Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caledon Mayor Allan Thompson has specifically requested a monorail https://www.caledonenterprise.com/n...nsit-options-for-caledon-outlined-at-council/
A MONORAIL??

Caledon Mayor Allan Thompson can specifically request whatever the hell he wants, it doesn't make it viable by any metric. Caledon just doesn't have the population or economy for any higher-order transit that's not an extension of Brampton or Vaughan's systems.

There's really no need for anything more than buses past Sandalwood Parkway (if Brampton does some major zoning changes) or the GO station (if they don't), unless the LRT takes over the Orangeville rail line. Any more than that is throwing money at a system that won't benefit anyone besides a small number of commuters. Hurontario will be more than a commuter line.

A MONORAIL??

Caledon Mayor Allan Thompson can specifically request whatever the hell he wants, it doesn't make it viable by any metric. Caledon just doesn't have the population or economy for any higher-order transit that's not an extension of Brampton or Vaughan's systems.

There's really no need for anything more than buses past Sandalwood Parkway (if Brampton does some major zoning changes) or the GO station (if they don't), unless the LRT takes over the Orangeville rail line. Any more than that is throwing money at a system that won't benefit anyone besides a small number of commuters. Hurontario will be more than a commuter line.
But...
there's nothing on earth like a genuine, bona fide, electrified, six-car monorail!

If the radial railway could run from below St. Clair Avenue up to Lake Simcoe back in 1912, why not run a light rail line up to Collingwood?

TYRR_route_map.jpg

From link.

Having a rail connection to Collingwood/Blue Mountain wouldn't be the worst idea. The most realistic option for connecting it, however, would probably be an extension of the Barrie GO line. A rail corridor between the two already exists and could easily be converted.

The absolute furthest I ever see the Hurontario LRT going is to the end of the 410.

Patrick Brown wants the Main Street LRT extension to be underground, which is basically a subway. I am sure the TRCA loves the idea of a tunnel with an entrance in a floodplain.

And I'm sure the TRCA will publicly comment on any LRT proposal to officially confirm their position and provide any mitigation requirements, just like they did for the 2014 EPR produced out of the TPAP. That's how the system works. They also have the opportunity to send correspondence to Council.

We call it Hurontario around here, and Snelgrove is a part of Brampton, not a town. :)
It was historically Highway 10, and was only recently changed removed from the Highway System in 1998. It is also useful to refer to the whole length in Brampton because it changes names multiple times.

Snelgrove is a historic community in Brampton, and is useful to refer to that awkward section where Brampton bulges north. Thornhill and Malton aren't municipalities either, yet people still talk about them like they are real things.

(Do you know who William Perkins Bull was?)
And I'm sure the TRCA will publicly comment on any LRT proposal to officially confirm their position and provide any mitigation requirements, just like they did for the 2014 EPR produced out of the TPAP. That's how the system works. They also have the opportunity to send correspondence to Council.
The Brampton LRT extension underground proposal is not far enough along for the TRCA to bother to comment. They haven't even held the first statutory meeting yet.

Come April 27, riders on 19 are in for a rough ride when it becomes route 2 & 17 that requires a change of buses at Sq One.

Good thing they are bring back 103 that week with the normal service before been cancel due to COVID-19.

Lets see how well it stands up once the real construction starts. This is opposite as to having more service on the road as stated last year.

Trying to get riders use to changing at Sq One as it will be the same once the LRT starts running.

As for 25 service, it only taken 15 years from when I first proposed/recommend it.

We’ve changed our local service along the Hurontario corridor to minimize impacts to travel and deliver reliable service during Hurontario Light Rail Transit construction (HuLRT).
HuLRT construction began in March 2020 and will temporarily reduce lanes on parts of Hurontario Street during the construction phase. Metrolinx is planning for the service to open in Fall 2024.
There are three major changes starting on April 27, 2020:
  1. Route 19 Hurontario will be split into two new routes: Route 17 Hurontario and Route 2 Hurontario
  2. Route 19 Variants (19A, 19B and 19C) will be cancelled
  3. Route 25 Traders Loop will be revised to provide service to portions of the former Routes 19A and 19B
Note: Route 103 Hurontario Express will continue to travel on Hurontario Street between Brampton Gateway Terminal and Port Credit GO Station. It does not stop at City Centre Transit Terminal. Service reductions are in effect on this and other routes until further notice. This route will be making all local stops along Hurontario due to COVID-19 changes to service.
New local routes replacing route 19 Hurontario
Route 19 Hurontario will be split into two new routes: Route 17 Hurontario and Route 2 Hurontario.
Route 17 Hurontario (Monday to Sunday)
The new Route 17 will travel between the highway 407 Park and Ride and City Centre Transit Terminal at Square One.
Route 2 Hurontario (Monday to Sunday)
The new Route 2 will travel between City Centre Transit Terminal at Square One and Port Credit GO Station.

Schedules for the new Hurontario local Routes 2 and 17:
Weekday Service 24-hours Monday to Friday:
  • 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. arriving approximately every 10 minutes
  • 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. (overnight): arriving approximately every 15-20 minutes.
Saturday Service:
  • 5:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. arriving approximately every 15-20 minutes
  • 11:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. arriving approximately every 30 minutes
Sunday Service:
  • 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. arriving approximately every 15-20 minutes
  • 11:00 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. arriving approximately every 30 minutes
Connections at City Centre Transit Terminal
With Route 19 splitting into two new routes, you may need to change buses at City Centre Transit Terminal to continue your journey along Hurontario.
The new routes are both located at platform E of the City Centre Transit Terminal. Buses are scheduled to minimize transfer wait times between Route 2 Hurontario and Route 17 Hurontario. View our City Centre Terminal Map to find the Platform E location.
These routes will be interlined between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m., so you won’t need to transfer when your route ends at the City Centre Transit Terminal; you can stay on the same bus to continue your journey.
Route 19 variants 19A, 19B and 19C are cancelled
Route 25 Traders Loop will be revised to provide service to portions of the former Routes 19A and 19B.
Route 19C alternative route options to Heartland Town Centre: Route 61 Mavis or Route 66 McLaughlin, with transfers available on Britannia Road to Route 39 Britannia.

Connecting with Route 25 Traders Loop from Route 17 Hurontario
Route 25 Traders Loop will be revised to provide service to portions of the former Routes 19A and 19B
  • Travelling west of Hurontario (former Route 19B): transfer at Matheson Boulevard and Hurontario Street
  • Travelling east of Hurontario (former Route 19A): transfer at Watline Avenue/Milverton Drive and Hurontario Street
Travelling to Trillium Hospital
Alternate routes for customers who took routes 19A and 19B:
Please note: Customers may also take Route 2 Hurontario destined to Trillium Hospital and alight at Hurontario Street and Queensway E (located approximately 350 metres from the hospital entrance). View our Trillium Health Centre Terminal Map for stop locations.
Alternate routes options
These routes service corridors adjacent to Hurontario Street, and will provide connections for customers traveling north or south of the City or into Brampton:
  • Route 53 Kennedy travels along Kennedy Road and Central Parkway East, servicing the Highway 407 Park and Ride and Central Parkway Transitway Station.
  • Route 66 McLaughlin travels along McLaughlin Road between City Centre Transit Terminal and Sheridan College in Brampton
Use our trip planner for full trip details.

It still bugs me that Metrolinx split the line in Downtown Mississauga. I understand they canceled the loop in order to save money but I prefer the loop around the city centre even if meant slower travel across the line.

Come April 27, riders on 19 are in for a rough ride when it becomes route 2 & 17 that requires a change of buses at Sq One.

Good thing they are bring back 103 that week with the normal service before been cancel due to COVID-19.

Lets see how well it stands up once the real construction starts. This is opposite as to having more service on the road as stated last year.

Trying to get riders use to changing at Sq One as it will be the same once the LRT starts running.
The current proposal for the LRT does not involve splitting the service at City Centre, it will be a through service at all times. Splitting the service at City Centre was only proposed when the downtown loop was still a part of the project and Metrolinx actually cited one of the benefits of removing the loop was eliminating the need to transfer.

With the 19 being split into the 2 and 17 there is considerable more layover time in additional to the routes being shorter helping to minimize impact of delays. It will also allow more flexibility to adjust as construction progresses.
It still bugs me that Metrolinx split the line in Downtown Mississauga. I understand they canceled the loop in order to save money but I prefer the loop around the city centre even if meant slower travel across the line.
Again, the split service design was only proposed when the downtown loop was still a part of the LRT. With the loop removed, there will be through service at all times, via City Centre.
As for 25 service, it only taken 15 years from when I first proposed/recommend it.
I'd like to clarify something, as I've seen you reference your 'recommendations', 'plan', 'report', or whatever you wish to call it many times over the years. Is the report you refer to the "Mississauga Transit Preliminary Report" prepared by David Fisher/TPR Consulting Inc. and dated April 2003?

Last edited:
The current proposal for the LRT does not involve splitting the service at City Centre, it will be a through service at all times. Splitting the service at City Centre was only proposed when the downtown loop was still a part of the project and Metrolinx actually cited one of the benefits of removing the loop was eliminating the need to transfer.

With the 19 being split into the 2 and 17 there is considerable more layover time in additional to the routes being shorter helping to minimize impact of delays. It will also allow more flexibility to adjust as construction progresses.

Again, the split service design was only proposed when the downtown loop was still a part of the LRT. With the loop removed, there will be through service at all times, via City Centre.

I'd like to clarify something, as I've seen you reference your 'recommendations', 'plan', 'report', or whatever you wish to call it many times over the years. Is the report you refer to the "Mississauga Transit Preliminary Report" prepared by David Fisher/TPR Consulting Inc. and dated April 2003?
My recommendation is around 2005 and a later date for 25. It pack in a box somewhere like the CD and on a dead HD.

I know for a fact at this time, the LRT will be the same as 2 & 17 with different headway and that a big issue. That can change in the coming years and time will tell.

Anyone including me will be force to spend an extra 15-20 minutes going to Sq One when we don't need to go there in the first place for buses and 10-20 for LRT. Anyone who lives north of Sq One and wants to go to the Cooksville GO Station will drive than take the LRT with this switching to LRT and defeats the need for an LRT in the first place.

Using the 19 today, you are spending an extra 15 minute travel time getting to either side of Sq One on a good day.

Someone in planning and service should had spent time ridding TTC 34 to see how it fair last year for schedule as it was more a miss than a hit from my few trips on it. It wasn't fun driving it. Watch out for those pot holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back