Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

What do you considered as "fast tracked"?

I would say fast tracked means funding lobbying time (including inter-government funding contract negotiations) is not in the critical path allowing studies, design, engineering, construction to proceed without interruption.

It's very rare in Toronto that funding is ready in advance; even fully funded projects with funds sitting in a trust account (like Spadina Extension) can get delayed by negotiations determining which level of government will claim which component (timeline of actual spending has accounting impacts).

Last edited:
Makes me wonder what the fastest new transit project we've had since 1970. How long did it take to build the Scarborough RT from proposal to completion? How about the Sheppard subway?
The SRT was converted from Streetcars line that was plan for in the 60's that was to go to Malvern and open in 1985.

The Government of Ontario forced TTC to change the plan/design from Streetcar to SRT in the 70's, since they wanted the line to showcase the new system so it could be sold around the world by holding funding for TTC. Another fail business by the province under the PC and sold off for peanuts.

Sheppard would be a fast track plan since it was a Mel Thing starting in the 1985 and open in 2002

The SRT was converted from Streetcars line that was plan for in the 60's that was to go to Malvern and open in 1985.

The Government of Ontario forced TTC to change the plan/design from Streetcar to SRT in the 70's, since they wanted the line to showcase the new system so it could be sold around the world by holding funding for TTC. Another fail business by the province under the PC and sold off for peanuts.

Sheppard would be a fast track plan since it was a Mel Thing starting in the 1985 and open in 2002
It would have been impressive if Sheppard Full was built in that timeframe, instead of the almost useless stub that exists now.

It would have been impressive if Sheppard Full was built in that timeframe, instead of the almost useless stub that exists now.
Got to thank good old Mike Harris on the stub. He gave the city a choice of which one of the 2 subways under construction would proceed on a $1 Billion budget. The City wanted the Sheppard Line to go east to Victoria Park, but the money ran out at Don Mills with Mike not willing to pickup the extra cost to Victoria. If it was able to go to Victoria as plan, the line most likely would open around 2006. Anything beyond that point would have been a pure wasted of money then as well today. You may see a train every 10-15 minutes compare to the current 7 minutes.

Now we have a council not willing to look at the big picture to the point they have built a stub line at this time for Hurontario.

Maybe in 20 years there will be a council willing to look at the big picture that they will extend the stub as plan yesterday as well taking it north to the city limits.

Got to thank good old Mike Harris on the stub. He gave the city a choice of which one of the 2 subways under construction would proceed on a $1 Billion budget. The City wanted the Sheppard Line to go east to Victoria Park, but the money ran out at Don Mills with Mike not willing to pickup the extra cost to Victoria. If it was able to go to Victoria as plan, the line most likely would open around 2006. Anything beyond that point would have been a pure wasted of money then as well today. You may see a train every 10-15 minutes compare to the current 7 minutes.

Now we have a council not willing to look at the big picture to the point they have built a stub line at this time for Hurontario.

Maybe in 20 years there will be a council willing to look at the big picture that they will extend the stub as plan yesterday as well taking it north to the city limits.

Do not forget that Mike Harris was Doug Ford Jr.'s hero and idol, when the Doug Ford Sr. sat as a PC backbencher for one term during the Harris government.

Do not forget that Mike Harris was Doug Ford Jr.'s hero and idol, when the Doug Ford Sr. sat as a PC backbencher for one term during the Harris government.
Please...the liberals have had 15 years to do better. All they did was extend an over crowded subway line out to their riding in York Region. They have done noting to help the situation regarding DRL

Please...the liberals have had 15 years to do better. All they did was extend an over crowded subway line out to their riding in York Region. They have done noting to help the situation regarding DRL

Yeah that's simply untrue. They funded the Relief Line to get it to 30% design and included their full share of $4 billion-worth of matching funding for non-RER Toronto transit projects in their budget. And there are obviously multiple LRT projects currently churning through various stages.

Yeah that's simply untrue. They funded the Relief Line to get it to 30% design and included their full share of $4 billion-worth of matching funding for non-RER Toronto transit projects in their budget. And there are obviously multiple LRT projects currently churning through various stages.

Can we just agree that the Provincial Liberals have done a bit in improving transit in Toronto. It’s just that it wasn’t big enough to make a enormous difference. Eglinton, TYSSE, improves GO, GO-TTC co-fare are all great things, but all should have been done 10-20 years ago. The Relief Line Long and 15 min Electricfied GO RER should be completed or near completion by now.

15 years is a long time. Considering that, relative to the tenure of those who were there before, I think the word bit is a good fit.

I realize compared to Toronto these are not prime destinations, but compared to the options for the LRT route that Brampton is floating?

Av6lRmh.jpg

4Amtj5s.jpg

ahh yes, lets take the LRT to a field, and some car dealerships! Said no one ever.
Just back from vacation and see you replied.....so:

1. No one is comparing the Brampton Mall to a Toronto location.....it simply is not a destination for anyone in Brampton.....it is an open air grocery anchored strip centre....like dozens of others all over town. The only good thing I can say about the Brampton Mall is that it is the only site north of Steeles on Main before the GO station where any sort of significant redevelopment can take place.
2. The very post you responded to I re-confirmed for the umpteenth time here that I agree that the route straight up Main is optimal so I am not sure why you chose to argue with me......but that has been voted on and killed.
3. The very fact that council is spending local money even studying alternative routes should be seen as a commitment by council to try and find some route that can get majority support that gets the LRT (now that it is being built) to it's logical end point of the GO station.
4. I believe McLaughlin route is only on the list because it would serve the high potential user group that exists at Sheridan college.....this group, alone, would probably provide higher ridership numbers than the entire stretch on Main (which I still think is the best route overall) between Steeles and Brampton GO. So I am not sure why you chose a picture from ~500 m north of Sheridan to judge the route (or maybe I can figure it out :) )
5. Kennedy is a bit of a hodgepodge of crap just now....but it does have:
a) more higher density housing, now, between Steeles and Queen than Main will ever have.
b) more sites for potential redevelopment (by far) than Main could have.

Again, I don't think either alternative routes gets built.....I think a post-elections revisit of Main is what we are looking at......but I can see why those two routes are the ones being studied and I think the positive thing is that there is a commitment by all on council to find a way to get the LRT to the downtown GO "somehow".

What I don't (and never will) understand is why the province threw fuel on the fire by treating Brampton completely different than any other municipality that had the temerity to put local input into an LRT project.

Last edited:

Back