Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Latest Brampton staff report on the LRT alternative options. Page 30 of the PDF, item 6.2.1-1: http://www.brampton.ca/EN/City-Hall/meetings-agendas/Committee of Council 2010/20180620cw_Agenda.pdf

Map in the report:

2ykxgwn

Latest Brampton staff report on the LRT alternative options. Page 30 of the PDF, item 6.2.1-1: http://www.brampton.ca/EN/City-Hall/meetings-agendas/Committee of Council 2010/20180620cw_Agenda.pdf

Map in the report:

All of these routes are so ridiculous.

Building a rapid transit line that avoids the densest part of a city is completely ludicrous. Accessing the densest part of a city (=ridership and destinations) is exactly why cities build rapid transit!!!

I challenge you to find a city anywhere in the world with a single LRT line that totally avoids its downtown????

Transit innovations. Only in Brampton. /facepalm

All of these routes are so ridiculous.

Building a rapid transit line that avoids the densest part of a city is completely ludicrous. Accessing the densest part of a city (=ridership and destinations) is exactly why cities build rapid transit!!!

Since the densest part of the city can only be served by Queen Street BRT....not sure why it is relevant to this discussion.

I challenge you to find a city anywhere in the world with a single LRT line that totally avoids its downtown????

I think that description will fit a fair few LRT lines....isn't Toronto building some that will meet that description?

Since the densest part of the city can only be served by Queen Street BRT....not sure why it is relevant to this discussion.

A) Queen Street is not the densest part of Brampton. It is the busiest in terms of vehicular traffic, but the built form / building structure is vastly different than the downtown strip on Main from Church to Wellington. That is a true downtown. Also it is targeted “growth centre” for development, which is already happening, around Four Corners.

B) this LRT must terminate at Gateway. This LRT cannot service Queen Street.

I think that description will fit a fair few LRT lines....isn't Toronto building some that will meet that description?

I said cities with a single LRT line are always through their downtown. That’s kinda the point. Its ridiculous that the downtown, a designated growth node for decades to come, won’t be serviced by the single LRT line that Brampton will have for the foreseeable future.

I said cities with a single LRT line are always through their downtown.

No, it's not "always" the case. See Brooklyn-Queens Connector in NYC as an example. Though of course the caveat is that Manhattan is already served by higher order transit.

Its ridiculous that the downtown, a designated growth node for decades to come, won’t be serviced by the single LRT line that Brampton will have for the foreseeable future.

The LRT terminates at the GO station and bus terminal, which is still part of downtown. Look, I also despise those alternative routes with a burning passion, but lets not misrepresent the facts here. Leave it to city council to do that :).

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 6.41.14 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 6.41.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 6.41.14 PM.png
    366 KB · Views: 517
A) Queen Street is not the densest part of Brampton. It is the busiest in terms of vehicular traffic, but the built form / building structure is vastly different than the downtown

The densest area in Brampton is, by a long way, the area around the Bramalea City Centre. Denser in terms of, all, residential, office and retail.

I did not say Queen Street is the densest but that the Queen RT will serve the densest area in town....and that is the area bounded by Clark to the south, Queen to the north between Dixie in the East and Bramalea Road on the west.

A) Queen Street is not the densest part of Brampton. It is the busiest in terms of vehicular traffic, but the built form / building structure is vastly different than the downtown strip on Main from Church to Wellington. That is a true downtown. Also it is targeted “growth centre” for development, which is already happening, around Four Corners.

B) this LRT must terminate at Gateway. This LRT cannot service Queen Street.

I said cities with a single LRT line are always through their downtown. That’s kinda the point. Its ridiculous that the downtown, a designated growth node for decades to come, won’t be serviced by the single LRT line that Brampton will have for the foreseeable future.

Given the posts by @pstogios and @TOareaFan, are there actually any stats on density and Brampton?

There's defining advantages to the McLaughlin and Kennedy alignments though. One serves the apartment cluster at McMurchy/Steeles, Sheridan college, Flower City community centre and Bram West shopping mall. The other, the numerous apartment clusters along Kennedy Rd between Steeles and Queen and the Peel Memorial Hospital. The detour to serve either alignment could add 10 minutes travel time between Shoppers World and Brampton GO, assuming signal priority.

But again, if straight up Main St were to be undertaken, especially in this political climate, they just may as well spend the estimated $570 million necessary to tunnel the section between Nanwood and Brampton GO and be done with it.

Who was debating where DT is?

Ok, it was about the densest parts of BRAMPT which traditionally is the domain of any cities' DT.

But, I'm not from there, so what do I know? But it does seem like one of the silliest of the 905 bedroom "cities" when it comes to planning and general common sense.

Maybe that hotshot planner from Vancity can knock some sense into the porous craniums of the Brampton PTB. But I'm doubtful. I think he'll run away screaming with his hair on fire.

Back