Hurontario LRT | Metrolinx

doady

Member Bio
Reaction score
It isn't any different from County Court and Ray Lawson. But there will no connecting bus routes unlike County Court.

There is a very high density all along Hurontario between 403 and Bristol, but only one stop to serve them all. It is a bit unusual. The 19 will have to remain in service for them (and just for them) if there is no LRT station.

450m is pretty typical stop spacing for the Bloor-Danforth line, isn't it? As more and more towers get built, they will need to consider a Ceremonial/Nahini station as well.

Even if everyone in all these dozens of condo and office buildings were willing to walk all the way to Eglinton station, there might not be enough room for them.

Last edited:

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
It’s a 450 m walk from Hurontario/Kingsbridge to Hurontario/Eglinton. Come on now. We can’t have stations this closely spaced.
Really this is the failing of the city planning. The distance between crosswalks and road width is actually LAUGHABLE.

Hopkins123

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is a private shuttle bus for the community to the stop not feasible?
There wouldn't even be any problem if the City planners would just retain a transit service on Kingsbridge Garden/Elia but apparently they're cancelling the 34 and 7 routes.

pstogios

Member Bio
Reaction score
Really this is the failing of the city planning. The distance between crosswalks and road width is actually LAUGHABLE.
The signalized intersection of Hurontario and the Mississauga Marketplace plaza is only 250 m from Kingsbridge Garden Circle and only 200 m from Eglinton. This stretch of Hurontario is not lacking for crosswalks.

KevinT

Member Bio
Reaction score
Nothing really new in this article covering the recent townhall those following this thread wouldn't already be aware of.

The transformer concerns are nutty. Field strength drops with the square of the distance so you're more irradiated by the wires in the walls of your home than the transformer on the next lot. Besides that, the magnetic fields are looped in the transformer core so don't propagate outwards, and the electric field is contained by the metal walls of the transformer can. Nice to read that Verster is standing his ground.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Question about the road traffic lanes AFTER the LRT opens. Would the traffic lanes be narrowed to match the new lower speed limits, as part of the pedestrian "Vision Zero"? Or will they be kept wide, for the benefit of speeders doing 100+ km/h?

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
@W. K. Lis Based on what I know and could be wrong, traffic lanes width will remain as is.

I will say to this group like I have said to Metrolinx from day one as well council that 500 m stop spacing is great if you live on Hurontario in the first place, but a bitch for those who come from the side street that has no bus service or require long walking distance.

Hillcrest stop has a business case for a stop there based on what will happen to all the land around that intersection. Also, Routes 7 and 34 are to be remove in 2020 at this time. Eglinton intersection will see 50% less riders than Hillcrest, but it will see more riders due to a grid bus line.

Like I have challenge both Council and Metrolinx numbers time, I challenge everyone to draw a line of 250 m on either side of the centre of Hurontario and look at the road system for that area to see how long it will take a healthy rider to walk to a stop as well the distance. My new stop is an extra 3 minute walk in good weather. Now, how long will it take a non healthy rider as well people with small kids to do a walk to a stop??

Regardless if limit 19 service remains on Hurontario, it will see 15-20 minutes headway and force riders to transfer at an LRT station to get where they want to go faster than a bus or walk that extra distance. Travel time will increase to "ALL" riders from side streets with current stop locations.

You only got 5 major grid road connecting to the LRT line 7 days a week come 2020.

Last edited:

doady

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can look around Elia/Kingsbridge and say there is not enough there to warrant an LRT stop. If it doesn't deserve a stop then County Court doesn't either.

1km stop spacing is for the low-density industrial parts. High density portions should be around 500m. To give Kingsbridge/Elia the same treatment as Skyway/Superior makes no sense. You can see TTC subway has variable stop spacing based on density as well, also as low as 500m.

You can see Metrolinx ignoring density also with the Queensway and North Service stations. These stations should be at Paisley and Sherobee instead. There are a huge numbers of apartments along Hurontario south of Dundas but Metrolinx seems intent on building a line that serves as few of these buildings and the people living within them as possible. Gee, I wonder why...

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can look around Elia/Kingsbridge and say there is not enough there to warrant an LRT stop. If it doesn't deserve a stop then County Court doesn't either.

1km stop spacing is for the low-density industrial parts. High density portions should be around 500m. To give Kingsbridge/Elia the same treatment as Skyway/Superior makes no sense. You can see TTC subway has variable stop spacing based on density as well, also as low as 500m.

You can see Metrolinx ignoring density also with the Queensway and North Service stations. These stations should be at Paisley and Sherobee instead. There are a huge numbers of apartments along Hurontario south of Dundas but Metrolinx seems intent on building a line that serves as few of these buildings and the people living within them as possible. Gee, I wonder why...
Gee, I wonder why...

Meaning...

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
I agree with the chatter that Kingsbridge should have an LRT stop. After all, if Metrolinx idiotically decided that Ionview (between Birchmount and Kennedy), and Hakimi/Lebovic (between Birchmount and Warden) in Toronto with the Crosstown should have stops, I dont see why Kingsbridge in Mississauga doesnt warrant one.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
I agree with the chatter that Kingsbridge should have an LRT stop. After all, if Metrolinx idiotically decided that Ionview (between Birchmount and Kennedy), and Hakimi/Lebovic (between Birchmount and Warden) in Toronto with the Crosstown should have stops, I dont see why Kingsbridge in Mississauga doesnt warrant one.
Crosstown inherits the Transit City design done by the TTC beforehand which had stops there as no nearby bus service would serve those intersection. Miway would likely retain bus service on Kingsbridge/Elia, the area would still have some sort of bus service without a stop. Although ML has the final say, I would think the city and local community didn't push for it. I also don't think a stop at Ionview and Hakimi/Lebovic would add that much time to the line as trains would have to slow down and possibly wait while approaching the intersection. Unless they remove the traffic light and block off the medium, there won't be any major time savings.

Since the whole point of these LRT lines is to target local travels, Ionview, Hakimi/Lebovic and Kingsbridge should all deserve stops as they are located at signalized intersections and ~500m apart. The Lake Shore streetcar would be overkill with stops every 200m in midblock. That would be slowing down service for no good reason.

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
Theres basically two types of LRT system in terms of service, a streetcar-like local all stops service, like ION, Finch, and the metro-like RT of the O-Train, Crosstown (underground)

Its clear that this Hurontario system, with its streetrunning and small stations, is the former.

Its meant to serve a lot of areas, not be an express service.

So I think a stop at Kingsbridge is acceptable within the model of the Hurontario system.

KevinT

Member Bio
Reaction score
Theres basically two types of LRT system in terms of service, a streetcar-like local all stops service, like ION, ...
Now that's just funny. If you treat every pair of ION stops in the directional sections as a single stop then there are 16 stops for a 19 km route, so over 1 km apart on average. If that's a "local all stops service" streetcar then what's your description of an express?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_rapid_transit#/media/File:ION_LRT_map.svg

Last edited:

doady

Member Bio
Reaction score
Light rail and subway/metro have similar stop spacing. Usually 500m to 1km. 500m spacing is common for TTC subway, for New York City. Of course NYC subway has express too but the system is mainly local, the stops are close together. And they have to be given the high density otherwise the stations would be too crowded. Elia/Kingsbridge should get the same treatment.

ION has some stops spaced ~500m apart too. Non-local or "Express" is stops spaced around 2km or more, usually skipping 2 or 3 local stops. That's closer to commuter rail.