it's when driving an automatic that stops are annoying to me ... have to use the breaks so much more, rather than just gearing down. I've heard about people with automatics even having to replace break pads occasionally!

bangkok

Member Bio
Reaction score
Getting back on track, pardon the pun:

DJI_0638.JPG
DJI_0643.JPG

DJI_0641.JPG

SaugeenJunction

Member Bio
Reaction score
This item from the report is unexpected. I thought the line was going to be very “on brand Metrolinx style”.

Branding (Name and Visual Identity Development, Marketing and Launch Events)
In conjunction with the City of Brampton, the HuLRT Project Office retained the creative agency, Barrett and Welsh, to support the cities with a brand name and visual identity development, as well as marketing and launch events support ahead of the opening the LRT system in 2024. As part of the Project Agreement, items such as marketing were assigned to the cities.
Currently, the project team is wrapping up its research phase of the project that will help inform the development of a name of the system, as well as its visual identity such as logo and line number. Development of these items will take place through the summer, and updates will be provided during the process, prior to delivery to Metrolinx in the fall.