Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just back from vacation and see you replied.....so:
4. I believe McMurchy route is only on the list because it would serve the high potential user group that exists at Sheridan college.....this group, alone, would probably provide higher ridership numbers than the entire stretch on Main (which I still think is the best route overall) between Steeles and Brampton GO. So I am not sure why you chose a picture from ~500 m north of Sheridan to judge the route (or maybe I can figure it out )) )

What I don't (and never will) understand is why the province threw fuel on the fire by treating Brampton completely different than any other municipality that had the temerity to put local input into an LRT project.

Just to get into the weeds. Only part of the McMurchy route that touches near Sheridan would use McMurchy (per below).

What follows could be seen as playing devil's advocate. Risky, but I'll do it anyways.

Some at the Province may have assumed that a single swing vote on Council could have changed the outcome and were surprised when it didn't work out that way. Staff/non-political folks may have justified in their minds their support for the route as looking at Brampton's own OP and participation in the Master Plan (probably starting at the same time as the first comment in this thread) and then then TPAP. One of the Councillors even asked about the George St loop option (and not the others) at AMO conference with the Minister about two months before the final vote.

So, I think from the Province's perspective they had enough to go on, in their minds, that it was a strong contender based on local preferences. Lifes comes at you fast as they say. Turned out there was strong opposition by some on Council and their supporters and it became more clear. I don't think we'll get a repeat of that situation.

One would think it would make the Province (under any government) only present and fund deals when they have a locked down commitment before going public. Maybe they wouldn't want to risk another Brampton or Toronto change of heart, or indecisiveness in even Hamilton. Doug Ford is saying Hamilton can use the $1B LRT money for anything and the ONDP have said their has been "waffling" on the Hamilton LRT project (page 60 in the platform here).

R06xtph.png

^^ And thinking about the ridership Sheridan generates and the view that "this group, alone, would probably provide higher ridership numbers than the entire stretch on Main", do we have any sense of the actual Sheridan commuting patterns? Have they ever published anything?

One would think their PR arm would want to publish that data in order to justify why they should get the LRT to their campus. I'm just honestly wondering how a comparison should be treated between known ridership on Main and the actual and potential ridership and patterns for Sheridan. In other words, how many are coming from/transferring at the Brampton downtown transit terminal?

^^ And thinking about the ridership Sheridan generates and the view that "this group, alone, would probably provide higher ridership numbers than the entire stretch on Main", do we have any sense of the actual Sheridan commuting patterns? Have they ever published anything?

Not that I am aware of but I am willing to bet that students use transit far more than the people living on MainStreet between Steeles and Nelson.

One would think their PR arm would want to publish that data in order to justify why they should get the LRT to their campus. I'm just honestly wondering how a comparison should be treated between known ridership on Main and the actual and potential ridership and patterns for Sheridan. In other words, how many are coming from/transferring at the Brampton downtown transit terminal?

As far as I know, Sheridan has not been involved in promoting the McLaughlin route or being opposed to any other route.

Brampton University Location and Funding Confirmed
The location would be in downtown Brampton, specifically at the southeast corner of Church Street West and Mill Street North. This is right on the main parking lot of Brampton GO.
Will this finally knock some sense into those on Brampton Council that rejected the Main St alignment? Probably not, but one can hope.

Malhi says the location in downtown is important for convenience to local businesses, unlocking development, building momentum along the innovation corridor, and to provide transit access along the GO line for students and faculty.
No mention of LRT.

^again, I think the direct “straight up Main” route is the best route.....but every other suggested route terminates in this exact same spot......so I don’t think today’s announcement changes anyone’s route opinions (although, since the university is a Sheridan-Ryerson project, perhaps the notion of connecting the unit to Sheridan by LRT is appealing and this might be a positive for those that support the McLaughlin route).

...perhaps the notion of connecting the unit to Sheridan by LRT is appealing and this might be a positive for those that support the McLaughlin route).

Will be interesting to see how this (ie the now known specific location for Ryerson) impacts the potential need for a grade separation under the CN Halton Sub for one of the options for a McLaughlin LRT. Apparently on April 25th at the open house there will be a "web" of options based on the EA map posted above.

Images from the open house tonight on how the Main St LRT alternative routes (McLaughlin and Kennedy) would interact with the Brampton GO Station and downtown Brampton Brampton Transit Terminal.

received_10156070949460767.jpeg
received_10156070949620767.jpeg

Attachments

• received_10156070949460767.jpeg
    received_10156070949460767.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 652
  • received_10156070949620767.jpeg
    received_10156070949620767.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 610
Last edited by a moderator:
Display boards aren't up yet but here's the timeline:

• Introductory Open House - April 25, 2018
    Introduction of the project and initial alternative LRT routes to be considered

Public Information Centre No. 1 - Late June 2018
    Short-listed alternatives for Kennedy and McLaughlin corridors as well as loop options

Public Information Centre No. 2 - Spring 2019
    Preferred LRT route along the Kennedy and McLaughlin corridors (one preferred for each corridor) as well as the loop

Public Information Centre No. 3 - Fall 2019
    Overall preferred LRT route

Initiate TPAP - Spring 2020
    Satisfy the Ontario EA Act requirements

Public Information Centre No. 4 - Spring 2020

Completion of TPAP - Fall 2020
  • This Study is aimed at ensuring we provide the best LRT system for Brampton, respecting local needs and supporting anticipated growth in a sustainable way.
  • We will be asking for input from the public to ensure that the LRT meets Brampton’s transportation needs and is thoughtfully integrated into communities in a way that fosters vibrancy, accessibility, and connectivity.
TPAP.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back