News   Apr 19, 2024
 592     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 618     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Hudson's Bay Company

HBC Queen St remains open despite lockdown:

A company spokesperson said the store is “essential” because it sells groceries.

HBC told the Star Monday that Pusateri’s, located in the Saks outlet adjacent to the Bay, is open. The Pusateri’s website says the location is closed and not expected to reopen until January because of “limited access.”

When I was in there 2 weeks ago, Pusateri's was locked down tight, no access at all, except in the common corridors to escalators and the subway.

Last edited:
It was called out during Ford’s presser today. They are really stretching to call themselves essential.

I think that eventually the Bay on Queen will close. If they are the only thing open and starting to rack up major sales during Christmas at the expense of small business they will be forced to close. The public perception is that they are a department store selling clothes, bedding and housewares not groceries or pharmaceuticals.

I did not agree with the premiers response when he said it would impossible to close certain parts of a store. Shoppers does it all the time without any issues on the holidays.

When I was in there 2 weeks ago, Pusateri's was locked down tight, no access at all, except in the common corridors to escalators and the subway.
Not much has changed. It’s now accessible from the Saks escalator. It’s a very small part of Pusateri’s footprint and appears to be mostly dry goods.

Last edited:
Not much has changed. It’s now accessible from Saks escalator. It’s a very small part of Pusateri’s footprint and appears to be mostly dry goods.

The Premiers Office came out earlier today and said The Bay on Queen does not qualify to be open. Only big box stores with a FULL SCALE grocery component are considered essential. The Bay and Ikea do not mean that criteria despite selling food.

The Premiers Office came out earlier today and said The Bay on Queen does not qualify to be open. Only big box stores with a FULL SCALE grocery component are considered essential. The Bay and Ikea do not mean that criteria despite selling food.

That makes sense. With The Bay couldn't the bottom floor qualify?

That makes sense. With The Bay couldn't the bottom floor qualify?

No because it is not full scale grocery. As I said.. the public perception of the bay is that they primarily sell non-essential goods like bed sheets and clothes.

No amount of grocery items will convince me they are essential.

No because it is not full scale grocery. As I said.. the public perception of the bay is that they primarily sell non-essential goods like bed sheets and clothes.

No amount of grocery items will convince me they are essential.

Christmas Street is essential.

I went to Apple today at Eaton Centre for a curbside pick-up (that's actually inside the mall). I noticed afterwards that Saks/Hudson's Bay now has "closed" signs posted at the entrance.

That is a rather liberal interpretation of the word "curbside."

The Apple Store nearest to me is also in a mall. "Curbside" pickup is by appointment only (you can get an appointment as early as 8 am before anything else at the mall is open). No line ups, no crowds, super efficient.

Downtown Winnipeg’s Hudson’s Bay store closes Monday, earlier than scheduled

Nov 30, 2020

The Hudson's Bay Company store in Downtown Winnipeg has officially shut its doors as of Monday, Nov. 30, for good, even though it was scheduled to close in early 2021.

In a statement to CTV News, a spokesperson for the company said the current COVID-19 situation in Manitoba led to the closure.

"In light of recently announced restrictions on non-essential retail by the Government of Manitoba, we have made the decision to close this location today," the spokesperson said.

The iconic landmark was originally supposed to close in February 2021, because of shifting consumer behaviours and changes to how and where people shop.

The store and building had faced problems over the last several years and a recent appraisal of the building from a real-estate evaluator said the building was worth $0.

Cushman & Wakefield ULC said in its appraisal that it would cost millions to sell the building.

Downtown Winnipeg’s Hudson’s Bay store closes Monday, earlier than scheduled

Nov 30, 2020

The Hudson's Bay Company store in Downtown Winnipeg has officially shut its doors as of Monday, Nov. 30, for good, even though it was scheduled to close in early 2021.

In a statement to CTV News, a spokesperson for the company said the current COVID-19 situation in Manitoba led to the closure.

"In light of recently announced restrictions on non-essential retail by the Government of Manitoba, we have made the decision to close this location today," the spokesperson said.

The iconic landmark was originally supposed to close in February 2021, because of shifting consumer behaviours and changes to how and where people shop.

The store and building had faced problems over the last several years and a recent appraisal of the building from a real-estate evaluator said the building was worth $0.

Cushman & Wakefield ULC said in its appraisal that it would cost millions to sell the building.

Why do I get the sense that 2021 will be the year where HBC becomes insolvent?

Back