Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming home tonight, I noticed pylons from Burnhamthrope to Central Pkwy on top of the medium

Hopefully this project won’t end up in the same position as the crosstown. Hurontario and Finch are 2 of many favorite roads of mine and i just don’t wanna see a huge, long construction site for miles

Hopefully this project won’t end up in the same position as the crosstown. Hurontario and Finch are 2 of many favorite roads of mine and i just don’t wanna see a huge, long construction site for miles
You will

I do remember that back when the TTC was going to be responsible for construction of the LRT lines, their plan was to reduce disruption by awarding construction contracts for a section of the line at a time, and having work completed in each section from start to finish over a period of a few months before moving on to the next.

Now with these big Metrolinx P3's, it's one big construction project, that stretches work out along the whole line for the entire project period.

I do remember that back when the TTC was going to be responsible for construction of the LRT lines, their plan was to reduce disruption by awarding construction contracts for a section of the line at a time, and having work completed in each section from start to finish over a period of a few months before moving on to the next.

Now with these big Metrolinx P3's, it's one big construction project, that stretches work out along the whole line for the entire project period.

Even worse, these P3s are effectively accountable to nobody, regarding their disruptions to public life, as Metrolinx obviously doesn’t care to hold their feet to the fire. Queen’s Park is so far removed from “on the street” issues, that they have no interest in minimizing disruption to residents and businesses in their transit construction and operations. That stuff is typically the concern of City Councillors.

Businesses will die as SNC-Lavalin pads their profit margins

Which is a great thing they did that. Could you imagine if they went section by section awarding contracts; they could have one section significantly delayed which snowball and result in other contracts pending in the pipeline being deferred indefinitely until the preceding section was complete. Then not to mention the risk of some bonehead being elected who could scrap any one section of the line at their will since the upcoming contact wasnt officially signed and awarded.

It would have been an unmitigated disaster.

I can't imagine that would have been the case, its still the same amount of work, and each contract would not have had to be with the same company, the P3 adds two years worth of lead time to the procurement process before work can begin, plenty of time for some bonehead to cancel everything.

I was working along Eglinton East for a while and saw just how drawn out the construction was, progress at each location was almost glacial, for work that is barely complex, with needless disruption going on for far to long.

Which is a great thing they did that. Could you imagine if they went section by section awarding contracts; they could have one section significantly delayed which snowball and result in other contracts pending in the pipeline being deferred indefinitely until the preceding section was complete. Then not to mention the risk of some bonehead being elected who could scrap any one section of the line at their will since the upcoming contact wasnt officially signed and awarded.

Really interesting argument to make when the Crosstown is being delivered three or four years late and hundreds of millions of dollars over budget.

I can't imagine that would have been the case, its still the same amount of work, and each contract would not have had to be with the same company, the P3 adds two years worth of lead time to the procurement process before work can begin, plenty of time for some bonehead to cancel everything.

I was working along Eglinton East for a while and saw just how drawn out the construction was, progress at each location was almost glacial, for work that is barely complex, with needless disruption going on for far to long.
The work done along Eglinton East was moving at a pathetically slow pace, that's something we can agree on. However if we had the case of contracts being broken down and separated, who's to say that another company wouldnt have significantly mismanaged any given portion of the project (ie: a la Bondfield).

Really interesting argument to make when the Crosstown is being delivered three or four years late and hundreds of millions of dollars over budget.
Although this is true, it could have been even worse. I'll make the same argument I did above; do you remember Bondfield? You know, the company the bungled multiple GO and TTC projects. Who knows if we wouldve seen yet another case of that exact same non-sense with the Crosstown project had there been multiple companies and contracts associated.

The work done along Eglinton East was moving at a pathetically slow pace, that's something we can agree on. However if we had the case of contracts being broken down and separated, who's to say that another company wouldnt have significantly mismanaged any given portion of the project (ie: a la Bondfield).

Although this is true, it could have been even worse. I'll make the same argument I did above; do you remember Bondfield? You know, the company the bungled multiple GO and TTC projects. Who knows if we wouldve seen yet another case of that exact same non-sense with the Crosstown project had there been multiple companies and contracts associated.

I'm think that that if a contractor is only working on a block or two at a time, they would not be doing things like digging open a utilities trench in the street and leaving it open for three months, The work is not complex, it's just rebuilding the street with streetcar tracks down the middle, this is work that the City and the TTC have plenty of experience in. Work on the surface section of Eglinton is taking a long time because the work is stretched out along the whole line at once, not concentrated on a block or two.

I'm think that that if a contractor is only working on a block or two at a time, they would not be doing things like digging open a utilities trench in the street and leaving it open for three months, The work is not complex, it's just rebuilding the street with streetcar tracks down the middle, this is work that the City and the TTC have plenty of experience in. Work on the surface section of Eglinton is taking a long time because the work is stretched out along the whole line at once, not concentrated on a block or two.
You say the work of building streetcar tracks is not complex and the TTC has plenty of experience in it, but yet the TTC had quite a bit of issues rebuilding the Queensway ROW. Yes there were issues with the water table around that area, but even with that being true they have still failed to address issues that cropped up just a few weeks after tracks were installed and rebuilt, resulting in ridiculous slow orders that are still in place 2 years after being completed.

So again even if the TTC was a "contractor" in this case, there's no guarantee we wouldnt run into construction delays or defects to that matter.

You say the work of building streetcar tracks is not complex and the TTC has plenty of experience in it, but yet the TTC had quite a bit of issues rebuilding the Queensway ROW. Yes there were issues with the water table around that area, but even with that being true they have still failed to address issues that cropped up just a few weeks after tracks were installed and rebuilt, resulting in ridiculous slow orders that are still in place 2 years after being completed.

So again even if the TTC was a "contractor" in this case, there's no guarantee we wouldnt run into construction delays or defects to that matter.

It's still better to have the work concentrated to a stretch at a time, rather than spreading it out along the whole route, you're comparing the chance of delays due to unusual conditions vs. everything delayed and disruptions along the whole route because they spread the work out along the whole line for the entire project period.

And we are stuck with one general contractor, if the line were to get split up into different contracts then the companies who screw up would not get subsequent work.

Just shot Hurontario from Elm Drive to Hillcrest.

The removal of the medium north of Fairview was about to get underway and have be gone going by it later on. Excepted for the standard remaining medium at intersection, all the medium had been removed up to CP Bridge, but still need grading and 2 coats of asphalt.

Couple of small area remain at John St and up to Hillcrest. From Hillcrest to Park St, there is no centre medium except at intersections.

I expect the medium up to Burnhamthrope will be removed by the weekend. No clue as what to happen to the trees, but except them to be cut down.

Pylons on the medium north of Burnhamthrope.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back