Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

i think dundas/hurontario should be called four corners the square there has that name, eglinton and hurontario should be given a name like uptown mississauga or something that also corresponds to the pinnacle uptown development. imo we should avoid naming both cross streets unless its an interchange station.
No way, it would be criminal for Metrolinx to be naming stations after real estate buzznames

For the subway U in Toronto, I still don't know what stations are on King, Queen, Dundas, College, and Wellesley along University.
Neither do I but at least in the TTC's case you figure that out just by looking on the subway map and see which stations line up (as in, you look at the map and you see St. George is right across from Dundas which tells you that's the street it's on). Those names are a consequence of the weird U-shape

Anyway, the reason why it would be inappropriate for the LRT stations to be named after real estate developments is not because most passengers would have a hard time identifying them (which is a valid argument as well), but simply because of ethical concerns

No way, it would be criminal for Metrolinx to be naming stations after real estate buzznames
Besides, if this thing ever gets extended to DT Brampton it will pass a major intersection that has been called “The Four Corners” since before I moved to Brampton in 1972 (I understand the name goes back quite far). To be clear, in the case of Brampton it does not refer to a specific development but, rather, the entire intersection where there were main branches of 4 banks on each of the 4 corners.

You 2 just proved my point.. Name it after streets.

Museum would be named Charles Station.

I agree with naming station after streets (or intersections) but I'm not sure Charles Station helps most people, who aren't already familiar with downtown in detail, where the station is.

Last edited:
Museum would be named Charles Station.

I agree with naming station after streets (or intersections) but I'm not sure Charles Station helps mos people Torontonians, who aren't already familiar with downtown in detail, where the station is.

Also, it starts to get confusing when you have multiple lines and multiple stations with the same name. Sure there's "east/west", but what happens when you get the third station on the same cross street. Then you end up with situations like Chicago where you have to start including both intersecting streets.

Major landmark or well known neighborhood first, street second, then intersection would be my order of preference in naming a station

Then you end up with situations like Chicago where you have to start including both intersecting streets.

The "This is Chicago" announcement on the airport line is somewhat famous. Unfortunately they changed the phrasing for that station several years ago.

Major landmark or well known neighborhood first, street second, then intersection would be my order of preference in naming a station

I used to have a strong preference for street/intersection first but have realized it's simply because I happened to memorize the street-grid before taking the transit system and happen to think of direction/location in that way. Your ordering makes sense in a future where the majority of trips occur by transit and driving oneself is a rare event (automated-taxi passengers won't care what they've travelled along/through any more than a transit user).

Metrolinx f'd up the station names on the Eglinton LRT and now want to mess up the names on the Hurontario LRT. Please. Just. Stop.

The existing names were perfectly fine.

I don't know...I imagine a person in 2060 saying with a greatly expanded transit network saying "Meet me at Eglinton station... Which one? The east-east-east one"

On the other hand, here in Ottawa they renamed confederation station to "Mooney's Bay", because it seemed it would be confusing that it was nowhere near the confederation line. They didn't want to call it Heron (the street it's on) since there's another Heron station a mere 500m away. But the actual Mooney's Bay is a kilometer away from the station, and ironically it's not even the closest station to Mooney's Bay.

Back