News   Apr 19, 2024
 747     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Hudson's Bay Company

Catalyst Makes $1.5 Billion Rival Bid for Hudson’s Bay

Scott Deveau
November 27, 2019

Was just there on Sat. Nothing is left for sale except for 6 racks of UGLY woman's clothes, and 3 tables full of junk, bedwares and shower curtains. Posted some pics on another thread.
I was there too and I agree, it was pretty sad! The line-ups were very, very long, yet there was nothing much to buy. (well, for men anyway)

When we lived in Fredericton we would buy our infant kids their strollers and clothes at Zellers. It was much less busier than the local Walmart and just as competitive.

The Zellers in the area I grew up in at the Dufferin Galleria went into a steady decline until it ultimately closed with the rest of the chain. But that also corresponds with the rest of the mall. As both increasingly got left in the shadow of Walmart and Dufferin Mall just down the street.

The one at Conestoga Mall when I went to school in Waterloo was totally different though. And was full of customers and activity even at around 2010-ish before I left. It served the local population and students well being much closer to UW and Laurier. The Walmart back then was on the way opposite side of the KWC metro area at Fairview Park in Kitchener. I haven't personally been back there in years but it seems like a new Walmart location has opened within Waterloo now and is closer to the Universities.

The Zellers in the area I grew up in at the Dufferin Galleria went into a steady decline until it ultimately closed with the rest of the chain. But that also corresponds with the rest of the mall. As both increasingly got left in the shadow of Walmart and Dufferin Mall just down the street.

The one at Conestoga Mall when I went to school in Waterloo was totally different though. And was full of customers and activity even at around 2010-ish before I left. It served the local population and students well being much closer to UW and Laurier. The Walmart back then was on the way opposite side of the KWC metro area at Fairview Park in Kitchener. I haven't personally been back there in years but it seems like a new Walmart location has opened within Waterloo now and is closer to the Universities.

I went to 3 Zellers. One at the Pickering Town Centre, one in the Golden Mile plaza and one at Bridlewood Mall.

They all were the same. They all had low end merchandise that was hardly ever in stock. When it was in stock nothing was ever organized.

I avoided shopping at Zellers and so did my parents. We went to Woolco instead of Zellers

I avoided shopping at Zellers and so did my parents. We went to Woolco instead of Zellers
I grew up in Meadowvale, Mississauga as an immigrant kid from 1976 to 1988 and I remember going to Woolco at the Meadowvale Town Centre. I bought my first b/w 12" TV there, plus my goldfish, hamsters, GoBots, and my Commodore 64 and best of all the entire set of Weapons and Warfare encyclopedia. My mum used to take us there for their lunch counter, that's where I first had a hot sandwich, roast beef on white bread with peas buried under gravy, I still make that myself once in a while to remember.

919aeJJZ0fL.jpg

I grew up in Meadowvale, Mississauga as an immigrant kid from 1976 to 1988 and I remember going to Woolco at the Meadowvale Town Centre. I bought my first b/w 12" TV there, plus my goldfish, hamsters, GoBots, and my Commodore 64 and best of all the entire set of Weapons and Warfare encyclopedia. My mum used to take us there for their lunch counter, that's where I first had a hot sandwich, roast beef on white bread with peas buried under gravy, I still make that myself once in a while to remember.

919aeJJZ0fL.jpg

My parents used to take me shopping at the Woolco at Honeydale mall. I remember always finding the toy section utterly disappointing compared to Eaton's at Sherway for example (before the Toys R Us opened).

Tangential to this subject at least is the molestation of the Queen Street flagship w/the sublet of the 6th and 7th floors to WeWork.

The space has now been fitted out.

Story and pictures are up here: https://torontostoreys.com/wework-toronto-hudsons-bay-photos/

From the above, a sample of 2 pics, the top is a more formal section of workspace; the bottom is for those who wish they worked at an Ikea!

1580102151119.png

1580102219116.png

What the hell is that? I wouldn't get anything done there. At all. In fact, I'd not last in there very long at all, never mind be of the mind to be productive.

What the hell is that? I wouldn't get anything done there. At all. In fact, I'd not last in there very long at all, never mind be of the mind to be productive.

This is actually the modern workplace. Long gone are the days where you have cubicles and offices. Open concept is the norm.

The Masonic Temple actually has a slide in it to get from the 6th to the 5th floors.

Back