Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Media Release

Statement from the City of Brampton on Metrolinx Hurontario LRT Procurement Announcement
Monday, Aug 26 2019
BRAMPTON, ON (August 26, 2019) – In a recent announcement by Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx, Mobilinx has been selected as the preferred proponent to design, build, finance, operate and maintain the Hurontario Light Rail Transit (HuLRT).

The City of Brampton has been working with Metrolinx and the City of Mississauga on the implementation of the Hurontario LRT from Port Credit GO to Steeles Avenue, near the Brampton Gateway Terminal. The Hurontario LRT will be an integral part of the regional transportation network and will provide residents and businesses in Brampton and the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area with fast, reliable, convenient and integrated transit.

This is exciting news for the first phase of LRT, while staff continue to work on the second phase to bring LRT on Main Street to the Downtown Brampton GO station. Earlier this year, Metrolinx announced changes to the project and included provisions in the amended contract to adapt to future changes, including a potential extension into Brampton. The changes allowed for a future LRT extension north of Steeles Avenue to the Brampton GO station, which will be subject to further study and approvals.

The Hurontario LRT project is a key step in the City’s journey to Brampton 2040 Vision, where we are committed to making Brampton a Green City, as per the 2018-2022 Term of Council Priorities, by equalizing all forms of transportation.

“Efficient transit is one of the City’s key priorities as defined by our residents. We are happy to see this project move ahead and we continue to explore all the possibilities for Phase 2 that will bring a tunnelled LRT to Downtown Brampton GO.”
-Mayor Patrick Brown

-30-

Tunnelled, because Brampton "deserves" a subway, while surface LRT is good enough for Mississauga.

Tunnelled, because Brampton "deserves" a subway, while surface LRT is good enough for Mississauga.

Looking at downtown Brampton, and what a mickie mouse hicksville of a place it is, its such a complete joke that tunneling is even being proposed.

Looking at downtown Brampton, and what a mickie mouse hicksville of a place it is, its such a complete joke that tunneling is even being proposed.

Because of NIMBYs in Brampton are worried light rail vehicles would not mix well with Brampton's historic downtown. (Brampton and historic don't really show up in my tour book.)
8635219_f520.jpg

From link.

Because of NIMBYs in Brampton are worried light rail vehicles would not mix well with Brampton's historic downtown. (Brampton and historic don't really show up in my tour book.)
8635219_f520.jpg

From link.
They should talk to towns and cities that run Freight Trains down the centre street. We watched EMU's trains run down streets in Michigan City that stop to pickup riders on them. Its a 4 lane road with parking in the curb lane.

Too many place in Europe where trams run by buildings 2-3 times older than the ones in Brampton. Hell we saw a number of small downtown's with a better one than Brampton one this month on our trip.

That corridor looks wider than Main Street in Downtown Brampton.

I never had a problem with original proposed loop in Brampton. Maybe Metrolinx wanted to make it easier to extend LRT north of downtown, but the density and ridership along Main Street never warranted LRT anyways (let alone underground LRT). The Main Street corridor is a joke. LRT along Main is simply to connect to Downtown Brampton and the GO train. So I think Metrolinx are the ones ultimately to blame this stupidity for prioritizing serving Main Street and changing it to a more disruptive two-way configuration.

But then again Brampton is a strange place, even by 905 standards. Maybe there would be controversy no matter what Metrolinx did.

I'm fairly certain that the tunnel proposal has more to do with the roadway width through downtown Brampton than heritage designation. It's not like Hurontario (Main) is 6 lanes across like it is though most of Mississauga.

I never had a problem with original proposed loop in Brampton. Maybe Metrolinx wanted to make it easier to extend LRT north of downtown, but the density and ridership along Main Street never warranted LRT anyways (let alone underground LRT). The Main Street corridor is a joke. LRT along Main is simply to connect to Downtown Brampton and the GO train. So I think Metrolinx are the ones ultimately to blame this stupidity for prioritizing serving Main Street and changing it to a more disruptive two-way configuration.

But then again Brampton is a strange place, even by 905 standards. Maybe there would be controversy no matter what Metrolinx did.

The history is a little more complex than that. My understanding is that Brampton staff expressed concerns with the loop because of where the stations would be located and were particularly concerned with the entrance to the City Hall parking garage. I think they were also concerned with the Wellington/George corner. Also, it would require a new grade separation under the CN Halton Sub. They may have also said it could make extending the line further north more complicated. I'm going by memory here. I can post later the pro/con chart from a staff report for what it said about the loop.

Either way, it's being studied again so we'll see if there are new ways to mitigate this for the loop option.

In case anyone here is new and hasn't seen what the loop looked like back in 2014/2015 see here:

I guess they would never redevelop Brampton's Main Street (or within a couple of blocks) with mid-rise or high-rise buildings (keeping the "historic" facades), which may increase the ridership.

I guess they would never redevelop Brampton's Main Street (or within a couple of blocks) with mid-rise or high-rise buildings (keeping the "historic" facades), which may increase the ridership.

Downtown Brampton is a very small place, smaller than even Port Credit. From Wellington to Church is only around 500m. There are some opportunities there, but how much redevelopment can you expect? The Shopper's World area probably has more potential.

Connecting to the LRT to the GO train is probably the most important thing. Brampton can do as much or little as they want with their so-called "downtown". Their so-called "Main Street" matters even less. That's why Metrolinx should just forget about any potential extension north of the GO station just build a loop. Light rail one-way on the street is already too much, a subway tunnel would just be ridiculous.

And I know Metrolinx cares about LRT north of downtown. You can also see Dundas from Kipling all the way into Burlington they are obsessed with one line, one mode. Dundas east of Hurontario should be LRT or subway, but Metrolinx instead decided on a 37km-long on-street BRT.

And I know Metrolinx cares about LRT north of downtown. You can also see Dundas from Kipling all the way into Burlington they are obsessed with one line, one mode. Dundas east of Hurontario should be LRT or subway, but Metrolinx instead decided on a 37km-long on-street BRT.

Because the public is utterly obsessed with it. See the outcry on Sheppard, the disaster that is the SRT replacement and even the complaints around both Ottawa and Waterloo's phase 1. This is an INHERENTLY political process, and for better or worse the public at large do not accept linear transfers within a corridor. Even where it actually means a net increase in transfers, the aesthetics of the thing just aren't accepted. Metrolinx recognizing such is one less losing fight for them.

Last edited:
I don't see it as a huge problem if they build a 2-km tunnel under Main St. Locals are happier, trip to the GO station from the south is a bit faster, northern extension is easier.

Cost? Well, transit advocates shouldn't always aim at the cheapest option that can work, if they want the cause to be popular with the broader public.

I don't see it as a huge problem if they build a 2-km tunnel under Main St. Locals are happier, trip to the GO station from the south is a bit faster, northern extension is easier.

Cost? Well, transit advocates shouldn't always aim at the cheapest option that can work, if they want the cause to be popular with the broader public.
Except the broader public doesn't want to pay more taxes for these upgrades.

Taxes are going to go up no matter what we do or do not do!

This illusion... delusion?, that somehow if we cut corners on rapid transit expansion, we can save a couple of cents on the dollar on our tax bills is both harmful and detrimental to the long term growth and development of the region as a whole.

True, it is always hard to get the taxpayer fund transit. However, the dependence between the cost of a new line and the level of tax push-backs is very non-linear; sometimes, getting a cheaper line funded is as hard or harder than getting a more expensive version funded.

I don't have a strong opinion on the Brampton transit options, as either solution won't affect me. It just seems to be that, should the tunnel proponents prevail, transit advocates should't go ballistic. Even if the tunnel solution is not optiomal on the cost-benefit scale, it would still increase the transit coverage and improve the connectivity, versus being locked in the debates and having the line terminated at Steeles.

It's September 1! Easy there.
True, it is always hard to get the taxpayer fund transit. However, the dependence between the cost of a new line and the level of tax push-backs is very non-linear; sometimes, getting a cheaper line funded is as hard or harder than getting a more expensive version funded.

I don't have a strong opinion on the Brampton transit options, as either solution won't affect me. It just seems to be that, should the tunnel proponents prevail, transit advocates should't go ballistic. Even if the tunnel solution is not optiomal on the cost-benefit scale, it would still increase the transit coverage and improve the connectivity, versus being locked in the debates and having the line terminated at Steeles.

Should be remembered that for the private sector, they are looking for a profit. The higher the return the better.

See this link for an example where the government "gave away" a project for "lower taxes", but ended up costing the taxpayer user big time, to make sure the private sector has a big profit.

Birth of a fiasco: How the Ontario Tories completely botched the sale of Highway 407

Back