Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

3 is the worst option IMO. There may not ever be the density necessary to tunnel, Main Street appears to be wide enough to support dedicated LRT lanes, and running at grade as opposed to underground could save over a billion dollars that can go towards expanding mass transit beyond the Main Street corridor. Perhaps it could be invested in more Zum routes, or even subsidizing the electrification of the Brampton-Malton stretch of Kitchener GO; both of these would give you more bang for your buck than tunnelling to Sandalwood or something.

1 is best because it does what needs to be done, unless Brampton is willing to grow higher density along the picket fenced backyards lining Main Street.

Of course everything you say makes total sense. But you neglect to acknowledge the wealthy donors that live between Nanwood and Wellington.

This includes Bill Davis. It’s the money (and influence), Lebowski.

Last edited:
#1 is labelled as the "original" but #2 was the actual original proposal. Switching to the more-disruptive #1 allow for all this controversy in the first place. I don't think there will ever be any need for LRT north of downtown anyways so #1 is not needed either. Connecting downtown to Shopper's World, MCC, Cooksville, Port Credit, that's the most important thing. North of downtown? Who cares. They think too much of LRT north of downtown so they didn't get LRT south of downtown either. Just do #2.

^ Just to refresh my memory, the George At Loop was in the Hurontario Main Master Plan but then dropped after the first PIC in the HMLRT EA/TPAP, correct?

3 is the worst option IMO. There may not ever be the density necessary to tunnel, Main Street appears to be wide enough to support dedicated LRT lanes, and running at grade as opposed to underground could save over a billion dollars that can go towards expanding mass transit beyond the Main Street corridor. Perhaps it could be invested in more Zum routes, or even subsidizing the electrification of the Brampton-Malton stretch of Kitchener GO; both of these would give you more bang for your buck than tunnelling to Sandalwood or something.

1 is best because it does what needs to be done, unless Brampton is willing to grow higher density along the picket fenced backyards lining Main Street.
Of course everything you say makes total sense. But you neglect to acknowledge that the wealthy donors that live between Nanwood and Wellington.

This includes Bill Davis. It’s the money (and influence), Lebowski.

This type of thinking is what does us in and why we cannot have nice things.

We're only talking about a 3 km, $1.7 billion at most tunnel with 2-3 stations. In the grand scheme of things this isn't a lot of money to serve the "uptown" core a metropolitan area of over 1.2 million residents. Eglinton-Crosstown tunnels under major areas too where the road width is too narrow for at-grade exclusive ROW operations. All of the eastern Mississauga Transitway, fully grade-separated, elevated or trenched parallel to roads. Had Brampton City Council just gotten from the Province what they originally had asked for from the Mayor Susan Fennell days, none of this cost creep would have happened.

^ The challenge with the assumption for asking for something much earlier is that there wasn't a united front for Main. Some wanted Main to be BRT while others didn't want anything on Main and wanted other routes or systems (like Queen or GO) to be prioritized first. There never was a consensus and I doubt there ever could have been.

So it's nice in theory to think of what could have been possible, it's just hard to imagine it coit have realistically been a possibility.

Maybe because no one in Mississauga refers to that intersection that way? Older folks still remember those designations but wouldn’t call the streets using them anymore.
I don't live in Mississauga but I'm there often enough and have spoken with enough people from there to know, yes, plenty of people from Mississauga refer to that intersection as "5 and 10" and especially older people still refer to Hurontario as Highway 10

That being said, that name is still too colloquial for an LRT stop so I don't agree with it

I don't live in Mississauga but I'm there often enough and have spoken with enough people from there to know, yes, plenty of people from Mississauga refer to that intersection as "5 and 10" and especially older people still refer to Hurontario as Highway 10

That being said, that name is still too colloquial for an LRT stop so I don't agree with it

I live in Mississauga not far from that intersection and I've never heard it referred to by that name.

Back