Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

By that standard, neither does Toronto. I have never seen a more embarrassing debacle anywhere than the way our council handled transit in Scarborough.
I don't know. Toronto flip-flopped between two viable plans. Brampton rejected a fully funded plan in favour of nothing but a pointless NIMBY-induced pipe-dream.

Toronto is the preeminent city in the country and an integral part of the nation's economy, any level of government acting with disregard for Toronto does so to their own peril. Brampton on the other hand? Brampton should be cognizant of their relevance, or lack-there-of, to provincial or federal politicians, when pursuing the best interests of their citizens and deciding on rejecting provincial/federal $$$.

I don't know. Toronto flip-flopped between two viable plans. Brampton rejected a fully funded plan in favour of nothing but a pointless NIMBY-induced pipe-dream.
Toronto is the preeminent city in the country and an integral part of the nation's economy, any level of government acting with impunity towards Toronto does so to their own peril. Brampton on the other hand? Brampton should be cognizant of their relevance, or lack-there-of, to provincial or federal politicians.

And we rejected both the fully funded SRT replacement and Sheppard LRT. And for what? So that some shitty Liberal MPs could win a by-election? Because Karen Stintz thought she'd have a shot at becoming mayor by being a Rob Ford copy-cat? If there's anything worse than Nimbyism, it's self-serving career politicians that are willing to screw up everything for their own self interest. So anyone who says that Brampton "does not deserve" LRT for what they did yet don't have the same to say about Toronto, is only doing so out of bias because they're not from Brampton, and therefore are not affected/interested by what goes on over there. That was my point.

Toronto is the preeminent city in the country and an integral part of the nation's economy, any level of government acting with disregard for Toronto does so to their own peril. Brampton on the other hand? Brampton should be cognizant of their relevance, or lack-there-of, to provincial or federal politicians, when pursuing the best interests of their citizens and deciding on rejecting provincial/federal $$$.

If there's going to be a "Brampton rule", then what about Hamilton Council and how it dragged its feet at times on the Hamilton LRT after it got the same offer at the same time Brampton did in May 2015? Or the City of Ottawa? It also rejected an LRT plan. It's a slippery slope. I find it also to be a pretty boring debate to go back into the past and start trying to figure out who to assign blame to.

As you'll see from the timeline above, the decision on tunnel vs surface ($1.7B vs $400 million) will be recommended by staff in the first quarter of 2021. Depending on what Council goes with for its ask to the province/feds, that's certainly a legitimate debate point in the future. So I wouldn't want to give the impression that any municipality should be given an automatic bank cheque.

The thing is, Hurontario LRT extension is not on Metrolinx's radar anymore, and not in any of their official documents. Meaning it has slipped to 2040 and beyond. Given this fact, Provincial money should only be allocated to this project beyond 2040.

Brampton could just move their downtown to Steeles. They already have a bus terminal there, and it's not like anyone will notice.
Not only that, but the mall lands are to be redeveloped for density. If you remove the other 3 corners of plazas and replace them with good developments, there is the new downtown Brampton.

The first coat of asphalt has been place where the medium was and waiting top coat.

City Centre Station area Zone 21
49969330397_0d1e293ef5_b.jpg

49969330272_cc8ee05cc5_b.jpg

49968552663_9df338ae8d_b.jpg

49969063806_f17ea18297_b.jpg

49969063516_d6b03673b2_b.jpg

49969328907_2942dcefcd_b.jpg

The thing is, Hurontario LRT extension is not on Metrolinx's radar anymore, and not in any of their official documents. Meaning it has slipped to 2040 and beyond. Given this fact, Provincial money should only be allocated to this project beyond 2040.

It's shown in the 2041 RTP and in the Advancing Transit Priorities February 2020 document. I agree it may not be an immediate priority, but it's also not completely out of their radar.

Metrolinx builds what politicians tell it to. If Queen’s Park decided there was merit to build the extension, it could be back on Metrolinx’s radar tomorrow. The RTP is more of a vague guide rather than what will actually get built.

What about the next government? Could Brampton ask the feds for funding?
They could ask the province or federal government for funding, it doesn't change that the underground route would be even worse value for money than the Scarborough Subway
They simply don't deserve the funding anymore. They had their chance and they blew it.
Project should be based on the merits of the project, and not punishing cities.
This link returns an error for me
Brampton could just move their downtown to Steeles. They already have a bus terminal there, and it's not like anyone will notice.
Brampton's 20 year vision does include that
1591312860569.png

^ Apologies looks like the tweet was deleted. It was from the construction company hired to remove the medians.

They could ask the province or federal government for funding, it doesn't change that the underground route would be even worse value for money than the Scarborough Subway.

Would be interesting to see that in chart form. Maybe when the City publishing the ridership data as part of the study process.

If brampton did move their downtown to Steeles that would be amazing. It already looks like it can be one with the mall, Sheridan college, brampton gateway and the development south of it on Hurontario before you get to the 407. If they built around a massive infrastructure around it, we could be looking at another city center

If brampton did move their downtown to Steeles that would be amazing. It already looks like it can be one with the mall, Sheridan college, brampton gateway and the development south of it on Hurontario before you get to the 407. If they built around a massive infrastructure around it, we could be looking at another city center
They could even put in bus-only lanes on Steeles from Bramalea GO to... let's say Chinguacousy/Mavis. Plenty of space in the median, and it could be upgraded to LRT in the future. Wink wink.

Upcoming Metrolinx Hurontario LRT virtual open house.

1591719535198.png

Back