News   Mar 28, 2024
 714     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 490     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 798     0 

Hudson's Bay Company

I very much disagree with this strategy.

Zellers had some life left in it, when it was killed; but it was tired; if it were to be sustained at the time, it needed investment in better stores, improved assortment, better price points etc.

Regardless, it was aimed at the discount market.

Hudson's Bay as a brand has rightly tried to reposition itself as upper-middle to avoid head to head competition with Walmart.

Bringing Zellers back to occupy 20% or more of a Hudson's Bay store footprint serves to diminish the latter, while not being useful to the traditional Zellers customer.

If Zellers were to be revived, the way to do it, other than building completely new stores would be the wholesale conversion of the dumpster fire Hudson's Bay stores that haven't been properly invested in; and are too
small to be what HBC says they would like to position them to be.

Just flip the whole store, so you can get rid of a 'B' or 'C' level store that drags on the reputation of Hudson's Bay (such as it is); and you have ample room to test out new concepts for a lower-price segment.

I think Giant Tiger, among others, establishes that there is some life in the discount concept; a space between Dollarama and Walmart.

But to pull it off you need to identify what that market needs and wants, and how to differentiate your offer.

I would aim to bring back the Lunch Counter idea as a way to drive traffic, I'd think about an inordinate focus on seasonal (allows regular product refresh, and its not a well-served segment of the market);
I'd look heavily into toys, as children drive traffic; I would pair that w/children's wear and snacks/candy.

A bunch of pseudo-nostalgic shirts in a space designed for a version of The Bay that no one has built in 30 years is not my idea of a retail strategy.

I don't think Zellers is being revived, they're just playing on nostalgia. It's a fairly small section of the store.

A fun exercise, but I don't think it'll make much of a difference one way or another.

Why do I get the feeling it's being sold off.

*shrugs* Not sure why you get that feeling.

But if you're generally after the idea that the incoming news probably isn't good....................you might be on to something.

*shrugs* Not sure why you get that feeling.

But if you're generally after the idea that the incoming news probably isn't good....................you might be on to something.

Don't get me wrong, I like Saks. I just think they would be better off in their own independent locations

I don't think Zellers is being revived, they're just playing on nostalgia. It's a fairly small section of the store.

A fun exercise, but I don't think it'll make much of a difference one way or another.

I think it was a play at maintaining "use" of Zellers trademarks that had lapsed.

Reactions: syn
I may have heard that there is
big news on Sak's incoming soon.

Louis Vuitton and Christian Dior have exited their boutique concession operations at the Saks Fifth Avenue within the Queen Street Bay store.

The first shoe to drop.

Not the last.

Louis Vuitton and Christian Dior have exited their boutique concession operations at the Saks Fifth Avenue within the Queen Street Bay store.

Not surprised, that LV was usually very quiet... plus with all the staff in the path district working remotely.. they likely just order online

I always park at the Sherway Saks for a good spot, never busy over there...

An article covering the same topic, but with an additional brief commentary about the performance of Saks in Canada:

Despite Dior and Louis Vuitton’s rebound in countries like China and the U.S., it doesn’t seem to be enough to replicate the same surge for the Saks brand. Saks had planned on a national expansion into Montreal and Vancouver, but it’s rumoured these plans have been halted due to weak sales performances across the country.

Back