News   Apr 18, 2024
 72     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 359     0 

Hume Praises Liberty Village Street Furniture

"However, our bus shelters I think are both highly functional and quite attractive."

I'm really wondering if the suburbs will ever get them. My local bus stop was destroyed twice last year. Each time it took months to fix which I assumed was because they were preparing to install a new glass version, but, nope, the old 'funded by Scarborough taxpayers' ones were rebuilt. I bring up the subrbs again because if anything like a comprehensive street furniture program is going to be implemented, it may not happen on a scale wider than BIAs unless most areas around the city get some new stuff.

scarberian:

I've seen quite a few of those new shelters along Finch East.

AoD

I have seen the shelters in suburban locations too, some quite remote. But I had assumed, wrongly, that any new shelters would resemble the new glass models.

Sure, there are some new shelters along arterials, but there's dozens, probably hundreds, of stops that I've seen without them...of course, some stops have no shelters at all, and some aren't used enough to justify it (yet they'll be rebuilt in the old style if they're broken), but it's on suburban routes with awful frequency and no surrounding shelter that these things are most needed...no one ever uses the ones on Finch because there's almost perpetually a bus in sight.

I work in the area, what it needs is an after 5 street life, it’s a bit like the Core in terms of action. Once Liberty Village is complete I’m sure some of the old Industrial and warehouse Buildings will be put to a more use in terms of 24hr functionality. What the area does need right now as posted above are decent sidewalks and more trees.

I work in the area as well and I dont think its that bad after 5. The warehouse has their license now and is open a bit later and they have their patio as well, same with the Liberty Cafe with their patio .... I think more of the activity after 5 is towards the east side of liberty village, east of Hanna or so ... since most of the offices are west of there...

Back