News   Apr 16, 2024
 511     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 422     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 782     0 

Hudson's Bay Company

Occupying, on average, about 7% of a Bay store doesn't afford much visibility. It would seem to preclude bringing back the restaurant in any form, and it doesn't allow for any real category depth either.

This.

My thinking is they are going for the nostalgia factor and only selling Zellers branded stuff. Think of it almost like the small section of the Bay selling their striped products.

Stores inside stores are nice but I wonder how well they will do.
I wonder if they are going to be used as a test bed for larger stores.
I thought the only intention behind this was to stop someone else using the name.

HBC has now confirmed the closing of at least two stores in Alberta.

One at Londonderry Mall in Edmonton.......which, in fairness, might the best served HBC market in the country on a stores per capita basis...........

Though, that store was under-invested in, as so many are, for at least a generation...............

But now, they've also confirmed exiting Banff with had a mini-store (20,000ft2) which it has had for generations.

I feel like this merits close watching, as I've been hearing rumours of large-scale closures for more than a year, and all the signs have been there, but it just hasn't come to pass, but now we have 2 announcements in as many weeks.

HBC stores across the country, including in flagship malls are running contracted hours that make no sense whatsoever.

You can't generate sale per ft2 with a closed store.

I am hearing that at least 2 stores in the GTA ( I suspect more) are up for closure in the near-term, but HBC does a pretty good job of keeping the actual dates quiet.

One at Londonderry Mall in Edmonton.......which, in fairness, might the best served HBC market in the country on a stores per capita basis...........

Though, that store was under-invested in, as so many are, for at least a generation...............

But now, they've also confirmed exiting Banff with had a mini-store (20,000ft2) which it has had for generations.

I feel like this merits close watching, as I've been hearing rumours of large-scale closures for more than a year, and all the signs have been there, but it just hasn't come to pass, but now we have 2 announcements in as many weeks.

HBC stores across the country, including in flagship malls are running contracted hours that make no sense whatsoever.

I am hearing that at least 2 stores in the GTA ( I suspect more) are up for closure in the near-term, but HBC does a pretty good job of keeping the actual dates quiet.

This screams Eaton's.

I'm amazed the one at Woodbine still exists. There's no way that location has been profitable for many years...

I parked at Saks on the weekend at Sherway and was annoyed to get to the doors only for them to be locked. Realized their hours are now noon to 6pm.

I assume staffing issues are impacting them big time?

I parked at Saks on the weekend at Sherway and was annoyed to get to the doors only for them to be locked. Realized their hours are now noon to 6pm.

I don't think that's the issue.

The Bay has placed restricted hours on every single store in the country as far as I can tell.

Yorkdale has had really, really good sales for them in the past; it is, I'm fairly sure their best store per ft2 in the company, and its running 11-7 M-F and 11-6 (from 10am on Sat) on the weekends. , even though the mall is open 10am-9pm Mon-Sat and is 11-7 only on Sundays.

Clearly almost every other retailer at Yorkdale is managing to open in line w/mall hours.

For comparison, these are Nordstrom's Yorkdale hours:

1675806740229.png

HBC is cheapskating on renos, on ads/marketing and on staff hours.

Excellent strategy if the intention is to go out of business.

Last edited:

Don't think they are doing the best either... the pusateri's already closed

With construction imminent at Yonge & Queen for the Ontario Line, I wonder what special consideration for access to the building will be? They should consider souping-up the signage (or some type of eye-catching display) around the entrance to the pedestrian bridge from the mall side.

The intersection is going to be a mess for a decade, and might just be the nail in the coffin for this location.

Back