22     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 822     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 284     0 

Hudson's Bay Company

From Business in Vancouver - "Who's getting Sued" - February 1, 2021:

Defendants
Hudson’s Bay Company ULC and HBC Canada Parent Holdings Inc. and HBC LP and HBSFA Holdings Ltd.

Plaintiffs
CBRE DHC Den Haag (Grote Marktstraat V) B.V. and CBRE DHC Maastricht (Grote Staat V) B.V. and CBRE DRET Custodian I B.V.

Claim
Damages for conspiracy and fraudulent conveyance arising from defendants’ improper transfer of assets to an entity incorporated in Bermuda to avoid more than €69 million in corporate guarantees owed to plaintiffs for department store leases in Netherlands.

HBC partners with Neo Financial to launch new Hudson’s Bay MasterCard

FEBRUARY 9, 2021

Canada’s oldest retailer is teaming up with one of the country’s newest financial technology companies to offer a new credit card.

The partnership between Hudson’s Bay Co. and Neo Financial announced Tuesday comes three months after U.S.-based Capital One said it was ending its relationship with HBC and Costco Canada in 2021.

Iain Nairn, president and CEO of Hudson’s Bay, says the new Hudson’s Bay MasterCard is part of the retailer’s “digital-first strategy” to improve the company’s digital offerings and customer experience.

He says the company has increasingly “digitally savvy” shoppers that will appreciate the new card’s digital applications, though customers will also receive a conventional plastic card.

Andrew Chau, co-founder and CEO of Neo Financial, calls the partnership the “next generation of credit card and retail innovation.”

He says it’s “symbolic” for the new financial company to partner with a retailer as iconic as HBC.

“It’s melding together this technology and the retail front of Hudson’s Bay to create one of the most advanced and rewarding credit cards and financial products in Canada,” says Chau, also a co-founder of food delivery service SkipTheDishes.

The Sak's idea is toast in favour of a new redevelopment proposal for the Montreal store.

While the heritage facades stay, much of the building would meet the wrecker's ball in favour of a 25-storey office tower.

The store would be radically downsized to 295,000ft2.

I think that's a sad idea for HBC

Not an appropriate size for a flagship store at all.

As to the development...........some positives on the restoration side; but to me, out weighed by tearing down so much.

The full planning application is here, via Retail Insider:

From said application: (again via R-I)

1613999145982.png

Hudson's Bay launching online marketplace, adding third-party sellers to its website

March 4, 2021

Hudson's Bay Co. hopes to transform its website into Canada’s next online shopping marketplace in a bid to position itself as a premium, home-grown alternative to e-commerce heavy hitters like Amazon.

The company will open its website to third-party sellers starting later this month, adding hundreds of new brands and thousands of items to its online assortment of products at a time when pandemic restrictions have curtailed in-person shopping.

The new site will include electronics and sporting goods, pushing the retailer beyond tried-and-true categories like clothing and home decor as it seeks to attract and retain customers who increasingly demand a strong online presence.

Hudson's Bay launching online marketplace, adding third-party sellers to its website

March 4, 2021

Hudson's Bay Co. hopes to transform its website into Canada’s next online shopping marketplace in a bid to position itself as a premium, home-grown alternative to e-commerce heavy hitters like Amazon.

The company will open its website to third-party sellers starting later this month, adding hundreds of new brands and thousands of items to its online assortment of products at a time when pandemic restrictions have curtailed in-person shopping.

The new site will include electronics and sporting goods, pushing the retailer beyond tried-and-true categories like clothing and home decor as it seeks to attract and retain customers who increasingly demand a strong online presence.

This is the one thing that turns me away from Walmart and Best Buys websites. I can never find anything I need on them in and among all the third party sellers.

I can see this turning into an unmitigated disaster for HBC because quite honestly this so far beyond what they are known for that it won't work. This is not Eatons or Sears, the late 1800s to mid 1900s or a mail order catalog. Stick to what you know, not make yourself a one stop shop.

When I think of The Bay I think of Houseware, kitchenware, clothes and other related items. I do not think of sporting goods.

This is the one thing that turns me away from Walmart and Best Buys websites. I can never find anything I need on them in and among all the third party sellers.

I can see this turning into an unmitigated disaster for HBC because quite honestly this so far beyond what they are known for that it won't work. This is not Eatons or Sears, the late 1800s to mid 1900s or a mail order catalog. Stick to what you know, not make yourself a one stop shop.

When I think of The Bay I think of Houseware, kitchenware, clothes and other related items. I do not think of sporting goods.

On Bestbuy.ca there's a switch at the top of every search that allows you to show only Best Buy results.

I've never found it difficult to use.

I agree that adding product categories could be a problem for them.

Hudson's Bay also sells toys in their dedicated sections.

"Although it will very much be a vast assortment, it will feel curated," said Adam Powell, senior vice-president of omni customer experience.

"We're not going to approach it in the same way that Amazon or Walmart would, which is 'absolutely everything goes' with little consideration other than having as many products as possible."

"It'll be a real natural extension from our existing business, and it'll still be very much in keeping with the types of areas and quality that we want to portray with our customers."

Hudson's Bay online marketplace will feature more than 500 third-party sellers

UPDATE: March 22, 2021: Noting that "online shopping has more than doubled in Canada over the past year," Hudson's Bay on Monday said that its new marketplace on thebay.com will feature more than 500 sellers by the end of the year. Categories will include sports and recreation, tech, pets, health and wellness, and vintage designer handbags and watches, according to a company press release.

Dive Brief:​

• As retailers find ways to adapt to a more digital-focused world, Hudson's Bay on Tuesday announced that the retailer is launching an online marketplace, according to a company press release.
  • The department store put a call out for Canadian vendors to become part of its seller community in apparel, home, beauty or accessories. The retailer is also considering new lines of product offerings.
  • The marketplace will launch on thebay.com later in 2021, per the release. Potential sellers can fill out a marketplace application form.

HBC, RioCan to build 25-storey tower at downtown Montreal store

Apr. 12, 2021

HBC and RioCan (REI-UN-T) are about to expand their six-year-old partnership on several Canadian properties, announcing they will move ahead with the redevelopment of HBC’s downtown Montreal property into a 25-storey office tower.

The mixed-use redevelopment will include construction of an office tower of approximately one million square feet and the transformation of Hudson’s Bay’s existing retail space. HBC is finalizing details of the project with the City of Montreal and other stakeholders.

HBC, RioCan to build 25-storey tower at downtown Montreal store

Apr. 12, 2021

HBC and RioCan (REI-UN-T) are about to expand their six-year-old partnership on several Canadian properties, announcing they will move ahead with the redevelopment of HBC’s downtown Montreal property into a 25-storey office tower.

The mixed-use redevelopment will include construction of an office tower of approximately one million square feet and the transformation of Hudson’s Bay’s existing retail space. HBC is finalizing details of the project with the City of Montreal and other stakeholders.

I first noted this (courtesy Retail-Insider) back in February..........unfortunately, it would mean a radical downsizing of the Montreal store.

Looks like we'll have to start removing the Topshop connection from this thread title:

TopShop to Exit Hudson’s Bay and Shut All Stores After 10 Year Run in Canada

UK fast-fashion brand Topshop and Topman will be exiting all Hudson’s Bay stores in the fall after a 10 year run in Canada. The move comes after the administration filing of Topshop in the UK and its subsequent acquisition by ASOS which was finalized in February. All Topshop and Topman retail spaces in Canada will be shuttered by September 30, 2021 as a result.

Most employees in the Canadian locations will be offered jobs elsewhere according to Hudson’s Bay. “We have been able to secure transfer opportunities within Hudson’s Bay for the majority of impacted associates,” the retailer said in a statement.

---------
A source told Retail Insider that Hudson’s Bay was unable to come to an agreement with ASOS which led to Topshop’s pulling out of Canada’s Hudson’s Bay stores. Another source told Retail Insider that ASOS may offer Nordstrom the opportunity to carry the Topshop and Topman lines in its Canadian stores as is the case currently in the United States. We were not able to confirm this information by press time.

Retail Insider reached out to the Hudson’s Bay Company for comment for this story. A spokesperson for the retailer confirmed Topshop’s exit and noted that there are exciting youthful initiatives in the works for the retailer including the addition of new brands to its stores.

“Hudson’s Bay is growing its millennial and Gen Z offering through elevated brands and in-store experience,” the company said in a statement. “We have already introduced brands like Mango, Good American, Sweaty Betty, ALC, AFRM and Ganni, and are working to launch dozens of new, relevant brands and are anticipating an incredibly compelling fall line-up.”

Hudson’s Bay Downsizing Iconic Downtown Calgary Flagship Store to 3 Retail Floors

June 2, 2021

The iconic downtown Calgary Hudson’s Bay store is reducing its retail footprint by consolidating its operations over three levels at its flagship location in the heart of the city.

“As we operate with a digital-first mindset, Hudson’s Bay is redefining the role of the store. In Calgary, we are rightsizing the shopping space to improve productivity and profitability, while at the same time enhancing the overall experience for customers,” said the company in a statement.

“Without any reduction to products, services or staff, the store will utilize three floors as retail space. Beginning this fall we will also fulfill orders through microdistribution from the store, increasing speed of delivery to thebay.com customers in the West.”

The company would not say what is happening to the fourth and fifth levels.

Level 6 is an event space called Hudson that is operated by Toronto-based Oliver & Bonacini and Level 7 is a gym. The building is owned by the Hudson’s Bay Company and RioCan in a joint venture.

Back